21 Day Explorer Tour - South Africa

This gem of a tour was build by an independent traveler for other open-minded travelers when he arrived at the shores of Southern Africa for the first time many moons ago.
You are young, adventurous, but still a little cautious with finding your ways traveling in new countries? This is for you.
You are a young professional with limited time at your hands and without the luxury of exploring for 2-3 months before finding the hiddem gems? You also don't wanna sit in a coach with ancient ones rushing from hotspot to hotspot? This is for you.
You are a so-called "babyboomer", young at heart and in general a rock n roller? This is for you.

We basically created a comprehensive highlight tour of South Africa and iSwatini (formerly known as Swaziland) which runs from Johannesburg to Cape Town every second month in 2019 starting from February. Expect abundant nature, local vibes all the way, great playlist to underline postcard scenery, local cuisine and adventure activities all the way.

• Kruger National Park incl. Safaris, trekking and bush walks
  • The Kingdom of iSwatini (formerly known as Swaziland)
  • Tugela Falls Hike in the Drakensberg Mountains (2nd highest waterfall in the world)
  • The Transkei (Wildcoast area of the Eastern Cape)
  • The Garden Route incl. hikes, experiences and local food

• Staff 10
  • Organization 9.8

Book this trip!

When I first arrived I did not know what to expect. And then this trip simply turned out to be one of my most precious travel experiences ever. Not only do you get to see a Southern Africa beyond the typical, touristic routes, you also get to know kind and warm people to travel with. We had so much fun as a group - also because the guides were wonderful, inspiring and innovative people. Besides traveling through gorgeous nature you get to experience yourself in a new way, too. I think if everyone took this journey, our world would be a little bit more open minded and mindful of each other because this travel experience also gives you an insight into Southern Africa that you would normally not have and it also cures some common misconceptions of the South of Africa as being infested by criminality and such. In fact you get to learn to change your perspective on the world and its inhabitants. What more than this coupled with so much fun and laughter could one expect from a travel experience? This is why I say: Boot the trip! You will not regret it!

For me there was nothing that could have been improved, I was absolutely happy!
Hannah

out of your comfort zone

When I graduated from school in 2012 I felt like exploring some other countries, go out into the world and come back with some great impressions. I guess I'm not the only one with this, it's kind of "modern". But there is a reason for this, I think you kind of "find yourself" by putting yourself into situations that are new, that you handle, and from which you grow and learn. Thats what you call "getting out of my comfort zone".
I always dreamed to explore Africa one day but I didn't know how to travel in a country that maybe isn't on the "worlds safest places" list. This is when I read about "Rock the Route- Pangea Trails". They offered a 21 day explorer tour through South Africa, from Johannesburg to Cape Town, and showed every stop during the road with some happy looking pictures on their homepage.
Anyway, when a friend of mine and I booked this tour we weren't quite sure about what to expect. But this made the surpirse even bigger.
When I tell friends about this tour I always say "it is the perfect mix of important places you want to see as a tourist and tiny secret places you never would have seen without this tour." I felt like our guide, who was even more than only a "guide", was showing us "his Africa" and not only Africa. This is what made this tour very special to me.
There is something for everyone: go hiking above the clouds, sleeping in the jungle, see some wild animals on a safari or go bungee jumping on the worlds highest bungee (only if you want!) or on a wine tasting near cape town, do some sportive exercises or relax in a hammock. I am sure you will find your own personal highlight!
By letting someone "show" you the country, you will get really close to it.
Go out and make some memories!
Love from Germany

Book this trip!

In my opinion it was all wonderful. Of course everybody will have their own view but for me it was just perfect!
Cal

Amazing trip

Great way to experience the east coast of South Africa. Everythong from animal safaris to beautiful landscapes, mountain climbing and excellent cultural activities are included on this tour. The price was good and very inclusive. No hidden charges. The service was excellent Alex and Khotso really know how to take care of you and if a problem arises they are on it and will do whateever they can to fix it. Highly recommend this trip to any one who is looking to explore all areas of South Africa.

Alyssa

Feed your soul!

This trip is a must! I went to South Africa in August of 2014 and to this day, South Africa remains my favorite travel experience. Not only was I able to integrate myself in the South African culture and experience new people, foods and landscapes - I was encouraged to push my own boundaries and go outside of my comfort zone, having gone bungee jumping off the largest bungee bridge in the world and shark cage diving! This was an experience of a lifetime and contributed greatly to my personal growth in so many ways. Our coordinator, Alex, was incredible in showing us all what the beautiful country of South Africa has to offer - this is a trip I would undoubtedly go on again. From East London to Cape Town, I made friends and memories for a lifetime.

no improvements needed :) this program is perfect!
Christy

Never wanted to leave :)

I loved loved LOVED my trip to South Africa. My 3 weeks there I learned so much about S. African cultures, tried amazing new food, explored epic landscapes, went on safaris, worked and engaged with locals, swam in the sea, and ticked a few bucket list items such as diving with Great White Sharks and bungee jumping of the world's highest bridge bungee. The people I met and travelled with are forever in my heart. When there, our group worked with local farmers to help build a creche (a kindergarten classroom) in a local farming community. The daily work was tough, but working in the community and learning so much about South Africa's culture, history, politics was invaluable. This experience with locals made our whole trip so much more meaningful. The staff did an incredible job creating an experience that gave us a true taste of what South Africa has to offer. I can't wait to go back. :)

Jamie

An experience of a lifetime

The journey with Rock the Route far exceeded my expectations. I was incredibly impressed each and everyday. It goes without saying that the sights we saw were just incredible, though it was made unique, comfortable, engaging and beyond other travel experiences because of the incredible staff.

They where consistently were looking for ways to help us engage, experience something special and also connect with the experience we were having. I felt like I've come away from this experience with life long friends and achieved things beyond my personal self belief whilst feeling incredibly supported and safe along the journey.

I couldn't recommend the 21 Discovery tour more highly. You're missing out if you don't put this opportunity on your bucket list. I don't believe you will ever have a travel experience like this attempting to achieve it alone, despite how well travelled you may be.

To only have more opportunity to having this experience elsewhere. Though I think keeping it exactly the way it is makes it perfect.
Robert

Amazing trip!

I will never forget this amazing trip. I have seen all of the country and its people in 21 days and most importantly in an authentic way. The company itself was relaxed and well organized, the group was a fair mix of great travelers from around the world, but we also met amazing other people in all backpackers we stayed. Another plus was the choice and range of different accommodation on the trip. Summed up, just brilliant. Would def recommend this tour and do it all over again.

At the end of the trip, a few days in cape town would be cool.

About Rock the Route

The best way to learn about yourself and the world around you, is to travel and speak to people you meet on your trails and routes. Rock the Route and Pangea Trails combine a road trip approach "behind the railway lines" with a focus on natural...