Study Abroad in Wales, UK

Study Abroad in Wales, UK

Making international students feel at home in Swansea

Moving away from home can be a daunting prospect for many, especially international students, but Swansea University prides itself on offering a welcoming, homely environment; delivering a rare opportunity to live and learn in a multicultural setting, where customs, traditions and views from far off lands can be shared, thus expanding personal perspectives and enriching their experiences.

Situated right on the coast of South Wales in the UK, Swansea is a thriving, forward-thinking city set within a stunning area of outstanding natural beauty. We are the closest university to a beach in the world and one of the most affordable university cities in the UK - all just 3 hours from London!

With more than 30 years' experience in Study Abroad you can trust that Swansea University has the expertise to provide you with a professional programme of study and support. We are a truly multi-cultural university with around 16,000 students from over 120 countries making us
large enough to offer a wide choice of academic, sporting and social activities, yet small enough to provide a safe and welcoming community.

• Closest university to a beach in the world!
  • Just 3 hours from London by train
  • Close to Cardiff & Bristol International Airports for short cheap flights to most major cities in Europe!
  • Low cost of living/affordable student lifestyle - UK Top 20 most affordable student cities
  • A World Top 200 University for International Students
Media Relations
Public Relations
Social Sciences
Application Fee
This is an approximate starting price covering tuition fees and accommodation for a Spring Semester (Feb to June - 20 weeks).

Please contact your Study Abroad office at your home university for specific 2017/18 program costs.

If your university is not yet one of our partners and you are applying directly, please email us on [email protected]

Budget Friendly Alternitive to London with Tons of Natural Beauty

Swansea University is located in Wales, about an hour train ride away from Cardiff the capital city. The campus I spent all of my time one was Singleton Park, which is the older of the two campuses. Singleton Park was about a 15-25 minute bus ride from the Student Village where I lived, while Bay Campus was about a 45- 60 minutes away . Overall the student accommodation where I lived were not the best, but they are being closed soon since newer accommodations on both campus are available. Those that I knew who lived on either campus rather than the Student Village had none of the problems that I faced due to the construction that was occurring on site.
I highly recommend taking the Per-Sessional Class that is offer to incoming exchange student. Not only do you learn about the history and political environment in U.K, but you also get to take fun trips to Bath, the Gower and the Mumbles, and Cardiff! I'll attach a few images of these trips bellow. This course allow me an extra few weeks to transition to Swansea and get important paper work out of the way before classes started. I was more prepared than my soon-to-be friends who showed up a few days before classes started.
Overall the Go Global staff were amazing. They had a nice training day before regular classes started, this is when we registered for classes. There was free food and trivia games. It was a fun activity and I had a bit of a leg up due to the Pre-sessional course. Classes only meet a few times a week and both my grades were based on two papers. Keep in mind that their grading scale is different and what they are looking for is also different from the school in the US. Though you should be fine to pass your class, and do well if you aren't too busy taking in all the natural beauty on the beach just a few second away from both campus! I highly recommend studying at Swansea University, because it will be an amazing experience that you wont forget.

Time of my Life

Studying Abroad in Swansea was one of the better decisions of my life. From an Academic standpoint, it was pretty straight forward. The class sizes were fine and faculty attention was adequate. Overall, they were business courses that didn't vary too much from those in the States. What set Swansea apart for me was the familial vibe from the extra-curriculars and also the housing. It felt like there was always something to do, a Uni-sponsored trip to go on, and I loved that "organized" was not synonymous with "lame." The University, its volunteers and the students all shared a pride and a fun spirit that was irreplaceable. Above all else, the housing at Hendrefoelan Student Village simply made the experience. To live in a house with 10 others, some exchange students, others native to Wales or the UK, it was priceless. Everyone was extremely warm, welcoming and simply a family. Within days I was a part of house dinners, trips to the bars; by the end of the semester, it felt like I was parting ways with family members. I felt closer to the 30 friends (in my corner of the village) than any of my life over that time period. We had "House Football" tournaments every weekend on the local soccer pitch that will ring with echoes of banter lore for decades. I traveled 13 countries while in Europe. No city brought better memories than my days in Swansea-- and it's not even close.

Perhaps an optional 1-on-1 meeting with the professors. Otherwise, it was outstanding.

Swansea University - Exchange/Study Abroad

Coming on exchange from my home university to Swansea was one of the best decisions of my life. I initially arrange a 6 month student exchange but ended up extending my stay for a full year because I was having such a good time.
The university is great with an awesome student union, there's always fun events on and there's a great night life in town and around campus. The classes were interesting with very good lecturers and support staff as well as taking advantages of the unique location (e.g. Marine Science work out in Swansea Bay/Bristol Channel, engineering field work in the surrounding areas, etc.).
Best of all was living in the student village and getting to meet some amazing people from all over the world. I would highly recommend studying at Swansea unversity to anyone considering it.

Swansea Study Abroad- 10/10, would recommend

Literally, just commit. Sign-up. Pay the down payment. Whatever it may be, if you have any doubts about this program whatsoever, ignore them and take a leap of faith. This program and Swansea University as a whole was one of the best decisions I could have ever made. I originally never planned on studying abroad, but I'm 100% glad I made the decision to participate in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity because it's changed who I am as a person in such a great way. I'm so much more of an 'adult' now than I ever was, and I'm loads more knowledgeable with how the world works. With studying abroad experience under my belt, I'm more keen to graduate and move somewhere where I have to start a whole new life- it's given me the courage to do so.
First and foremost, Wales is incredibly beautiful and lush. Studying at Swansea gives you ample time to roam around and take in all the natural beauty like the Gower and Rhossili. As classes are set at your own pace with very minimal deadlines to meet (as there's typically only a final at the end of term), this gives you a massive amount of time to explore and travel. The weather itself isn't dreadful, either. It doesn't rain terribly hard at all and instead only drizzles. I'm from Texas where the temperature is a constant boil, and I managed to adjust really well to the wind and cold.
Secondly, you get to make so many friends abroad. I now have friends all over the world from Australia to Germany to Canada. In this sense, not only do you get to learn about Welsh culture, but you get to learn about so many other countries plus the ones you get to travel around to. After my five months were over, I had visited 10 countries including Iceland and Hungary (my favourites by far).
Tips: pack light (you never even use half your wardrobe, I promise. And more room for souvenirs!), integrate and become a local (I always went to the same coffee shop, met lots of sweet locals who I still keep in contact with), get the National Express discount card and the railcard

The only improvements to this program that I wished for when I studied here is the housing conditions. Originally, I was told that I would be living on Bay Campus which is where my classes were located. Turns out they filled up, and I was instead placed in the Hendrefoelan Student Village. The Student Village itself is a constructions site (which is thankfully being torn down soon so no one else has to suffer). We constantly had to deal with water/power outages, a laundromat that worked 1/5 times, and buses that would or would not run to HSV because of all the construction. Furthermore, our flat itself was wasp infested, and management did very little to help.

Response from Swansea University

Hi Charlene - thanks so much for leaving such great feedback! We're so glad to know you had a great time during your Study Abroad experience here at Swansea University and how highly you recommend it to others.

I wanted to take the opportunity to respond to your comments about the Student Village. We do of course take your feedback seriously and I have followed up on this directly with our Residential Services team.

Swansea University is in a very positive stage of growth currently with new buildings and refurbishments going on across both campuses. It was our understanding that all students had been made aware of the ongoing building works at Hendrefoelan Student Village now that the site has been sold and will be closing down in the next couple of years. We recognise the inconvenience and disturbance this causes but it is generally felt that it was being managed well and extensive redecoration has taken place this year to improve the look and feel of the flats in the meantime.

I confirm that the following notice has been widely circulated this year and every student should receive a copy in their tenancy agreement:

We would like to take this opportunity to advise you in advance that as Swansea University continues to expand and grow, we have on-going construction taking place in and around the residences in order to facilitate our ever increasing demand for academic provision and accommodation. As such there may be
some occasional disruption caused by construction works, which will be closely monitored and hours regulated by the university. There are building works taking place around the residences at Hendrefoelan Student Village which will continue throughout 2017/2018 session.

In response to your comments regarding the launderette: the launderette is owned and run by the Students’ Union so Residential Services do not have any control over it. They confirm they did have an issue getting some parts for machines which had broken down and they issued an apology for this to the students. We're sorry you were inconvenienced by this delay.

As regards the wasps – the Residential Services team have checked with the HSV site staff and confirm they called in the Pest Control team when the issue was reported. They only found a small number of wasps in the flat, however they did return the following day to treat the problem.

Thank you again for raising these concerns with us and very best wishes with the rest of your studies back in Texas.

About Swansea University

Studying abroad represents an excellent opportunity to broaden your horizons. Student meet people from other cultures and immerse themselves in local cultures. More and more employers are looking for people with experience of living abroad, cultural...