CIEE Business + Tourism in Palma de Mallorca, Spain

Study alongside locals at CIEE’s partner school, Universitat de les Illes Balears (UIB), as you advance your degree and improve your Spanish skills on a stunning island in the Mediterranean. Students can delve into hospitality, recreation management, and business in the country’s top tourism program or choose from a wide range of courses including science, engineering, literature, social sciences, and humanities. You can even add an internship for real-world work experience in one of Palma’s many booming sectors. All courses are complemented with CIEE co-curricular activities and excursions beyond the city to enhance classroom learning and provide intercultural understanding.

• GAIN RELEVANT PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE and credit with an internship at a Palma enterprise or hotel.
  • EXPLORE NATURAL AND CULTURAL SITES, international and new-tech companies, areas of mass tourism and over-development, rural eco-tourist sites, and hotels.
  • TAKE YOUR BEGINNING OR ADVANCED SPANISH SKILLS to new heights in a stunning Mediterranean setting.

New Virtual Global Innovation Internship: CIEE x Hacker Exchange!

For ambitious students (who aren’t going to let something as inconvenient as a global pandemic impact their future plans).

Combine a 1-week entrepreneurial bootcamp with global industry professionals with a with 7- or 11-week virtual internship at companies around the world and gain job-ready skills to get you hired!

CIEE Scholarships
CIEE Offers More Than $8 Million in Scholarships Every Year!

$500 - $2,500

Julia

Business + Tourism

I took 2 tourism classes, a Spanish class, and an internship class to go along with my internship in a 4-star hotel on the beach.
The island is a very unique place to study abroad because while it is touristy, it is not a big city. There is easy access to beaches, mountains, the school, city life, shopping restaurants, and anything else.
All the homestays are well-equipped and centrally located. The bus brings you right to school and most other places you would want to go.
There is a great orientation at the beginning and optional group activities throughout the semester.
The classes are a good amount of work to feel like you are in school while still having plenty of time to live life and explore the island and take trips.
There is amazing support and the directors are very helpful, nice and welcoming.
My Spanish has definitely improved, but it is up to the student to make the effort because it is very easy to speak English here all the time other than with the homestay and one Spanish class.
You really have to make the experience your own and make the effort to explore, make foreign friends, and speak Spanish but the program is extremely well run.
Some things to note that surprised me:
They have their own version of Catalan called Mallorquin which most people are bilingual in with Spanish. 3 out of your 4 or 5 classes are run by CIEE, meaning they are only with the American students in your program.

Sara

Incredible semester abroad!

I decided to study abroad in order to experience a new culture, improve my Spanish speaking skills, and gain global work experience in the tourism industry. My expectations were far exceeded! The island of Mallorca is so diverse and there is so much to explore. You can spend a morning walking the charming streets of Palma, grabbing coffee and a croissant, chatting with locals and then an afternoon at the beach, swimming in the clear water and soaking up the sun. It is simple to navigate the island and definitely worth it because of the breathtaking mountains and all the different villages that are about an hour bus ride away. One of my favorite things to do was explore the markets, sprinkled throughout the city, with loads of local produce and vendors who love to chat. I loved being able to practice my Spanish with my host mom, professors, neighbors, and locals. Everyone was welcoming and accepting. My advisors were extremely helpful, even before I arrived in Spain. They answered numerous emails and were always there to support me throughout my time with them. Classes were fun, interactive, and beneficial to my degree in tourism. It was a really cool experience to attend a Spanish university and be surrounded by Spanish college students, with whom I could make friends. I was paired with two girls native to Mallorca with whom I met with weekly to speak one hour in Spanish and one hour in English so we could both improve our conversational speaking skills. My internship experience with a local hotel really made my time abroad. I was able to truly immerse myself in the company, speaking mostly Spanish, and the work I was completing was benefiting the company. It was professional and I have been able to utilize the skills I learned with the company now that I am back in the states, applying my experience directly to my degree and adding a standout internship to my resume. I felt at home and included by my coworkers, always laughing and smiling. I was also able to travel Europe on breaks and long weekends which was incredible. The group of students I studied abroad with were all unique but we bonded over our collective curiosity and wanderlust, traveling to places I only ever dreamed of visiting. Overall, my experience changed my perspective on the world, making the globe feel smaller. My confidence is higher because my experience showed me that I can fluidly adapt to a new culture, communicate effectively in another language, and work efficiently within the tourism industry around the globe. I am grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the CIEE Business + Tourism Program in Mallorca and have made lifelong friends, mentors, and memories.

Kat Maloney
Kat

Best program ever!!!!

I can't say enough amazing things about this study abroad destination or the program themselves. I honestly believe that CIEE was the best program to study abroad through. They are professional, helpful and so kind. They will make your abroad experience as easy and fun as possible. I also believe that Palma was the BEST place to go abroad to! My homestay family became a second family to me, I learned so much in my classes at the university (which are a lot of fun!), and I learned more Spanish than I even knew I would! The social scene in Palma is never dull and there is always so much to do at every hour of the day. It sure is one beautiful island. Study abroad in Palma, you will never regret it!!

I honestly did not have any issues with this program. It was very professional, while really fun at the same time!