Iceland: Energy and Climate Change at the Arctic Circle

New York Times Student Journeys Iceland puffins
New York Times Student Journeys Iceland puffins
New York Times Student Journeys Iceland

Explore energy and climate change in Iceland, a country with a dynamic geologic landscape that is at the forefront of the renewable energy movement. Joined by a New York Times climate reporter, visit glaciers, waterfalls, volcanoes and thermal pools. Meet with fisherman, climate scientists and historians and learn about different perspectives on climate change on this 15-day program.

• See first-hand how climate change affects local communities
  • Visit the Latrabjarg cliffs, Europe’s westernmost tip, and a bird sanctuary and puffin breeding ground
  • Interview local fisherman about new species that are migrating north with warming sea temperatures
  • Scout for Arctic fox cubs as you hike in the remote Hornstrandir Reserve
  • Handle volcanic rock and ash from Iceland’s most recent volcanic eruptions, then soak in the famous Blue Lagoon thermal pool

• Staff 10
  • Organization 10
Sabrina

Best 2 Weeks

The two weeks I spent in Iceland were probably the best two weeks of my life. All of the adventures we went on were incredible. I will never forget the nature we saw on this trip. I learned so much about climate change and Icelandic culture, but the learning never took away from any of the fun. It was amazing to interact with people who lived in Iceland and learn about how different their life is from mine. I became good friends with a girl my age who lives in Isafjordur, and we are still in touch. The trip changed the way I live my life, in the sense of how aware of the environment I am. I try my best to never use plastic water bottles, and the environment is on my mind no matter what I do. I've actually decided to start only using natural and environmentally friendly shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. It's really my experience in Iceland that showed me how important it is to be environmentally conscious. I was always aware of climate change, but it's so different to see the effects first hand. But other than climate related things, I made friendships on this trip to last a lifetime. I miss everyone from the trip so much. I look back on our memories together all the time, and I wish I could relive this trip with them. It was one of my best decisions to decide to go on this student journey.

Nicole

You Will Not Regret It!

If you're up for two weeks filled with adventure, fun, and lasting friendships this is the trip for you. You're voyaging and exploring Iceland's most beautiful locations and amazing people with like-minded students. There was never a dull moment, and to this day I find myself reminiscing on the fantastic summer I had with the leaders and other students. You get the chance to drive through the beautiful fjords, hike glaciers, fish in the Nordic waters, visit and soak in hot springs (including the Blue Lagoon), venture off in the capital of Reykjavik, try genuine and traditional Icelandic cuisine and dishes (like cured shark), and learn of the Icelandic culture from Icelandic locals and experts. This trip goes beyond being something to put on your resume- it's become a memory I will never forget.

Location:
45 F / 25 F
Airports:
Keflavík Airport
( KEF )

Iceland has been an up and coming tourist destination for the past couple years and there is a good reason why. Iceland is a perfect destination for thrill seekers and explorers, as they have unrivaled scenery with the Northern Lights, geothermal baths, glaciers and black beaches.

About New York Times Student Journeys

New York Times Student Journeys offers educational summer travel programs to intellectually curious middle and high school students. Go beyond the headlines to explore newsworthy destinations and topics—from public health in Peru and and immigration...