SIT Tanzania: Wildlife Conservation and Political Ecology

SIT Tanzania: Wildlife Conservation and Political Ecology

Explore the balance between ecological concerns and socioeconomic objectives in the vast wilderness expanses of northern Tanzania.

Major topics of study include:

Wildlife ecology
Conservation, environmental issues, and national park management
Life and culture, history, politics/economics, and current events
Relationships between socioeconomic objectives, ecological parameters, and cultural transitions from multi scale/actor perspectives in various Tanzanian landscapes

Africa » Tanzania » Arusha
Arusha

Ed
USA
Colby College

This semester in Tanzania was life-changing for me.

I did this semester in Tanzania way back in 1995. In addition to opening my eyes to real-world integrated conservation and development, it helped me grow as an independent learner.

From the start, the program helped us build basic field skills- from getting around in Arusha and elsewhere to doing wildlife tracking and walking transects. The program had a good curriculum to complement the field components as well.

Just under a decade later, after graduate study at Brandeis and some environmental work, I returned to Tanzania to do my PhD field work in Dar es Salaam. I even remembered how to speak Swahili (with a little practice with strangers on buses ("dala dalas").

The practical skills and emotional resilience that the SIT semester taught me helped me get through all the roadblocks and setbacks I ran into. I knew the country, the language, and the culture by then. Adapting to difficult situations and working with people to overcome challenges was critical for the completion of my PhD fieldwork. My SIT semester was priceless.

I'm now an independent water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH) professional who provides research and proposal writing support to NGOs and donors (USAID, World Bank, UNICEF). I write about all things water, sanitation, and international development at my blog. Feel free to say hello.

Ed

N/A

Ethan
London, United Kingdom

Amazing Experience!

The Experiment for International Living came to my school in Connecticut and I was very interested in becoming part of their summer program. I chose Tanzania because I never would have thought to go there on my own. On the trip I not only learned more about Tanzanian wildlife, ecology and culture but was able to experience it all first hand. From living with a host family for a week to driving through the glorious Ngorongoro Crater, the adventure never stopped. Another aspect of the trip I thoroughly enjoyed, was the last week and a half of traveling through different tribal villages and national parks and being able to camp and learn with the traditional tribes of Tanzania. Everyone on the trip was very friendly and welcoming to us and this was a trip I will never forget.

The organization in certain places we stayed, staying in one place for one or two days longer instead of hopping from place to place.

SIT has been providing immersive, field-based study abroad programs for undergraduates for more than 50 years. SIT offers more than 70 programs in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Latin America, and the Middle East, as well as comparative programs in multiple locations. In addition to