This program is no longer offered. View more programs from WorldTeach.
WorldTeach - Volunteer Teaching in Tanzania - Past Programs

WorldTeach - Volunteer Teaching in Tanzania - Past Programs

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from WorldTeach.

In Tanzania, WorldTeach offers both a semester-long and year-long program. WorldTeach has been working with Tanzanian Ministry of Education to expand its programs for teachers in Tanzania to new schools and regions. Volunteers with WorldTeach will be working as English, Mathematics, and Science teachers in a wide range of secondary schools throughout the country. Your responsibilities will probably include 20 classes per week for 45 minutes each class. There are also opportunities to participate in community projects to become more involved. Past projects include teaching extra English classes, coaching sports, starting art clubs, or developing the school library or computer room.

Qualifications:

Native-level English speaker
Bachelor's degree holder
Between the ages of 21 and 74
Highly flexible and mature with a genuine interest in teaching

Africa » Tanzania
Salary / Benefits
• Personal guidance through application process
• Pre-departure literature & preparation
• Comprehensive visa sponsorship & assistance
• Health & emergency evacuation insurance
• Orientation Training- including teacher training, teaching practicum, language and cultural immersion, safety and security briefing
• Support from full time in-country staff
• Professional development with Teacher Quality
Coordinator
• Meals & housing during training and conferences
• Transportation to and from placement site
• Monthly stipend

Chelsea
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Simon Fraser University

Beautiful year in Tanzania

How can I sum up this year in a meaningful way?
This was an absolutely incredible experience and while I came for to help my students, I learned so much from them and I experienced tremendous personal growth.
Facing water buckets, candlelight, spiders, bats in dresses, walls of heat, and bus rides crammed in with 12 people and some chickens was be a challenge, there is no doubt...but the challenges are WELL worth it!
My fondest and proudest memories during this year come from the hours spent in the learning lab we created. Watching my students, who are often too afraid to talk to teachers or lack the confidence to attempt English, come into their own controlled space, eager to learn, was incredible. Take Vumilia for example who, at the beginning of my time in my village was too afraid to speak a word in class…my last week at school she came in and read me 5 books in one sitting. I love her. I love all of them! I saw excitement, curiosity, and the beginnings of a new chapter in each students’ learning journey throughout the year and they made me SO incredibly proud.
They were the reason I came but they proved to be the reason to get up and face the dust, the rats, the heat, or just the long day ahead every morning (although my bat friends were a close second). I hope they learned something from me, however small, as I have learned so much from them. They really are what made my year unforgettable.

The support I received from WorldTeach was excellent. When I was sick, frustrated, or passing through the city I always knew that I would be able to talk to my field director Kim. She was amazing but because of the way the WorldTeach program is set up, I never felt pressured. I felt that she truly cared about me, how I was doing at my site and how my students were.

While the Tanzania program is not available, I strongly recommend the WorldTeach program to anyone wishing for a year of true service (not just a holiday).

A couple suggestions: if you are seriously looking into this type of program, do your research!! Know what you are getting yourself into because you want to be able to do your job effectively without regrets :)

I felt that the end of the program was very quick and it was difficult to process the year in a one-day conference. However, I think our field director did a good job with what she was given!

Elise
Tallahassee, FL
University of Florida

Rural Tanzania

The people and experience is amazing. There are challenges with the living situation and language barrier, but nothing that the volunteer should not expect. Most placements do not have running water or easy access to a market.

The program could be improved by a more extensive search for potential schools. There are so many schools that need teachers, but some of the program placements where not at these locations.

Sara
Minneapolis
Bethel University

Great Year!

My WorldTeach experience could not have been any better. WorldTeach ensured I was prepared for a year of life in rural Tanzania by securing me a teaching position, housing, transportation and proper training. I entered with minimal teacher's education and felt more than equipped to teach my students once the semester started and I was in front of my first class.

Raquel
Tanzania
University of California- Los Angeles

WorldTeach-Tanzania

I had a wonderful experience with WorldTeach Tanzania. I was a volunteer English teacher in northern Tanzania. My placement was fantastic and I really enjoyed my experience. The program is run well and they offer tons of support. Placements are picked well. I had incredibly positive experience and I would definitely would recommend this program.

Leigh
Berthoud, Colorado
Macalester College

Infrastructure to build an incredible immersion experience

WorldTeach Tanzania maintains the perfect balance of supporting their volunteers while providing them with opportunities to craft their own experience. I treasured my full immersion, a real adventure!

If I could change anything, I would include more country-specific educational information in the orientation. This was by no means a low-stakes teaching job. Every class and every day mattered, and I wish I had felt better prepared for my classroom before I arrived at my site.

Teacher
Brattleboro, Vermont
Skidmore College

Challenging & Rewarding

My time with WorldTeach Tanzania was one of the most challenging, yet definitely one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I was a volunteer during the very first year the WT Tanzania program was running. I was living in a small town with another volunteer and teaching at a local government-run secondary school. I taught O-Level (the equivalent of American Middle School 7th grade-Level) English classes to Form 1 students at my school. Every day, I taught over 200 students - each of my 4 classes per day usually had 60 students in attendance. While the conditions were trying at times without electricity in my classroom and there being limited chalk to write with, I made the best of the situation with the help of my enthusiastic students and was able to successfully teach for almost an entire year with the program. Not only did I teach English classes, but I also helped organize and run a Spanish Language Club and a Global Citizens Club with some of my students. I also nightly voluntarily tutored adult women in my community who had never had access to English education and wished to speak English. The program was certainly worth attending. The wealth of practical teaching experience I gained from my WT program helped me earn TEFL Certification. I have used this certificate to help me continue to teach international students now that I am back home in the U.S. I am also still in touch with many of the people I met in Tanzania - fellow teachers and my former students - all of whom I was able to build strong relationships with. If you are looking for a warm, inviting culture, a challenging teaching environment, and desire diving right in then I would suggest volunteering with WT Tanzania. You'll certainly grow from the unforgettable experience!

I would suggest there be more stable financial support while in-country. We were supposed to receive $200 each month ($50 from WT and $150 from the Tanzanian Ministry of Education) as a living stipend, but it took nearly 4 months to get our first payment from the government. Ensuring that the WT program will be able to support volunteers in-country is essential. Volunteers who are dependent on this money should not be faulted for the government not paying them on time, so I recommend that WT pay volunteers upfront and on time so they will not have to worry while in-country. Also, I would recommend that there be more support for volunteers in helping them find materials (such as books, music, radio broadcasts, etc.) to teach with. The local English language teaching books were not always accurate and often times were not as useful as some other teaching books might have been. Perhaps giving volunteers a list of books they can purchase before landing in Tanzania, or giving them more complete English teaching guides when they arrive in country would be beneficial.

Matt
Los Angeles, CA
Stonehill College

Amazing Experience

I was part of the first cohort to participate in the Tanzania program, and could not say enough great things about WorldTeach and the support it provided. While every experience living abroad is what you make of it, WorldTeach does a great job in setting every volunteer up for success and having a truly rewarding and fulfilling experience.

Alex
Madison, WI
Western Washington University

Fantastic program

Teaching in Tanzania was an amazing experience through WorldTeach. WorldTeach partners with the Ministry of Education and Vocational Training to place teachers in secondary schools of need (as English, Math or Science teachers). It's a year long program, and the Field Director provides training, and support.

Ideally it would start with the start of the academic year (January-December) instead of July-May.

NgaraGirl
George Washington University

WorldTeach TZ

I chose WorldTeach Tanzania because I loved the idea of working directly with the home country's government, being able to select English, Math or Science subjects to teach, and being put into a site where you have no choice but to interact and engage with the local community and not other "mzungus". The program lived up to my expectations, the students melted my heart, and living as a local Tanzanian would was a challenge I will never regret. It's certainly not an easy year, but it was the best one of my life.

The end-of-service for the program is extremely short and abrupt. I wish we had more time to unwind, process our thoughts, and reflect on the year as a group before going our own ways.

Mbeya
Atlanta, Georgia

WorldTeach in Tanzania

The WorldTeach Tanzania program offers a true African experience. Bucket showers, electricity outages, cooking outside, shopping at the weekly market- these are all things that make the program special. You're in a small village, so speaking Swahili is a must. The kids really depend on you and want to learn English. Everybody wants to know you and everything about you. It's a trip.

WorldTeach was founded in 1986 by a group of Harvard students who were motivated by the desire to promote local education initiatives in places where teachers and resources were lacking. Today, we continue to provide opportunities for individuals to serve as volunteer teachers around the