Wombat Conservation

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Naturewise Eco Escapes.

2-day wildlife tour to help save Australia’s Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat at Brookfield Conservation Park.

A great overnight experience local at Brookfield Conservation Park, 130km north-east of Adelaide in South Australia. The park provides fantastic opportunities to encounter a variety of Australian wildlife. The Conservation Park is also one of the last remaining strongholds for populations of the Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat. Enjoy an educational guided tour of the park to learn about its history and unique wildlife, see wildlife in the wild, and mingle with visiting researchers to gain a fascinating insight into the world of conservation – and the world of our very cute furry friends! The park is home to a wide variety of unique wildlife, not only the Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat, but also to species such as the Fat-tailed Dunnart and Common Dunnart, abundant bird life, kangaroos, lizards, echidnas and more.

• Guided survey experience on birds, animals and plants
  • See iconic South Australian wildlife in their natural habitats
  • Small and personalised tour experience
  • A rewarding tour helping save the Southern Hairy-nosed Wombat
  • Exclusive overnight park access

• Staff 10
  • Organization 10
Jeanette

Wombat Weekend

I traveled to South Australia to do this 2-day tour which was great value for money, informative and a great way to escape the city and contribute to wildlife conservation. I did it to add practical experience to my University Degree in Sustainable Development and Conservation and Wildlife Biology, and enjoy a holiday in Adelaide at the same time. I was very pleased to be involved with the vegetation survey, animal detection through scat analysis, spotlighting and installation of camera raps at wombat burrows. Accommodation was satisfactory and the food excellent.

I would have loved to stay an extra day/night to do an overnight wombat stakeout. These animals are nocturnal and very cryptic.
Marjory

Brookfield Wombat Habitat

I can not speak highly enough of this program. The staff in Adelaide at the Conservation Counsel Office was very approachable, professional and knowledgeable. They have an excellent staff not only in the administrative office but especially on the many locations where they provide volunteer opportunities. Coming from Canada, I learned a lot about the local flora/fauna and the endangerment of sensitive environmental areas. Our time spent at Brookfield was extremely interesting and very educational. It was great to be involved in a project on ground level and actually get your hands dirty.
I can not speak highly enough of the professionalism and the commitment to which the staff dedicate their time. It was one of my most memorable experiences in South Australia.
Wish we could have stayed longer,
Marjory McFadyen.

The program is excellent the way it is.
I would have enjoyed a half hour of free time to roam around and explore the area around the homestead a little. (I enjoy photography)
Emily

A meaningful program that made an impact in my life

The Brookfield Wombat tour is a tour thats close to my heart. Before this tour I knew very little about the natural habitats of the Murray Region of South Australia, knew very little about the different species of kangaroos, wombats, birds and plants of the region, and knew nothing about the history of this region and people.
By joining this tour I've learned about the complex natural systems that lives in the ground, learned to identify some different species of birds by their flight pattern and posture, got to know A LOT more of the native animals in the region, and stories of the people that lived in Brookfield regions.

A great tour for its value. A great cause too, this tour supports the survival of the Brookfield Wombats.

P.S. definitely recommend sleeping in swags out on the front porch. The night sky is amazing. But choose a windy day to do so, otherwise the mosquitos...

About Naturewise Eco Escapes

We offer meaningful and rewarding eco travel experiences where you can connect with nature, wildlife and like-minded travellers. All tours support wildlife conservation efforts.

Get off the beaten track and go behind the scenes to experience the best...