GirlCode Gap Semester Program

The GirlCode Gap Semester is designed for a group of self-directed, independent women who want to learn to code and be immersed in a growing startup. Explore yourself, New York, computer science, and alternative education.

Why Learn to Code?

Coding allows you to develop critical thinking and problem solving skills to break down difficult challenges into logical and actionable steps. After completing the GirlCode Program, you could land a junior software engineering role and make upwards of $70K, forge your path in the world of alternative education, start your own company, or have a clear sense of what you want to study in college.

Why GirlCode?

It’s 2016 and only 18% of software engineers are women. The GirlCode Program is designed to change that statistic and empower a community of passionate women to use technology to solve big problems in the world.

• Our team will help align the GirlCode Program to your goals in order for you to focus, develop, and hone in on the skills you are passionate about
  • ​Take tech trips to visit New York’s biggest startups like Facebook, Google, Tumblr, or Buzzfeed
  • Each week, you will be sent a list of curated startup events to help you delve into the NY tech scene and explore New York, network and indulge your interests

Isabella

A fantastic program!

My three month experience with the coding space was everything I could hope for. The people were friendly, fun and especially helpful. Most importantly, I learned a lot throughout the semester not only about programming but also about startups, the workings of a company and about the city of New York. I was encouraged to go to as many tech events as possible which meant that in the end I was able to see the insides of companies such as Spotify, Buzzfeed and Wells Fargo. I even got a private tour of Google!

What I particularly loved about the program was how customisable it was. I was able to chose what I wanted to focus on. In the end, instead of choosing to learn Javascript I chose to focus on Eimacs (a program that focuses on computer science logic and mathematical logic) and I also learned some Python. I am extremely happy with the progress I was able to make.

Another key aspect of the program was being able to help younger children to learn to program too. This was especially rewarding as by the end I had formed a bond with many of the kids. It was a valuable experience to watch them progress into young coders.

Overall I’m very grateful for everything that The Coding Space has taught me and I’ll never forget this experience!

Isabel

Super inspiring program

I did this program for three months in the fall of 2017 during my gap year. I didn’t know much about coding when I started, but wanted to learn something new and useful without the school pressure and as a bonus explore my favorite city. This program gave me all of this and more!

There’s so many things I love about this program. First of all the team is super friendly and helpful. Everyone is really passionate about what they’re working with which is really motivating and inspiring.

New York has a lot of cool tech events every week, where you can go in the evening to learn about interesting topics (and often get free food). One of the highlights from the program was a tour at Google, with a friend of Nicole (working as a software engineer at Google) as our tour guide.

Then there’s the coding part. There are so many reasons why I will recommend everyone to learn to code. First of all there are a lot of job opportunities and it will look good on your resume. But the reason I loved it, is because while doing it you’re also learning logical thinking and problem solving, which you can apply in your everyday life.

The program is different from many other coding programs, because you have a lot of freedom and flexibility. You get to learn in your own pace and in a lot more independent way than what I was used to from school, where the teaching method was a lot more traditional. This requires that you are proactive and take responsibility for your own learning. You need to be patient, do your best and most importantly believe in yourself and don’t give up when it gets hard.

Best regards,
Isabel Slorer

Sally

This program changed my life!

Before I started The GirlCode Gap Semester, I was had never coded and didn't know what I wanted to study in college. I had heard about coding, but I didn't really know what it was. When I joined, the team worked with me to help go over my goals and set a individualized plan for my semester. Each morning, I would learn how to code. I started to fall in love with it! I also got to shadow and intern with different parts of The Coding Space to see what areas interested me the most.

I also really enjoyed being able to teach kids how to code in the afternoons. It was such a great way to practice coding and break down the concepts to make sure an 8 year old could understand.

The program is small and entirely customized to you, which I loved. Now I decided to study Computer Science at Georgetown University. I am so grateful for my experience with the GirlCode Gap Semester and would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in technology!

It is very small, so if you are looking for a large group, this program is not for you. Because it is so small, you can get a very personalized learning experience.

About The Coding Space

The Coding Space is a NYC based after school program to empower and teach kids how to code and build critical thinking skills. We offer Gap Year Programs to empower young adults to find their passions, explore alternative education, coding, and New...