Hello Academies: TEFL Course & Teach in Prague

Get TEFL Certified in Prague - Getting TEFL certified abroad gives students an advantage as you receive more hands-on teaching practice and are also able to look for jobs during the course in order to find full-time employment by the time the course is over. The Teaching English as a Foreign Language (also known as TESOL) certification qualifies you to find a paid teaching job overseas. A 4-week course prepares you for teaching grammar, speech and other necessary skills that are required when working at international schools.

Hello Academies in Prague is operated by Smaller Earth. It is a unique experience where Smaller Earth participants can learn to teach English, but at the same time, our participants from the Czech Republic also study English at the academy before they head out on their international adventures!

Hi, thanks for stopping by! There is no one right answer - budgets vary depending on your needs and expectations for your time abroad. We recommend contacting the program provider to learn more about what is customary. You can ask them a question at the bottom of this page: https://www.helloacademies.com/faq .
A bachelors degree is not always a requirement, but when you apply you will have a chat with the program coordinator who will talk you through those kind of details. Applying for a work permit here is pretty easy and only takes around a week!

• Benefits 9.7
  • Facilities 9.1
  • Instruction 9.7
  • Difficulty 7.7
  • Job Assistance 9.4
eric

great seesion

As we began our decent into Prague airport I was worried this whole thing of getting certified for tefl was a mistake. i have been proven wrong greatly. this has been a great learning experience and it has prepared me for success. such an activating experience. the knowledge and background of the staff are giant, they know just about all the answers to questions you may have. the decorum and presentations was always professional. i feel like the quality of teachers

yoga before each class, daily
florence

the best 4 weeks!!

I highly recommend taking this TEFL course! Martha, Becca, and Ashley are all AWESOME and SO HELPFUL! I genuinely cannot say enough positive things about the staff at Hello Academies and the course in general. They help you every step of the way and teach you everything you need to become a successful teacher. They are also great at helping you find a job and making sure you can do everything easily. As an added bonus, Prague is awesome and a beautiful city! This TEFL course is literally worth every penny - JUST DO IT!!

NOTHING ITS AWESOME :)
Josie

Great Opportunity!

If you are considering doing a TEFL course, definitely put this one on your list! With 120 hours in class teaching, 6 hours of student teaching, and several hours of observation in addition to the fact that it's in Prague, you really can't beat the experience! Additionally, the fact that housing is included for the duration of the class makes this program a lot less stressful than many others. I feel 100% more confident in my skills as a EFL teacher than I ever imagined I could.

One big thing that was an issue during my month was the consistency of the lessons the instructors were teaching. Overall, they were all great and knowledgeable, however occasionally they would teach things in direct contridiction with each other and that made things confusing at times. They were always willing to clarify though!
Lucas

Awesome TEFL Certification Experience!

Hello Academies is one of the premier TEFL Certification Programs in Prague. The materials provided prepare you to jump directly into the amazing world of teaching English abroad. The instructors are great and are always willing to help. Furthermore, the smaller class size of this program ensures that the program feels more like a family. There are a handful of events throughout the course, and you are connected with Hello Academies Alumni so that you have a great network of English-speaking expats right of the bat. On top of a great community aspect, the program offers gret suport in getting a job after finishing the course - I was employed by a language school that presented at Hello Academies within a week of graduating. Overall, Hello Academies provides an awesome balance between preparing you to succeed as an English teacher as well as making the experience totally enjoyable.

One tricky part about moving to Prague is finding a flat afterwards. The program helps by finding flats on certain websites but it does take a certain amount of initiative to find a great spot - especially in September or October when there is a huge influx of Erasmus students and demand for houses is really high. As long as you are willing to seek help from Hello Academies employees, they are always willing to help.
Anna

Wonderful Experience

I could not be happier with my decision to do my TEFL certification in Prague with Hello Academies. I looked into many opportunities in order to get certified and I am so fortunate that I stumbled upon Hello Academies. The course is intensive and a great learning experience, you will come out knowing a lot about the english language that you may have forgotten or never knew in the first place. You will spend your days in the class room with the TEFL director Martha and let me tell you this woman is amazing! Martha is full of energy and very entertaining which is important because there is A LOT of material to cover in 28 days. The course can be challenging but Martha is there to guide you each step of the way. Martha does a great job of making you feel comfortable and helping you to become a confident teacher. She is incredibly knowledgable when it comes to the english language and her teaching methods are very effective.

During the month in Prague you will become very close with your fellow students, Martha and Becca. Becca is very helpful when it comes to anything and everything you may need during your stay in Prague. She helps with housing, transportation , events around the city and helping students to find apartments and jobs after the program. Becca is very approachable and a welcoming which is important when moving to a new city. One day during class I was not feeling too well ( the run to the bathroom and head in the toilet kind of sick). Becca was so helpful and accompanied me on the tram home and brought me ginger ale to help me feel better. Becca does a great job of connecting students with the alumni and coordinating events in Prague. This really enhanced my experience and helped with making friends in the city!

Overall, doing your TEFL in Prague with Hello Academies is a great choice and you will fall in love with Prague!

The program could be improved if more information was provided about the visa application process for Americans. I would recommend that students apply for a visa appointment at an embassy outside of the Czech Republic before they arrive in Prague. It takes around 30 days to get the appointment.
Molly

Amazing 4 weeks!

I had a great experience getting TEFL certified at Hello`Academies in Prague. The programme is well organised and fully prepares you to teach English abroad. Everyone on the course is so supportive - Martha and Becca are both so helpful and passionate about what they do. By taking the course, I've not just gained TEFL certification but lifelong friendships and memories that will last a lifetime! :)

Margaret

TEFL in Prague

This course has been one of the most amazing experiences for me! I have learned so much from my trainers, Martha and Becca. They have been the most helpful people during this course. I have met some of the most amazing people during my time here. I am leaving, not only with a TEFL certificate, but with new friendships that I know will last a lifetime! This certificate has opened so many doors for me. I cannot begin to say how much I recommend this course to everyone who loves a challening and rewarding experience.

Emily

Great Program- TEFL Course in Prague

I loved taking this course! I met a lot of great people, made life long friends, and learned so much about myself. I was very nervous to come and teach people but now that the course is finished I am sad it is over. The students are very nice and I feel confident in my abilities to teach English effectively. I would recommend this course to anyone who wants to travel and have amazing experiences. The instructors were wonderful and made us all feel like we could accomplish anything. Coming to this course was the best decision I have ever made and the entire experience was incredibly rewarding.

Kay

Czech out this course!

I have enjoyed my time at Hello Academies, the course was well done. The course instructor was great at explaining how to teach English as a foreign language. We developed our techniques overtime with observed teaching lessons which prepared us to teach in a classroom after certification.

They were very helpful with any issues that we had throughout the course - they have helped build up my confidence little by little which I appreciate so much.

It is an intense course so be prepared to work hard! Thank you very much for your help.

Nothing, it was great
Dania

A great month!

I really enjoyed my experience with Smaller Earth for the month! I love Martha and Becca! They were very supportive and knowledgeable. I learned a lot and it was a very worth while experience. Prague is also a very beautiful and interesting city. There is so much to do and see. The accommodations we great and I really enjoyed my stay. The students were also very friendly and made teaching fun. Thanks to Smaller Earth for opening the new and awesome world of teaching to me. (:

Nope, it was great!
Alexandra

30 days of TEFL

The TEFL course I took in July 2017 was easily the greatest, most exciting and intensive experience in my life! Not only do I now have a certificate in teaching recognized worldwide, I also have a new family with which my best memories have been made! I would recommend this program to anyone, whether interested in teaching or not, the experience and the transferable skills you gain through this course are amazing!

I wouldn't change a thing about this course, I loved every second from start to finish... Even the stressful parts!
Dawson

TEFL in Prague

Having just spent the last month in Prague taking the TEFL course, I can say that it the most fun experience I have had in a month's time. The course is very intensive, but the people you met, the experience you get teaching, and the atmosphere of Prague are worth every bit of it.
The instructor is extremely knowledgable and the staff is extremely friendly. It is something I definitely recommend to others.

More survival Czech lessons in the beginning to help with the month's stay
Katrina

Amazing Learning Experience

The TEFL program in Prague was absolutely amazing. It was a highly intensive, well-planned, hands-on learning experience. Martha is a highly-educated instructor who also knows how to make learning fun. There is no one else I would rather have instruct the four-week long course. Teaching not only comes naturally to her, but she loves it and it shows! When I first started, I had absolutely no idea what I was doing or even talking about to students, but by the end of the course I felt comfortable in front of a class and well-versed in the English language. I highly recommend this course because of her.

The month program was not only amazing because of what I mentioned above. First off, you stay in an apartment with other students in Praha 10, which I personally think is a great area. There were only three students so each of us had our own rooms. The apartment was clean and seemed newly renovated. Secondly, it's hard to just up and move to a new country with no friends, but Becca is great at helping new students out with that. There are plenty of opportunities to meet alumni! Becca also does a great job creating fun events and even takes the students out on a day trip. Because of all of these events, I feel I met a lot of cool people and made some awesome friends. Becca also goes out of her way to help with whatever problems you might be having (finding houses, broken computers, etc.).

Overall, I think anyone who doesn't mind a bit of work and is looking for an amazing new experience in a different country can and should do this course. You won't regret it.

It was not communicated how difficult and confusing getting the visa would be for non-EU members. Most of the staff and participants had passports belonging to the EU so they didn't have to take the extra measurements and pay the extra costs of applying for the visa. It would also be useful if they updated what they project cost of living to be on their website and in their interview. The housing market in Prague has apparently changed drastically in the past couple of years. When I budgeted, I planned for housing to be a lot cheaper and easier to find than what it is! Otherwise, the program itself is amazing and I recommend doing it!
Harry

Great

Smaller Earth has given me the experience of a life time. Through this programme I have gained life long friends, great memories, and an open door to the rest of the world. All in all I had a great experience through this TEFL programme and am very happy with my decision in choosing them. Martha (our main instructor for my course) was very knowledgable, patient, and helpful in making myself and my other classmates comfortable with the prospect of being in front of a classroom. If you're thinking about doing this course be like Nike and Just Do IT!

No, I don't recommend this program
Aine

Worth every penny

To anyone that may be having hesitations, that may not think this is something they would like or this is perhaps too far out of their comfort zone.

Go for it!

As someone who applied, put down their deposit, paid in full and booked their flights; I had never truly expected myself to go. I had never been in a foreign country by myself before and was terrified at the prospects.

However from the moment I arrived in the Hello house I felt at home. Everyone was so welcoming and excited and soon enough their excitement became my excitement.

Do not be fooled in thinking this course is a walk in the park, it's not. BUT! You will receive all the help you need and will be surrounded by people who are in the same boat as you.

All I can say is;

1. Work hard, complete assignments the day their assigned.

2. Ask questions. Martha (your instructor) will be more than happy to answer them and just wants you to get the most out of each lesson.

3. Enjoy every moment. Hello Academies set up some great events during the month you're with them and the pub night is not to be missed.

My time with Hello Academies is something I will always remember and cherish. It was so great that I ended up staying in Prague for another 3 months and I've already booked my tickets to go back!

About Smaller Earth

Ready to work abroad? If the thrill of earning a paycheck and traveling at the same time is enticing to you, then welcome to Smaller Earth.

Smaller Earth has been sending individuals on work and travel programs since 1999. What started out as a one...