Award Winning TEFL Certification & Teach in Prague - Join our Vibrant Community

Interested in Teaching Abroad in Prague?

Check out our website to watch our fun and informative Life in Prague videos make by graduates of our TEFL program. These videos cover topics like riding the public transportation system to interesting places to hike near the city.

The Language House TEFL comes highly recommended by graduates of their program and is the largest and most popular TEFL course in Prague. What separates The Language House TEFL from the majority of other 4-week TEFL/CELTA/Trinity courses worldwide is their focus on extra teaching practice and their stellar post graduate community and services in Prague and abroad. The Language House TEFL is not just a teacher training course, but a vibrant community of staff and graduates of the course that help and support each other. It is this extra facet that makes The Language House TEFL so special.

This TEFL community is not limited to Prague, but spans worldwide. It is said that wherever you are in the world, there's probably a helpful Language House TEFL graduate close by. The course is challenging, fun and rewarding. In four weeks, they will turn you into a confident teacher and help you find a teaching job anywhere in the world!

• The most popular certification course in Prague
  • 50% more hands-on teaching practice than most courses worldwide
  • Vibrant Language House TEFL graduate community
  • Free online grammar video course - Extremely helpful for new teachers
  • Lifetime job assistance with contacts worldwide

Hello! Yes, it is possible :) While it maybe slightly more difficult to find a job, there are definitely opportunities for you! The Language House is great about connecting their students with jobs around Prague.
I have been able to live comfortably and travel with my income.
Unfortunately, TEFL certification is not particularly useful in the States. Most schools and companies here don't seem to understand what it is. ESL companies here tend to look for DELTA certification or a teaching license with ESL credential for their teaching staff. However, skills that you acquire during this program (and teaching abroad) are very helpful in persuing teaching at home.
found it very easy to get a job in Prague after the TEFL at the Language House. I had three interviews the first week after the course and I got all three jobs. Most of my friends had a similar experience. Prague has so many language schools and they are usually hiring. This was in mid April. An even better time to look for jobs is in late August/early September, or in January when the terms start...

• Benefits 9.4
  • Facilities 9.2
  • Instruction 9.6
  • Academic Rigor 8.1
  • Job Assistance 9.3
Alevtina

TLH is for life!

I completed my training at The Language House in September 2018 and I can't thank the school enough for the knowledge and experience they've shared with me.

The thing that I've appreciated the most is how serious the school is about their alums and professionalism. Being a non-native speaker (I am Russian), I was half expecting discrimination and a difficult journey on my path, what with being surrounded by native speakers, complicated visa process, and political tension. Guess what, it doesn't matter where you come from, as long as you prove your level of English, you pay attention during classes, and you implement given knowledge - you'll be just fine! The school has such a great reputation that your origin doesn't matter - as long as you have the TLH TEFL certificate, the employees know - you're a well-trained professional.

From day 1 not a minute has been waisted: even if you're listening to a class, you're involved in it, practicing every point of the lecture. Not only do the staff give you useful knowledge, tips and offer their advice, they also give you a very detailed feedback on everything you do, be that homework assignments, lesson-planning assistance, or your proper lesson feedback. That is not everything, though! Starting from the orientation activities, you are introduced to a bunch of new people that in the matter of days become your closest friends, colleagues and support system. You don't have to struggle alone because they are in the same boat!

I strongly recommend The Language House TEFL. Great stuff, wonderful experience, appreciative students, and magical Prague. (and beer, lots of beer.)

I would probably recommend improving the wifi connection (and I've been told it's already in progress) and probably have instructions on how to use the printer directly with a flash drive.
Shaun

The Language House Kicks Zadek

I came to Prague without any solid idea about how I planned to earn a living. White collar Ponzi Schemes or Bank robbery seemed like the best options until I came across The Language House... which just seemed like less of a hassle. In the end, I signed up and I'm glad I did because if I hadn't, I'd probably be in prison and wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet all of the great instructors and, even moreso, my fellow students... many of whom are still here with me in Prague!

The course was hard - for me, really hard - but totally worth it, and the instructors make it fun and give great pointers on what life may involve after you graduate. In addition to that, their knowledge extends beyond just classroom or job stuff because they've all lived here long enough to know about things like the little cultural quirks and where to find that stuff from home that you just, like, really need...

Shout out to Andrea for being cool, funny, and a great instructor and to Foxwell for being a tough teacher, but a really good one.

Whatever they taught me must've worked because I got a full-time job the weekend after I graduated... and thankfully never had to pursue a life of crime.

Can't think of anything.
Josh

The Best introduction to Prague for aspiring expats

I took the language House program back in 2012, and i’m Glad to see the program continuing to be successful in Prague. The Language House will prepare you for all the challenges of living overseas, while giving you the job skills and introducing you to awesome new friends. I can’t highly recommend The Language House enough. The Staff at TLH are very knowledgeable and patient, and they’ll do everything they can to set you up for an awesome experience living in the Golden City.

Michael

Transformative

I left college not knowing who I wanted to be, or what I wanted to do. I took the course on a whim; I still carry the teachings today, 7 years on. Chris and his staff is extremely helpful; they provide ongoing cultural and professional insight, long after the course is over. His only requirement; be eager to learn, and motivated to succeed. TLH will help with the rest. He has made his company a family, and an integral part of the English speaking community. I unreservedly recommend the Language House.

Katie

Fun and social program

I had such a good time doing the TEFL program through The Language House, and I cannot recommend it enough. I was a bit nervous beforehand because a lot of reviews said the month was really intense and hard, but I found it to be really fun and enjoyable. You're definitely very busy throughout the month, but nothing is too difficult or overwhelming. I graduated knowing so much about teaching and feeling confident to jump into a job. The staff at TLH is great, and they stress to you over and over that they're there for anything you need even after course is over. I believe they actually mean that too. I would have no problem contacting anyone from the staff for any problem I might encounter while in Prague. The best part about the course, however, is definitely the friends you make. While not all of us stayed in Prague, all of those who did are so close and still hang out on a regular basis. Move to Prague and take a course through TLH; I promise you won't regret it!!

Sara

The Language House Is Pretty Good

I found TLH on Google during extensive TEFL research. I decided on them because of their price, teaching time, school location, and the availability to get certified for children and adults. They did a great job of introducing us to the city with tours, pub crawls, weekend trips and an orientation weekend. All were much needed/wanted for my trip. They also offer visa help which for many people is invaluable. TLH has a large online community where alums can trade job openings, get togethers, and apartment rentals. They offer private and shared apartments and organize the check in. For me that was bumpy. The airport lost my luggage but the owner of TLH helped me sort it out and luckily I got my bag within 4 days. The apartment/flat I was in was okay. Not amazing and not super terrible either. Half the lights were blown when I got there. We said something and most of them were fixed. There is no air conditioning in the flat (pretty standard in Prague) but there was only one fan. 1 fan for three girls in three different rooms to share. I was okay at night because I am always cold and most Czechs just create cross breezes with the windows, but my roommates got pretty warm and during the day the flat was like 85 degrees. Most of the time we were at school (which was JUST AS HOT) anyway. The bathroom was so bad though. So. So. Nasty. It's the standard in Prague to have the washer in the bathroom. Virtually no one has dryers, you hang your stuff on a drying rack in the bedroom. That's not what the problem was, because immersion is cool. But the washer drained into the tub. So every time we took a shower you had to clean the tub because it would have dirt and lint residue. A lot of it. It was bad. And the threadbare shower curtain had to be 10 years old with just as much mold and dirt stained on it. Equally as terrible. Now, you might be saying, "What's the big deal? It's just your feet touching the bottom of the tub. Why did you have to wash it every time?" Because my friend our apparent was a traditional Eastern European sitting shower. Very common in CR. You have a handheld sprayer and you sit in the tub to wash yourself. You get wet - turn the water off- bathe yourself/hair - then turn the water back on to rinse off. Some of the other apartments that my classmates where in did have stand up showers, BUT they didn't have washers and had to go to a laundry mat. So really I think having the washer and old tub was better.) So you are sitting in dirty water from yourself and the laundry. Now, I didn't know it at the time but our tub drain was clogged, so it made the drainage much much worse. All 5 of us who passed through that apartment thought, "This is what its supposed to do. Like a shower bath as a kid kinda." So you sat in 4 inches of water or whatever. It wasn't until the last week of class that we realized it was clogged. But as soon as we brought it to TLH attention it was fixed that afternoon! So it only took about 12 hours after we told them that we had a proper working/draining shower. You live and you learn. I just wish we would have asked about it sooner. The location of the apartments is wonderful! Great views and food nearby as well as plenty of grocers and short walk to the tram stop. The instructors were friendly and helpful most of the time and the school house was in an amazing location. If my husband ever gets TEFL certified I will enroll him here.

The program during my time was way over crowded. Classrooms were packed, when we went out as a class there were so many people packed in a small reserved room that we had no space to eat and couldn't hear the person next to you talk, and each night lesson and class review lasted hours and hours for many teams because there where teams of 4 instead of 3. I would recommended each month the max amount of students be limited to 22. We had around 28/30 or so and it was a nightmare at times. Also, apartments need to be inspected before new students move in to insure all lights work, the water/sink/shower work properly and that everything is in tip top shape.
Stephanie

Preparation for success

I participated in The Language House TEFL program in May 2016. Two years later, I am still amazed and grateful for everything I learned during the course and all of the support provided throughout my time in Prague. The staff genuinely care about your wellbeing and success and continue to be supportive long after you finish the course. I’ve now officially started my own English tutoring business here in Prague because of the foundation, knowledge, and support that The Language House provided me.

I was completely satisfied with the course, but more lesson planning involving individual students would be nice, since that’s what I ended up teaching the most.
Erin

Super helpful

The assistance provided by the staff of The Language House is unparalleled. Moving abroad can be intimidating, but they make it so easy and stress-free. The school also has a ton of resources - physical materials and also connections around the world!

Finding jobs is easy because of the connections they have and the ever growing community of alums.

The community is a excellent resource for teaching, finding jobs, and whatever you need. It’s been really great having aich a large group of people that I know I can trust and look to for help.

The Language House also offers services to help with visas and finding a place to live!

The course is intense but in a good way! You get actual teaching experience during the course and learn way more than you could in an online course. There are staff members constantly around to help you with grammar and lesson planning.

Overall The Language House is a great program and community!

Megan

Amazing Experience!

The program was difficult, but I had adequate support available to me the whole time from teachers, fellow students, and alumni. The program was comprehensive and absolutely prepared me for a successful teaching career. Not only was I prepared with the practical and course material, but the job assistance helped me start working immediately! I would recommend the Language House to anyone looking for a positive experience to obtain their TEFL certification. They also offer an additional Young Learners Certification for those looking to teach children which I have found invaluable.

No improvements necessary at this time.
Jody

Study to become English teacher in Prague!

I attended the Language House March of 2018. To say I was nervous, is an understatement. But as soon as I meet people (staff and students) I couldn’t have felt more at home. Everyone at the TLH is there to help and guide you during your experience here in Prague. They do everything from helping you get a Visa, find jobs, and take you on hikes around the Czech Republic. The course is very intense, but it is 100% worth it because you come out of the course having much more teaching experience than any other TEFL program around. I felt very confident leaving TLH knowing I would be ready to teach English to anyone. The days are long, but the staff is so friendly and funny, they make the days worth while and enjoyable. Even after the course is over, the staff is still there to help if you have any questions and concerns. TLH has a great alumni family which is always a great way to find jobs, social groups, and create great experiences. The alumni family is not only in Prague, but all over the world. So if you wish to teach English elsewhere after the program, they will provide you with connections to do so. I can’t say anything negative about the course. I have zero regrets. I highly recommend this course to anyone looking for a TEFL program.

Brinlie

This course

I enjoyed this course. I met s lot of really cool people who were doing the same things in life as me, teaching and traveling. We didn’t have that much time to explore the city because of the work we had to do. But I liked the housing they arranged and the schedule wasn’t bad. I had s few negative interactions with the staff where I felt they didn’t really care about me. And towards the end of the three weeks a few of the clssses seems pointless. I definitely learned all the grammar from this course and I got really good classroom teaching experience. I’m not sure if I would do this course again as I felt it was overpriced and they wanted to charge you for a lot of extra things. But there is a good support group out there of expats in Prague and I did have fun while I was there. So not the best decision of my life but certainly not the worst.

I would just say it would be improved if they didn’t keep telling you how hard it’s going to be and stressing you out. Additionally it should be less expensive.
No, I don't recommend this program
Bridgette

Best TEFL community around the globe

At The Language House you will get a very thorough, high quality teaching education. The course is intensive, and rather difficult, because the tutors prepare you for teaching at varying levels, and help you create organic lesson plans. The practicums are an essential part of this; the opportunity to teach small groups of students each day, and to receive individualized feedback is incredibly helpful. I remain very satisfied with the level of education that TLH provided. In my experience, they provide a more comprehensive education that other language houses, which makes the transition to the job market much easier.

Where TLH absolutely blew me away was with community support. The network you become part of as a TLH alum is an amazing resource, for teachers working in or outside of Prague. TLH alum can give guidance and aid in getting a job anywhere in the world.

In Prague, the TLH staff are incredible, and the lengths TLH owner Chris Westergaard goes to are amazing. For example, during my time in Prague (2015-2016) people were finding it difficult to get apartments once the course ended. Chris realized this was becoming a problem, and created a network within TLH to help new teachers find accommodation more easily. Since then, he's also communicated with several of the large language schools in Prague regarding raising their base teaching wage, because he feels it has not increased enough in recent years. These are both things well beyond his purview as a TELF teaching school owner, but Chris cares about the community and does what he can to support his alum. The social network is also great, with alum hosting day trips around CZ, meeting for beers once per month, etc. The expat community in Prague is pretty great generally, but the TLH community is amazing, and Chris Westergaard will have your back long after you finish the course.

TL;DR: If you want to teach ESL abroad, study at The Language House. You won't regret it.

Victoria

Recommended program

Definitely well worth the time and money. Based in a fantastic city, this program offered not only teaching instruction but help with visas, apartment searches, and applying for jobs. I didn’t stay in Prague after but many of my classmates did and they got all the help they needed transitioning into their life there. They were very helpful for me while I applied for the EPIK program in Korea and I’m currently here teaching! It was a great experience and I worked hard but it was worth it.

Alejandra

TLH Prague Giru

The Language House was definitely the best decision/move I have ever made. It made me find out who I really am, and how strong I can be by pushing myself to do things I wouldn’t normally do. It’s a great program to start if you don’t really know what you’re doing in life after college and I honestly believe that it prepares you for real world situations. I had a lot of good memories but the best one was probably seeing everyone perform in front of the class for the first time to get a grasp of how everyone’s personality was like and I feel like that brought us together in a strange way. I would highly recommend anyone of all ages past 21 to come to Prague and experience the TLH. Especially if you can afford all the extra expenses they don’t tell you about. ;) I recently recommended this program to one of my best friends and she will be joining me in Prague in October and I couldn’t be happier!

First of all, I completely understand it’s business oriented but they should be a bit more straight forward with how much money we will have to pay overall. For example, the visa process is spicy expensive and its honestly stressing me out. Also, I didn’t know until two weeks before I had to leave the states that we needed at least $6,000 in our bank accounts to be able to do the TLH program. So I sadly had to borrow some money from my parents and that’s just not cool. Another thing I think that can be improved is how the teachers act outside of the classroom even if they’re in the same building. I get it, you do the same thing every month with different students for many years. But, during class time they seem inviting, funny and nice but outside the classroom they can just be rude and uninvolved. Which to me was a shock since we all just moved a long distance to feel at home again and that feeling wasn’t always there. But like I said, it helps you grow and see how real world situations can be like.
Michael

TEFL in Prague with The Language House

Prague is worth a visit, so why not come here and get your TEFL certificate while you're here?

I must say, when I first came to Prague, I was a little nervous. I didn't know anything about the culture, I didn't know any other city in the Czech Republic besides Prague, I didn't know Czech (I still don't but I know a lot more than when I first arrived), so you can imagine how terrifying it must have been to move to a country when you don't know much about it.

However, the community of The Language House (TLH) alums is quite large, and I've met a lot of awesome expats from taking the course, as well as different events TLH puts on for the alums.

The course work is hard work, but it's totally worth it. You get some nice quality experience teaching in a classroom setting in 3 different levels of English. A1 and A2 are for beginners, B1 and B2 are for intermediate, and finally C1 is for advanced. You'll be put into one of these for the first week, teach 3 lessons to a class of maybe 5-10 students, and then the next week move on to a different level, and repeat the process over, and finally one more week of the same (a total of 3 weeks of teaching, each week with a new level). Additionally, you'll be required to find a one-on-one student to have 2 private lessons. This is awesome because you really get the full experience of teaching in both a classroom setting and with private lessons.

Most students are 20-somethings, fresh out of university, but don't let your age stop you from coming to TLH and getting your TEFL certification. I know several people who went through TLH who are older, so really age doesn't matter here, people of all ages, religions, sexual orientations, and whatever are welcome without any bigotry or bias. You'll find the community to be very supportive when you have questions relating to anything and everything. TLH will help you find housing (ultimately it's your responsibility, but they'll point you in the right direction if you're having trouble finding it on your own), find a job, get a visa, and stay legal to work in the Czech Republic.

Health care in the Czech Republic is great, the culture and food are amazing, really you'll have a blast coming here. Additionally, the Czech Republic is located in Central Europe, so anywhere you want to go in Europe will be relatively cheap. I've made affordable trips to Italy, Germany, UK, Hungary, Holland, Poland, Austria, and many more places since I've moved here, and I plan on going to many more places before I leave (whenever that will be).

Although the course is great, I've talked to many alums, and we all agree that the staff can be more friendly. There were some people in the school that can be particularly hard on people for no apparent reason. It's almost unanimous amongst the alums I've talked to, and we all feel the same.

About The Language House TEFL

The Language House TEFL comes highly recommended by graduates of their program. What separates The Language House TEFL from the majority of other 4-week TEFL/CELTA/Trinity courses worldwide is their focus on extra teaching practice and their stellar...