SIT South Africa: Social and Political Transformation

SIT South Africa: Social and Political Transformation

Explore the dynamic socioeconomic, political, and cultural processes of South Africa — an extraordinarily diverse country in transition.

Following decades of systematic segregation under apartheid, South Africa is striving to free itself of a legacy of racial discrimination, economic exploitation, and political authoritarianism to build a democratic and equitable regime. Nation building is a complex process that involves reconciling the past and forging the way to a common future.

Please visit our website for more information by clicking on "Visit Site" above!

You have the option of a four-week internship on this program. It will provide you with an opportunity to gain hands-on experience with an organization in Durban doing work on one of the many issues presented throughout the program. You will have the option of choosing an SIT-approved internship or seeking out your own opportunity.

Africa » South Africa » Durban
Africa » South Africa
African Studies
Peace Studies
Sociology

Mariana
Chicago, IL
Hope College

Go to Durban and have the time of your life!

I went to Durban not knowing what to expect and walked away knowing it was one of the best experiences of my life. I had never been out of the country so as an African American to go to an African country was a privilege and a phenomenal experience. I fell in love with the city. I loved learning Zulu. The SIT staff are all amazing people who do everything they can to make your experience great. My ISP has informed my future career aspirations as I now want to pursue a career in Church ministry. My time in Durban will forever be a highlight of my life, let it be a highlight of yours too!

I wish that the program was longer than three and a half months as I was not ready to leave.

Amelia
Saint Michael's College

Durban: Social and Political Transformation

Best semester of my life. Staff was amazing, learned so much, ISP was an experience I will cherish forever. Fell in love with South Africa. Rural village, Mandela's memorial, internship at Missing Persons Task Team, and the lifelong friends were the best parts. Never thought I'd get to live on the beach with my best friends, learn Zulu, discover the fates of political disappearances, learn from a man who was on the TRC and exiled, hear Obama speak at Mandela's memorial, and fall so in love with a new place and people. Best decision I ever made was to study abroad in Durban.

Would have liked a few lectures on South African economics.

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in multiple locations. In addition to