SIT Switzerland: Global Health & Development Policy

Examine models of health systems, global health policy, international organizations (IOs), and nongovernmental organizations (NGOs) in Geneva. Experience the practical applications of health and development programs during an excursion to Morocco.

This program examines public health systems, health policy, and development from the international nexus of Geneva. Particular emphasis is placed on the role played by international agencies, civil society actors, and the public sector in shaping health policy and systems.

The program investigates prominent issues dominating the international health and development arena, including: healthcare interventions in complex emergencies; mental health; health security; access to medicines; and vulnerable groups such as migrants. Students also examine critical links between health, the environment, and development, focusing in particular on nutrition and water.

Muskaan

Great experience, broadened my understanding of Global Health

This experience was honestly everything I would have wanted my study abroad experience to look like.
Even though it was not extremely academically challenging, I learned so much that I would not have been able to learn in the typical classroom setting. I am a Public health major at my home university and this experience really broadened my understanding of what a career in the Global Health field looks like. We attended briefings at various International organizations such as the WHO and the UN and we had the opportunity to hear from professionals working in the field which was very awesome. This also gave me the opportunity to develop my professional communication skills.

Apart from academics, I also had the opportunity to travel to neighboring countries. The train system in Switzerland is very efficient and easy to use, so I was able to really explore Switzerland as well.

Switzerland is quite expensive, so it is important to budget. Instead of eating out at restaurants everyday you could get groceries at either migros or coop.
Karina

A semester full of beauty, adventure, empowerment, and growth!

The program offered everything I was looking for personally and professionally. It gave me an introduction to global health. It increased my awareness and knowledge of human rights. It propelled me to tackle a new language that I love and will continue to learn. It empowered me by putting me in places I only dreamed of, but now I know that I can one day go back to as a professional.

It was extremely worthwhile. I was able to expand my global lens and really learn what it means to be a citizen of the world! I gained a new perspective on the issues that our world is currently facing, and how I can utilize my education and skills to tackle these problems. I stepped out of my comfort zone and was able to become more confident in my abilities and discover new things about myself. The small and big experiences I had each taught me something either about myself, others or some aspect of the world we live in. I gained a greater appreciation for nature and other things. Lastly this experience and the individuals I met influenced the life I want to live as I move forward!

Switzerland is expensive but there are ways you can stretch out your budget to last longer. Buy at grocery stores rather than eating out often. Migros and Coop are reasonably priced. If you are traveling with somebody else, consider splitting meals when eating out.
Josie

Learn from briefings. Learn at the humanitarian capital of the world

This program exposed me to humanitarian aid and global health and what people can do to get involved. The different briefings at different organizations exposed me to an array of different career options. Morocco was also a very special experience. There was much more cultural interaction and exposure in Morocco. The academics in this program is not rigorous which I recommend taking advantage of by traveling. Explore the surrounding countries and explore Switzerland (use the Swiss Pass! You can even go to parts of France and Italy with it). Not the right program if you really want to improve French. The right program if you want to learn more about global health.

More interest from the staff, better lecturers, early peer interaction support, more local interaction, more exposure to local culture