This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Greenheart Travel.
Teach in the Republic of Georgia

Teach in the Republic of Georgia

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Greenheart Travel.

Teaching English in the Republic of Georgia is a unique opportunity that allows native-English speakers to work as volunteer English-language teaching assistants in a Georgian public school for six months to one year.

About the Republic of Georgia

The Republic of Georgia offers something for everyone. For cultural enthusiasts, metropolitan life provides a plethora of theater, live music and cinema, and history buffs will have ample opportunity to explore historical sites dating from the Byzantine Empire to Soviet rule. Georgian churches and monasteries are a distinctive feature along the skyline, providing tranquil settings to explore during your stay. Georgia is also an outdoorsman’s paradise. The Caucasus Mountains are situated along the northern border attracting trekkers and climbers, and providing a playground for anyone interested in horseback riding, rafting, or bird-watching.

What if I don't speak Georgian? Georgian language skills are not required (We certainly don’t expect that many people speak Georgian!). Basic Georgian language skills are taught during orientation. Teacher Responsibilities Volunteer teachers work 4-6 hours a day in a Georgian public school and are placed with a Georgian teacher as an English-language teaching assistant. The schools are equipped with all of the materials teachers need to perform their duties. Most schools are equipped with computers and internet access.
Asia » Georgia, Republic of
Salary / Benefits
A free flight to Georgia, an additional flight and three weeks vacation during Christmas (for 12-month contracts), full room and board, medical insurance within Georgia, orientation and training in Tbilisi with other volunteers upon arrival, and a $500 Lari (approximately USD$300) monthly stipend.
Tbilisi, Rural Areas

• Benefits
  • Facilities

Brandon
Olympia, Washington
Evergreen State College

I love Georgia

But time I ever had abroad. I was total brought into my family and community. The people are amazing and offer a whole new world to living and working in Georgia.

Lots of things but its as good as it can get for what it is.

Gogo1990
Duluth, MN
College of Saint Benedict

Madloba, Saqartvelo

I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in Georgia. I made lifelong friends and now have a second family in Georgia. The only complaints I have were the lack of teaching materials (I understand this is most likely a financial issue) and the perceived lack of awareness on TLG's behalf of the volunteers' difficulties accessing certain necessities (topping up a phone, cellular service and public transportation). Other than that, I thought the experience was invaluable and I would recommend it to anyone.

Crystle-Day
Hayward, California

Most Hospitable Country

I sought more adventure in my life and wanted to also find a way to give back to others. I joined Green Heart Travel and embarked on a journey to the great unknown. Though Georgia may be a small country, the country had so much to offer. From the stunning
Caucasus mountains, to the lush forest mineral water springs in Borjomi, to the authentic breathtaking former cave communities of Vardzia, to the bright lights of the beach side of Batumi and the city
life of Tbilisi; As a travel destination, it is a hidden Gem of diversity. Georgia is literally known around the world for the people's heartwarming hospitality. Living in a village with a host family was a challenge that gratifyingly humbled me. Coming from California, U.S.A, I am so accustomed to focusing on what I DON'T have in life. My year in Georgia opened my eyes and taught me to focus on what I DO have in life. Teaching in a village school also has it's
challenges due to lack of supplies we may normally be accustomed to in the western world. Yet, it's the amazing children that makes it all worth while. You will never work with children as loving as the local
children of Georgia. Children who constantly want to learn just because you're here. Children who constantly volunteer to do board work, even if they have no idea what they are doing, just for the
chance to interact with you one on one. Children who are simply motivated to learn English just to be able to greet you in the morning and say farewell to you by the end of the day. If you're looking for a challenge and a program unlike any other, I highly recommend this program. It's an experience you will never forget.

P.S: An awesome bonus is the AMAZING fellow foreign teachers from all over the world you meet in the program who becomes part of your Georgian family

Most of the things I would change isn't something the program can control. The lifestyle and culture is very different in Georgia. The things I had problems with were more on how the country interacts at times with foreigners. As long as you stay on guard and be smart about being in a foreign country, you'll have no problems.

justiko
Grand Rapids, MI
Letterkenny Institute of Technology

Beautiful land, beautiful people.

I signed up for one semester in Georgia and ended up staying for three. I didn't know too much about the country before finding the TLG program, but spent a few months researching all about it before going.
Many people who consider applying have misconceptions about Georgia. While it is a developing country it is far from living in a mud hut. You will likely have somewhat comfortable accommodations with a family. Day to day life can be somewhat slow moving with school, going home and giving family lessons, but the weekends are usually filled with celebrations or traveling to other parts of the country. It's a beautiful country but the Georgian people are the best part of the experience. They will welcome you like a friend and find a place in your heart quick.
Yes the food can be a bit repetitive or lacking in certain spices or food groups, you will see things that might bother you like traditional gender roles, litter all over a beautiful field, or mistreatment of animals. But overall, it was a great experience and I just hope people who go there have an open mind and go knowing we can learn as much from Georgians as they can from us. Gaumarjos! (cheers)

I would make better use of TLG teachers, have them teach more grades, don't let them come in the summer if there is no need for teachers.

Brian
Bolnisi, Republic of Georgia
University of Washington

Experience of a Lifetime

This was a great experience to truly live outside ones comfort zone. Georgia is a great country full of rich history and beautiful landscapes. The Georgian people are friendly and kind in every way possible. The teachers, students, host family, and neighbors are all very welcoming to new people. They will invite you into their community and encourage you to learn their customs, eat their food, drink their wine, and learn their language.

The Greenheart Travel team did an excellent job in preparing me for this teaching experience. The paperwork was simple and there were no complications with anything. The staff was friendly and answered every single one of my questions to the fullest. They did an excellent job in describing the schools, the customs, the people, and the history of the country.

alexid
Pennsylvania

Caucasian Isolation

Good things: plenty of turtles, nice hiking trails left by cows and sheep, if you are a man you will be invited to drink wine or cha cha at any time of the day (that is if you like to drink)

Some bad things: experiencing the Georgian family life means enduring screaming children who enjoy picking on their host (small children like to punch in the genital area, large children like to put things in my bed, such as saliva-covered candy) while waiting for things that never happen, Georgian teachers don't understand co-teaching even if you speak to them in Georgian, listening as parents scream at each other

Ettie
Kutaisi, Georgia
Holy Family University

Teaching in Georgia: a good introduction to teaching English abroad

First, Greenheart Travel is a great organization. I've always received replies to my emails within a day, or even a few hours. The staff is universally helpful and friendly.

Teaching in Georgia is a good introduction to the TESOL field because Georgia is a low-pressure environment for teaching. You're placed in classrooms with Georgian co-teachers, and depending on your comfort level, you can contribute as much (or as little) as you would like.

Classroom conditions are less than ideal, but they're tolerable, and they seem to improve with each passing year. The hardest part of teaching for me is classroom management because Georgian children are incredibly rowdy, and many of my classes have over 30 students. That being said, your Georgian co-teacher will usually be strict enough to scare the students into submission.

In terms of living conditions, your salary is more than enough to cover your living expenses. I'm usually able to save around half of my income each month. However, if you have substantial student loans to pay, you might struggle to cover those with your Georgian salary.

In summary, if you're planning on teaching English abroad for more than one year, Georgia is a good place to start. You can practice teaching, without any pressure to excel from the get-go. As long as you behave respectfully, and put in some effort, you'll be fine.

Smoothoperator
Los Angeles, California

Georgian Gallivantings

This is a pretty capable program in my estimation. The staff is pretty on-the-ball with the support and everything is put on front street with them. There's not even a semblance of underhandedness. They're pretty forthcoming with all the intricacies and less-than-palatable portions of volunteering. And for that, they're a neck above other programs.

Highlights would have to be the community you're working in. I've been placed in a fairly small village and everyone is congenial and cordial to one another. The students are genuinely interested in learning English which makes my job a pleasant stroll in the park.

Another highlight would be my host family. Maybe I just rolled the dice and came up with sevens in regards to my placement but they've been a dream. There's always a party or event to attend. They're also in the habit of whisking me off to cultural locales and such to take in the sights. I couldn't ask for better accommodations.

I suppose the facilities and the materials could be perceived as a minor setback. You're not drowning in resources here in Georgia unfortunately. I mostly just have chalk and a board at my disposal. But with a little creativity and tenacity, you should do just fine.

All in all, I highly recommend this program.

jropiequet86
Chicago, Illinois

A piece of Georgia

The food in Georgia is not really the best, although the wine is great.
The people are very friendly, but at the same time very nosy.
There is very little to do as far as night life outside the two major cities. But the country offers great natural landscapes.
The weather is a bit extreme; namely, cold and snowy in the winter and very hot in the summer.
The pay is more than sufficient.

sweetgirl3313
Madison, WI
University of Almería

Teaching Challenges and Cultural Excitement

I went to Georgia to figure out if teaching was what I really wanted to do and to finally experience life abroad. The program met my expectations, but like anything it's not perfect.

First, going through Greenheart was a good choice. They had access to a lot of resources from the members already in Georgia and could get a speedier response from TLG (Teach and Learn in Georgia) than an individual can, trust me. The most useful pre-trip event was a conference phone call with the Greenheart representative and everyone else going to Georgia at the same time.

Georgia is itself one of the most beautiful and welcoming countries you'll ever go to. You'll hear this over and over again from anyone who's been there and Georgians themselves. It isn't false praise by any means. You'll be invited to a number of Supras or feasts, a cultural highlight. There are plenty of historical and natural tourist spots to see. TLG even provides the opportunity to travel with other visiting teachers from your regions to some of these areas. I went to the Sataplia caves with many new teachers who had just gotten to the region towards the end of my contract. We exchanged teaching ideas, vented about classroom struggles, and reminded each other about all the things we missed from Western culture and life.

I taught in the port city of Poti. My school was pretty well off material wise. Everyone had desks, there was a computer lab and projector that were used semi-frequently, and my director was willing to work with me not against me. My co-teachers had very limited English skills. This was probably the biggest challenge. Co-teachers were supposed to be the bridge between TLG teachers and the Georgian school system. Most of the them can only carry on basic conversations. One of mine would even correct me on pronunciation of English words, like mountain, she just had been saying wrong for forty years. You have to be willing to be very patient when doing lesson plans or working with co-teachers.

Patience will also be needed when communicating with TLG. Getting plane tickets home took months of communication and they were still late when I left at the end of my contract. TLG is working very hard to coordinate with a growing number of native English speakers working in the country. It's not an easy job. They just still seem to be grappling with Westerners desire to have plans made quickly and efficiently.

If you are looking for a program that will challenge you and your willing to make sacrifices in your standard of living, this is a great choice. You need to be creative not necessarily the best teacher. You need to be willing to learn a new language (unless, you already know Russian or Georgian). You need to be willing to let go and enjoy life and friends and family.

I would go back in a heartbeat!

emilyingeorgia
Annapolis, Maryland
University of the Arts London

Equal Parts Teaching and Learning

The program that Greenheart recruited me for was aptly named "Teach and Learn With Georgia." I taught English to Georgian children, and learned some Georgian myself. I taught Georgians about American culture and ways of life, and learned all about Georgia and its people. I also learned a great deal about myself and that I can do whatever I set my mind to, no matter how daunting it may be at first. Greenheart made this experience possible for me, and for that I am incredibly grateful. The application process was painless and they answered all of my questions quickly and thoroughly. I would undoubtedly recommend to them to a friend.

Abby
Austin, TX

I've never been so sick in my life, but I wouldn't change it for the world

Let me just start by saying this: you will get sick. Georgia (especially the capital) is a VERY dirty place. Everyone got sick. Whether you had something mild like constipation or IBS, or something more severe like contracting an STD (I know three people who did. One of whom was sent home), you can count on getting some form of illness while you are there. However, though I had the worst flu of my life, slept in a room without heat for 6 months, and had to go to the hosptial becuase of a terrible bladder infection, I wouldn't change one thing about my experience. Georgia changed my life. The people I met there changed my life. The culture and hardships you will face will rock you to your core and with every moment that you spend there you will never be able to understand or even come close the fathoming how much you are growing and learning. So, if given the choice I would reluctantly do it all over again because I am a better, more compassionate, intelligent, patient, and stronger person because of that country. However, my ambivalence only stretches so far and I still can not bring myself to recommend Georgia to any of my friends, but for someone who needs a life change and is searching for themselves like I was, then yes. Go. You will return with a very strong understanding of what kind of man or woman you are.

Giorgi
USA
Baylor College of Medicine

Plenty of hospitality, food and wine

As an experienced teacher, teaching in Georgian schools can be frustrating but working with Georgian children is extremely rewarding. Be prepared for lack of classroom management, teaching methodology and Soviet era teaching attitudes. Despite this the children are energetic, enthusiastic and will be happy to see you.

Overall, the experience has been enjoyable and has provided the opportunity to see and be a part of things that you would never see anywhere else. If you come in the winter be ready for cold and mud-bring lots of layers!

jkathryn
michigan
University of the Pacific

My adventure in the Republic of Georgia

My experience in Georgia was terrific, due mainly to my Host Family and school placement. I was in the village of Dighomi, just outside of Tbilisi. The school is the 2nd largest, in Georgia, with 900 students. I had 400 students in 14 classes and I conducted each class, on my own, with some translation assistance from my Georgian co-teachers. My host family consisted of 2 sons in their 20's, parents and one grandmother. All members of my family were university educated. They cared for me as a member of their family; giving me the true Georgian guest treatment--wonderful food, inclusive visits with their relatives and friends, assistance with my transportation and needs--they are some of the most interesting, kind and strong people that I've ever met. I remain in contact with my Georgian school teachers and my family, even now.
For someone going on the program, I'd recommend overpacking as you do not know where you'll be placed--this is the biggest drawback of the program. You'll want to be prepared for respiratory and stomach illnesses so it is best to bring anything that you may need to feel better. Although I didn't get any stomach illness, I had a couple of respiratory infections (as did everyone I encountered, from the program.)

Khachapuri
USA
Pennsylvania State University

Patience and Flexibility Needed

Teaching is Georgia takes a lot of patience. There are little to no teaching resources (ie copy machine, printer, paper, chalk...), teachers have not been trained in classroom management and students are often out of control. However, kids are kids and Georgian children will love you and will teach you as much as you teach them.

Georgia is an incredibly friendly country-I am always being given gifts, food, wine and warm wishes from total strangers on the street.

Pauli
Poti, Samegrelo Republic of Georgia

As good an experiance as you make it

I have loved my time in Georgia though it is coming to a close soon. I have been here 7 months and have found that your experiance here is only what you make of it. Signing up for this program is a little like a game of roulette. I asked for a village and was placed in a tiny city while friends who asked for cities were placed in villages. The program does provide new host families if you are not happy where you are placed. But for the most part, I have loved it here. My host family has chickens and cows that sleep in the back yard, and the street isn't paved, but a two minute walk takes me to paved roads and my school. If I walk another 5 min or so, I am at a big church with a great park, and another 3 min takes me to one of the 3 cafes with english menus and free wifi. There are many other volunteers in my city, which is great and normal for a city, but not normal for a village, which is where the majority of people are placed. Fortunatly, there are easily used (once learned) systems of public transportation that can take you to a central town to city to hang out with other native english speakers if the village life is getting too much. They also provide cell phones which have free calls to all the other volunteers, so you are very rarely without people to talk to.
But you have to be more than willing to spend a lot of your time sitting in a room full of people who are speaking another language that is honestly very difficult to learn and that you probably will not be able to converse in in three months, no matter how good your language skills are. You need to be able to self entertain yourself. I have an e-reader, but it made my family feel like I was cutting them out, so I have taken up knitting.
I am very flexible and go with the flow, and that is very much the georgian way. If you like to follow and strict schedule, Georgia might not be for you. Things change at a moments notice and no one thinks to tell the Volunteer, so you might go to school one day to find that they have pushed back the school day by half an hour, or there just is no school today. Learn to laugh at that, and accept it as "Georgian". You are there to teach English and western culture, but you are also there to learn about Georgian culture. The eating, the drinking, the religion, and the relaxedness. I have reccomended it to friends, they have come over, and we are still friends, so yes, I would reccomend this program for anyone who wants to get out and see a completly different way of living.

Lawrence
Khevi Kharagauli, Republic of Georgia

Life in Khevi, Teaching and learning in Georgia

First, let me say that this program provided me with my first opportunity to travel outside the U.S. and for that I am truly grateful. Second, Greenheart's application/interview process was thorough and efficient. Third,the TLG staff here in Georgia are always working for and communicating with their volunteers.
TLG placed me with a great host family. They really listen to you when you have specific issues, mine was smoking, and they found me a non-smoking family. I'm with a couple and their 12 year old son. His mother teaches Georgian and I teach in his English glass. In a happy coincidence he is obsessed with martial arts in which I have an extensive background. Almost every Friday the boys have a San Da (Chinese freestyle sparring) class, which I attend.
The village that I'm in is about 3 hours drive west from Tblisi. Nestled in the Lesser Caucasus' it is absolutely beautiful here, especially now that Spring has arrived. I'm from Southern New Jersey (highest point 232 ft. above sea level) so the terrain here is very different to say the least. I really enjoy hiking in the surrounding mountains, and I'm fitter now than I have been in years.
Teaching here is difficult sometimes, with few resources, cold in the winter, power outages and unruly children but the challenges are truly what make it worth coming here. And I'll be honest I have not come up with many grand solutions to the problems we face here, but every day I try to the best I can.

I'd say more but I have to go to school now.

Jack
Tbilisi, Georgia
Durham University

Georgian hospitality wins the day - again!

TLG offers you a chance to immerse yourself in Georgian society, to experience the ups and downs of this country and to really be a part of the local scene. As a teacher at a local school you will quickly become known in your community and people will be very happy to invite you to cultural events, parties or celebrations. The hospitality of Georgia is immense, from the teachers who give you small gifts, to the random strangers who invite you for khinkali (Meaty ravioli) and Chacha (spirit made from grape residues). The teaching is varied and as challenging as you want it to be, you can stimulate the school with extra lessons, fun after-school activities or even field trips. The salary is more than competitive and the living conditions (vary a great deal) are mostly comfortable and enjoyable. So get involved in this project, I have been here for 8 months and I can't get enough of Georgia. The Greenheart program gave me advice and sound support throughout my time pre-departure and during the program.

Minnesota
Rustavi, Georgia
Victoria University of Wellington

Incredible Culture

What do you look for in a volunteer opportunity? A rewarding challenge? An interesting culture? Welcoming people? I found this in the Republic of Georgia. The local teachers were very professional and welcoming to the co-teacher program and it was very easy to jump in and start teaching.

The host family was very respectful, generous and kind. Tutoring was enjoyable with the host-mom and the host-sister and I was placed with a family that genuinely cared about me. They planned and took me on weekend trips and even to new restaurants in Tbilisi. I was placed near Tbilisi so we had a lot of cultural options including going to movies, concerts, and museums.

Greenheart Travel was also great to work with and they were very transparent. They managed expectations and represented the program in an honest and forthright manner. I would recommend volunteering in Georgia and using Greenheart Travel.

justinerebeca
Mtskheta, Georgia
Letterkenny Institute of Technology

Everyday is an Adventure

I always wanted to live overseas but never got the chance, so when I was job searching I always had the idea of teaching abroad as an option. I researched many programs, but found Greenheart Travel advertising for Teach and Learn with Georgia and decided this would be the program for me. I did as much research as I could, read several blogs that were provided to me by Greenheart staff, and went through the application process, which was fairly easy.
I arrived in Georgia last January and originally lived and worked in the East. When I arrived it was very cold, I was in a village where wood was the only source of heat, and in my room there was no heat at all. There was a week where I wore the exact same thing for 5 days because I couldn't imagine getting undressed and there were times I thought I would never be warm again. But the weather improved and soon Georgia turned into paradise, where the mountains provide the backdrop for mile after mile of vineyards, beautiful gardens, fruit trees, and flowers like you've never seen before.
The easiest thing to fall in love with in Georgia is the Georgian people, who automatically love you for coming to their country and speaking a little bit of their language. You get one week of language and cultural training before being placed in a host family, and then most people continue learning after that. Georgian is difficult for me to learn, but the basic phrases and alphabet are all essential to an easier life here.
By far the most challenging part of Georgia is the school. The Ministry of Education is working on sweeping reforms and we are right in the middle of change in action, which means there are times when the school seems to be stuck in time with teaching methodologies (some teachers still ascribe to "read, memorize, recite" theory. However, there is nothing better than the students who adore you and treat you like a celebrity. You will be greeted each day with enthusiastic "Hello Teacher!" over and over.
There were many challenges, but overall I would wholeheartedly recommend both Greenheart and TLG to interested participants. I would just strongly urge people to do their research before coming, as it's definitely not for everyone. You have to come with an open mind and flexible attitude. If you have those things, you will likely love Georgia and Georgia will love you right back.

Qartveli
Bobokvati, Kobuleti, Ajara, The Republic of Georgia

Sarkartvelo: A True Adventure

I'm currently a teacher in The Republic of Georgia and I love every minute of this experience. I'm actually in school right now, doing this review before class begins. I highly recommend for everyone to experience this beautiful and beautifully challenging country. My journey began with finding a "Teach in Georgia" program link through Greenheart Travel.

I simply followed the steps provided, gave all of my required documentation, had my interviews and was swept away to this very foreign country. I hold a Bachelor's degree and teaching certifications so the process for me was fairly easy, also due in part to Greenheart Travel for streamlining the process for me. You don't need the qualifications I have in order to come to Georgia.

I arrived in Georgia's capital, Tbilisi, for a 7 day orientation with Teach Learn Georgia (TLG), the flagship program that is hiring all of the English teachers. They gave us Teaching Methodology and Georgian language lessons as well as providing some intercultural training. From there I was given my assignment, the beautiful coastal village of Bobokvati near Kobuleti city. Most teachers get placed in rural villages and other in larger cities. This is where the true adventure began.

Since then I have been eating amazing Georgian food, which consists mainly of beef, chicken, bread, cheese, lots of veggies and herbs. Almost everything is grown by the villagers in their gardens and it's extremely fresh. I have also tried the famous Georgian wine, which also is made by most Georgians: Georgia is the birth place of wine after all!!

Teaching here is rewarding and challenging. Since Georgia is still a developing country, your teaching materials such as projectors and the like will be rare or not even seen at all. You have to get creative with your lessons but TLG does provide you with new English lesson books through MacMillan publishers. Bring any kind of teaching material you can, books, pictures, posters and even learn some songs to teach your students, they go crazy for songs. The kids are some of the most eager I've seen and love to have English teachers in their schools.

As far as packing is concerned, pack for everything. I wish I had brought lots of medicine because as with any country, it will take some time for your body to adapt to the local climate and food. I would also recommend bringing laptops and movies and music to occupy some of your time. Traveling in this country is extremely cheap and I have already seen all of the country. I try to travel every weekend with my fellow TLG friends. You get to meet lots of wonderful people and fill up your picture albums for Facebook!

All in all the Georgian people are very welcoming and friendly and it's not unheard of to get invited into strangers homes for some food and wine. Georgian hospitality is bar none the best I've ever experienced. My local community was very welcoming and my co-workers here at my school have been amazing at helping me with everything I need. Greenheart also continues to provide my with all the assistance necessary and I can get help whenever I need it. I have definitely learned a lot while being here, become more open to meeting new people and learned that it's not what the country has to offer you, it's the people in it that make the experience.

You should come to Georgia, have the experience of a lifetime and enjoy everything Georgia and it's people have to offer! You get paid more than most teachers do but it's a modest sum compared to what you are probably used to. Still, it's more than enough to travel the country, eat what you want and enjoy your life in the unique and rewarding place.

Greenheart Travel is excited to provide authentic cultural immersion experiences for teenagers and adults in countries all over the world. Our programs include volunteer opportunities, short and long term teaching contracts and work and internship positions abroad. We also offer TEFL certification, high school study