- United States of America
View Other Details
The Pine Ridge Indian Reservation is an Oglala Lakota Indian reservation located in the U.S. state of South Dakota. Originally included within the territory of the Great Sioux Reservation, Pine Ridge was created by the Act of March 2, 1889, 25 Stat. 888. in the southwest corner of South Dakota on the Nebraska border. Today it consists of 3,468.85 square miles of land area and is one of the largest reservations in the United States.
In this unique 10-week on-the-ground program, you'll take online classes at your home university, while living and working in rural Pine Ridge. You'll likely be with an organization that focuses on one of these themes:
• Sustainable development
• Cultural learning and exchange
• Environmental issues
• Land rights
The application deadline for the fall semester can be as late as August 1.
- Enjoy excursions to Crazy Horse Monument, Sweat Lodges, Badlands National Park, Black Hills, and other amazing places.
- Engage in a minimum of 10 hours of volunteer service per week and do more if you want!
- Pick another ten-week block in the same or different country if you’re not ready to go home just yet!
- Receive local support from Amizade’s site director.
- Combine online classes with everyday life and community service in South Dakota.