Tutor English for a Host Family in Spain

girl sitting on ledge overlooking spanish town
girl sitting on ledge overlooking spanish town
Girl smiling under arch in spain
Girl smiling under arch in spain

**Start your program anytime throughout the year**

A beautiful way to experience Spain, living with the comfort and safety of a host family while immersing yourself into local culture!

You’ll be welcomed into the home of a Spanish host family, for whom you will provide English tutoring 15 hours per week. The rest of your time is free to explore, though it is likely that you will spend some extra time getting to know your family. Tutoring can take place through informal activities and conversation but participants are also encouraged to develop a few formal lessons. Placements are mostly around cosmopolitan Madrid!

• Tutoring placement organized before you travel
  • Friendly host families and home cooked meals
  • Connect with other participants along the way

• Benefits 9
  • Facilities 8
Tara

Best Experience of My Life!

Teaching in Spain over the summer was amazing! I participated in another program in Italy before coming to Madrid, Spain. I lived with an awesome host family and taught their two teenagers for 3-4 hours a day during the week. I met friend who also went through InterExchange and her family was actually friends with mine. We traveled on the weekends together on our off time throughout Spain and Portugal. My favorite places were Barcelona, Sevilla, Segovia and Lisbon, Portugal. I learned so much about my family and their culture. They had a house near the mountains and a flat in Madrid. I would highly recommend living with a host family and connecting with other expats for travel! I still keep in touch with my family and plan to visit them again in the near future!

Response from InterExchange

Sounds like a perfect trip! Glad you got to travel a lot and enjoyed your host family stay. Thanks for the review!

Hannah

Better than studying abroad

I did this program because I had completed the necessary classes/credits I needed to graduate from college but I still needed the experience of going abroad. I chose this for several reasons, firstly because it was reasonably priced without making me have to take unnecessary classes. I’m really glad I did it because I felt that living with children allowed me to learn more than any class could have as kids are not offended by mistakes that you make in the language and allow you to be yourself. Then their parents would help me when I made mistakes. After an entire summer together we became like family.

As someone who was working towards being a teacher I did not use the lesson plans provide as they did not match my teaching style.
Jacqulyn

Teaching in a small Spanish town

I applied to teach in Spain through Interexchange. The experience was life-changing and I couldn't have asked for a better adventure on my first time abroad. I was placed with a host family in a small town near Barcelona. My host family was incredible and by far the best part of my experience. I was shown around Catalonia every weekend, including in family events, and comfortable and well-accomadated. Interexchange also placed another participant in my small town and that helped me socialize while abroad. It was the first step in my traveling abroad and seeing the world and since the program I have continued traveling and been even more successful.

Response from InterExchange

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback Jacqulyn. We're so glad you had a good experience and are continuing to travel! ~InterExchange

Dani

Spain Conversation Coach

I'm so happy here! My family is a very good fit for me. They treat me like their own daughter. I was expecting to be homesick by now but they have made me so comfortable. I would like to be closer to Madrid but I wouldn't trade my location for a different family.

It has been great meeting other tutors. I also went on a trip with the program Be Madrid and met many people through that too. This has been a wonderful experience so far and I'm so glad I took this chance.

It would be nice if I had a form of income

About InterExchange

InterExchange is a nonprofit organization devoted to promoting cross-cultural awareness through international work and volunteer exchange programs. For 40+ years, InterExchange has connected young adults from all over the world with life-changing...