Teach English in Cambodia with LanguageCorps

Teach English in Cambodia with LanguageCorps

In Cambodia, LanguageCorps offers four different programs, giving you the flexibility to choose a program that fits your needs. The four programs are TESOL Certification, TESOL Plus, Flagship, and Volunteer. The TESOL Certification program includes a four week course, Khmer language and culture training, job placement assistance, and excursions. The TESOL Plus program includes everything in the TESOL Certification program, as well as housing, transportation, and emergency travel insurance. The Flagship program includes guaranteed personalized job placement, pre-departure support, and insurance.

All of LanguageCorp's teach in Cambodia program help you teach English abroad, gain new international experience, and enhance your resume.

Asia » Cambodia

• Facilities

Christopher
Raleigh, North Carolina

Program was a disaster

I will start this off by saying, I did not have to make any of this up or even embellish what I am about to say. This story wrote itself.

It started the night I arrived. Luckily I was with another student and got picked up pretty quickly, but they forgot about another girl who had to wait at the airport for hours before they remembered her.

I know that statement leaves a lot of questions. "Why didn't she call:? why didn't she email? why couldn't she ask around to get there?" Well, if you have never been to SEA before... She had just made it through the passport line, she didn't have access to WIFI because the airport there is not like the airports here in the west, she didn't have any idea where to get a sim card for her phone, ect.

So I got lucky. We all met each other, had a good time saying hi. The hotel was run down, even for Cambodia, and in a bad part of town. By that I mean its on a black river that smells like human waste, because it most likely is, and 2 women from the program were robbed within 300 feet of the front door of the hotel in 2 weeks. There is one shopping mall within walking distance, with ok access to food, but downtown is really where it is at. When you find out what your hotel could have been, and what your access to food, shopping, and entertainment could have been you will feel betrayed by the price you paid to stay at their hotel. Once word got out about how little it is to just stay at other, MUCH nicer hotels, people left to go do just that.

There is no work out equipment that works, nobody swam in the pool the first 2 weeks I was there, and we didn't have internet on my floor for 3 weeks. I wish I could show you a picture of the router and the set up,. All of the rooms had something wrong with them. My tv looked like someone had raked it with a blow torch and my fridge didn't work. So I stashed some things in the girl across the hall from me. The girl beside me had to use my room for warm water to shower with because hers didn't work, and we hung out in different rooms depending on whose air conditioning was working the best. The only good staff there, was the helpers.

Seriously, the one shining light in this program was 2 teachers. One lady was super nice and you could tell she really wanted to help people, and the guy was extremely difficult to understand and used some questionable examples (like making us clap to the word "suicide"), but he was also a pretty decent guy.

There are two older men who run the place and in my opinion, they are horrible (making inappropriate comments, etc.) One of them taught a few classes. and we HATED them. Imagine being in class for 2 hours saying "have you eaten yet? no, I'm hungry" .

If you do go here. Do not, and I repeat do not bother buying any of their packages for places to go. Just do a little research, you can get MUCH better hotels, better transportation, and do just as much stuff for literally 50% of the price they try to charge you. I'm not kidding, get your classmates together and just book everything yourself. Save yourself the money.

Everything about this program was a rip off. From what was promised on the website, to what we got in the hotel, to the packages they tried to sell us, to the "education" we received. Lets be perfectly clear here, this is a pay for a cert program. You aren't going to learn a SINGLE thing about actually teaching. Even when you go to the school to "teach" kids for a few weeks, they just throw you in with no idea on where the kids are or what they have learned already. My class in 14 kids in a classroom the size of a large closet, no air conditioning, and no clue where to start. No shadowing, no previous lesson plans, just "here, have fun!" Not to mention the best part of my class being aged anywhere from 4 - 10 years old. There was just no structure for us. If you get a job in Cambodia and actually teach there, it is a much better experience. I am not trying to dissuade you from going there to teach. There is a lot of really good and awesome teachers there doing amazing work. But you won't get that through this school.

This kind of leads me into job placement. Yes, they can get you a job. Which is with an.... ok? company? I didn't bother, if you throw your application out there online you can get a job easily enough by yourself. I had 20 interviews in a week, it is insanely easy to find a job in whatever country you want to work in. ASTON or whoever they work with is def not your only option. Look around. The last week was supposed to be culture classes and some basic language courses. They had to last minute find someone to bring in for China. The lady didn't speak hardly any English, we ended up teaching her as much English as she taught us Chinese. So the culture part of the class was nonexistent because she couldn't tell us anything about the country we were about to go into. Again, not a big deal if you are doing your research and know what you are getting into. But I feel bad for people who are just jumped into this expecting to learn along the way. Those people will be very lost.

There are much, much better programs out there. If you don't want to try, don't mind being lied to, and don't mind minimal living conditions and you want to overpay for it then by all means go ahead. The excuse "what did you expect from Cambodia" is absolute BS when you discover what you could have had there. There are 100 areas they could improve, but they are just filtering money, they don't want to improve. We contacted the home office many, many times to complain about what was going on. We had students drop out of the course to go to other places. We did everything we could and even demanded money back (which we didn't get). Go somewhere else. Seriously, go somewhere else.

Lola
vietnam
University of Virginia

The program of last resort

The academic staff are excellent, they are experienced and provide good instruction. There ends the positive review.
Everything else about this course is cheap and nasty, classroom facilities, Wifi, printing, school/hotel staff/, cleanliness, the Marady hotel, relevance of practice teaching opportunities, these are all third world quality.
The scary bit is the director of the school/ owner of the hotel can't actually see any problems, if you can, go somewhere else.
They have now changed the course timetable to squeeze more students through the course and the hotel, increases the money they make but reduces the quality of the experience and training.

Jared
Utah
Weber State University

In-depth; thorough; complete

My title sums it well. Many things are covered I never would have thought of when teaching. You are consequently kept busy ... bordering on too busy ... and come away from a well taught course.
Instructors were good and impressively knowledgable. Accommodations were nice and the support staff in Cambodia is always there. A good country worth visiting and a people worth knowing.

superflylei
Shanghai China
Roger Williams University

LC Cambodia

I participated in LanguageCorps in July 2013. The program is an amazing experience, worth more than every penny I paid! This course is very rigorous but the staff always make sure to plan fun social activities for the students. I was so busy the entire 4 weeks in Cambodia, but it was a labor of love. We went on amazing weekend trips to Siem Reap and Sihanoukville, and I taught at a local international kindergarten and an orphanage as part of my student teaching. They also provide you with a 2 week crash course in the language of the country you chose, which has proven to be incredibly valuable!

I recommend this program to anyone looking to have the trip of a lifetime and get something valuable out of it. However, I do have some warnings (Cambodia is not for the faint of heart!). Most of them are in regards to the hotel we lived in.

-The Marady (the hotel) is on the outskirts of Phnom Penh, which we learned to love by the end but be warned that its a pricey tuk tuk ride if you want to go anywhere fun. The river that runs next to the Marady is lovingly referred to as "sh*t creek". The smell will permeate your windows if you are on that side of the building (we got used to it though)

-The tuk tuk drivers will always try to rip you off, even though they sort of work for the hotel

-The Marady food is quite possibly some of the worst in Cambodia, and you'll end up eating so much of it because of the hotels location (far out there). Also, DO NOT get the free hotel massage. Just don't do it.

-The pool is always murky and the "gym" consists of 2
or 3 very antiquated machines on a moldy rug in the middle of the pool bar.

-The guy who runs the program (and owns the Marady) is a cynical man who comes across as very cheap. Luckily you won't have to deal with him too much, and the rest of the staff is super friendly, knowledgable and awesome.

---------

I'm so glad I got to have this experience! It's so cool to experience a country like Cambodia first hand with some amazing guidance. I don't think there is another TESOL program quite like it out there.

The hotel we stayed in

SugarSpice
Seoul, Sout Korea
San Diego State University

LanguageCorps Asia

I graduated the course in the spring of this year. I happy with the academic side, but the director of LC Asia is irrational and moody and has little to no respect for students and staff. He regularly verbally abuses the staff in front of all the students at the Marady Hotel. The foreign staff were very helpful in general but the program director offered little to no assistance and never answered questions directly. He didn't appear to have any current knowledge about Cambodia and gave us misinformation about Thailand / Vietnam and the job scene.

I would advise against trusting anything the program director says and if you can't handle a very irritable director, then do not take the TESOL course at LanguageCorps Thailand, Cambodia, or Vietnam.

Mames
France

Get your TESOL and explore Cambodia!

I thoroughly enjoyed my TESOL course with LanguageCorps. It has a great staff which provides every students with lots of resources. They have a good relationship with a number of schools in PP and will provide support looking for jobs in the area after the program. Having the chance to teach in a local university was a great experience. After the first two weeks of basic training you are sent to the country you want to teach in to get situated and start learning the language. If you want to teach in China they set you up with a job even before you get to Cambodia. I would recommend this program to anyone interested in teaching English in Asia!

goodtwin
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Wentworth Institute of Technology

Cambodia

In Cambodia, the TEFL certificate is practically useless. Employers don't know much about TEFL certificates and don't care. The program is way too expensive for working in Cambodia especially because it doesn't cost them much to run the program in Cambodia. I have heard that the cost of living in Phnom Penh has gone up a lot in Cambodia in the last few years, but the pay rate hasn't and in some cases has even gone down (some have started taking tax out of pay, when before they didn't).

That being said, if you have the money, the program is okay in what it teaches. There aren't very many options for TEFL in Cambodia. If you plan to teach in other countries after, a TEFL certificate may be required (Vietnam or China maybe).

HeavyMetalFoodie
Shanghai, China

Teacher Training

In 2008 I joined Language Corps teacher training program. Not only was I able to visit, train and travel around Cambodia I was given invaluable tools that have stayed with me to this day.

The Cambodia Language Corps team were amazing, they handled everything professionally and were honest about the ESL teaching experience.

In the short time I was with them I was able to get the skills needed to sustain me in my current company and indeed give me the advantage over my competition during my most recent promotion.

Timmy69
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Pennsylvania State University

TESOL in Cambodia with LC

I have nothing but good things to say about the instructors. Everyone is very personable and has given me great assistance and advice.

However, I do have several criticisms.

1) The resume/CV building part of the course seemed, to me, to be just time filling nonsense. In two minutes there could have simply been a template designed on Microsoft Word and distributed to the students, rather than spend 1.5 hours writing on the board what needed to be done.

2) When the course was over, no one at the hotel (Marady Hotel) told me I would start to be charged the Saturday immediately following the conclusion of the course on Friday. One would think there would be at least a weekend grace period to find new accommodations. On the contrary, I went to check out on Sunday afternoon and found out they charged me for the two days. No one said anything about this beforehand nor offered any reminders.

3) The job assistance feature I felt was lacking. We were told to have a copy of the CV and a picture. But some of the "affiliated schools" (for lack of a better term) requested cover letters, glossy CV's, color pictures, etc. We were not adequately prepared for that and it was rather embarrassing. I got my job due to luck, I knew a teacher before hand and he got me in. A Language Corps friend of mine still does not have a job after 1 month and is now leaving for China.

Small potatoes though, I'm nickpicking on what otherwise was a fantastic experience with a great group. The trips to the beach and Angkor Wat were particularly memorable. I would do it again in a heartbeat. My criticism are more aimed at making the LC experience better as a whole, so as to grow your company even more.

joshua
Ho Chi Minh city

Housing and training

I felt that for the price paid for accommodation it was not good enough. All though it was nice it was still way more expensive than the local guesthouses which is pretty much the same but definitely more than half the price. The support given during the training was good but afterwards in terms of helping to find a job I felt there was not too much support.

pp
USA

Great Program/support to introduce you to the country and people, not necessarily to teaching

LanguageCorps was a great way to be introduced to a totally different country. I went to Cambodia in 2009. The one or two extremely helpful staff acted as your translator and helped figure out visa situations, housing, job placement and so many other little things that would be near impossible without the help of a local. The other amazing part of the program is bonding with your group of fellow teachers the first 2 weeks in Cambodia before most go off and teach in Thailand or Vietnam. You are instantly in a social scene with these people as well as the staff and the languagecorps alumni still living in Phnom Penh. Even when the groups separates after 2 weeks you now have friends to visit in surrounding countries.

As for the quality of the training, I was somewhat unimpressed for the price. One or two trainers were experienced educators and were able to pass on helpful knowledge for when we would start teaching. A few of the other trainers had no clue about teaching, but stood in front of us bumbling on and on to try and pass the few hours they had with us.
The refreshers in grammar, punctuation, and tenses were helpful although I still felt under-prepared once I started teaching. A lot of it is left up to you to learn as you go, which is ok and understandable since we only have 2 weeks together.

The following 2 weeks of in country training consisted of language training and practice teaching.

The Khmer language training was really great and allowed me to learn useful phrases and words right away. We even went out in a group to a small store and had to buy things without using English. The practice teaching was hit and miss. I ended up teaching to different random people everyday that were brought in to act as students. Others got to teach the same kids over and over at orphanages.

Overall I think langaugecorps is still worth it (if you get the more basic/cheaper packages). You will meet awesome people (local and fellow program participants) that you will bond with, you will get a nicer, smoother intro to a completely foreign country than if you were to show up and try to get work on your own. You will have a network or past and future languagecorps participants in your area.

No one can prepare you to teach English in a first world country in 1 month (people take 4 years to teach in their own country), however I think lanaguagecorps could have done a better job with the time they had with us. They know this and were trying to improve, so I'm sure its somewhat better now. Either way, if you understand this and know what your getting for your money I'd say do it.

JoW
Harrogate, England
Northeastern State University- Muskogee

LanguageCorps Cambodia 2010

The LanguageCorps program is great. It provides you with all the information and hours you need to succeed at teaching abroad.

After two weeks of classroom learning in Cambodia, I went to Thailand to do another two weeks of student teaching. I personally decided to return to Cambodia where local staff helped set me up with schools around Phnom Penh. I had a few job offers within two days, but I allowed about two weeks to choose the ones I really wanted.

I was qualified to teach at a university, a language school, a private high school/middle school and a grade school. So I did them all through two education systems!

LanguageCorps was not my first foray into the world of expatriate living (I had currently served in the US Peace Corps in Africa), but it was definitely a new and exciting experience.

I can't imagine taking TESOL classes in America and then applying them abroad. This program nailed it and I have already recommended it to a few friends.

Mulrich
Savannah, Georgia
Buckinghamshire New University

Excellent experience with LanguageCorps

With what the program claims to offer, I believe they do an excellent job of following through. I completed the course in October 2011 and had two teaching positions within the first week of certification, both of which I held until I returned home in February (most people work for at least a year, but I had only planned for a shorter stay). The course prepared me for the classes I taught, but it is only a four week course so do not expect to be mastered in teaching when you begin.

LanguageCorps is also always available for questions during your time there, when I needed a visa to enter Vietnam for a vacation they responded right away with the best place to get one and how much it should be. I also became friends with the local employees and it was nice to run into them around town and see a familiar face.

Although many people look at the cost of the program and wonder if it could be worth it, the first month alone includes two weekend trips (Angkor Wat and Sihanoukville), excellent housing, and transportation. Furthermore, within a few months of teaching, you can easily make up the cost of the program. It pays for itself, though, with the amount of networking, support, and comfort it provides in a completely foreign land.

LanguageCorps is a premier provider of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) certification programs. Our programs around the world empower our Teachers to thrive as professionals abroad, living in fascinating locations while gaining valuable experience teaching English.

Programs are available in 22 locations