Loop Abroad: Wild Tropics Program in Thailand

Loop Abroad: Wild Tropics Program in Thailand

This two-week program takes place throughout Thailand and is your chance to learn about and participate in conservation at some of the most beautiful locations in Thailand. For one week, you are based in Chiang Mai, in the North of the country. From here, you can explore cave systems, rain forests, jungles, and mountains, including the highest point in Thailand at the tail end of the Himalayas. From ziplining through the jungle to exploring the cultural side of the city at everything from markets to temples, you'll really get to know the wild side of Chiang Mai. This includes a day visit to an ethical elephant sanctuary where you can feed and bathe elephants.

Then, spend the second week in the South of Thailand on beautiful Koh Tao, "turtle island". This beachside location will allow you to learn about marine conservation from experts and participate in activities such as helping regrow coral reefs. Get in the ocean each day with snorkel and SCUBA.

• SCUBA, snorkel with sea turtles, ziplining, elephants, conservation
Asia » Thailand » Chiang Mai
Small Group (1-15)
Transportation
Boat
Plane
All inclusive except international airfare (domestic airfare between program locations is included). Financial aid is available.

• Staff
  • Organization

Jasmine

Great experience overall!

This past summer I was able to travel to Thailand with loop abroad. I chose the wild tropics program because it had it all! We experienced Thai culture with an excellent local guide, learned about reforestation, explored temples, had an introduction to Buddhist meditation and ziplined through the jungle all just in the first week in Chiang Mai!

Our second week we flew down south to the island of Koh Tao which was my favourite part of the trip! In this week we learned about coral reef ecosystems from the incredible team at New Heaven reef conservation, scuba dove, snorkelled helped the New heaven team rebuild mooring lines and even got to see a few turtles and sharks!

These 2 weeks were jam packed with crazy experiences and opportunities, I met some amazing people, got to eat tons of delicious food and experience Thailand on a more cultural/educational level!

My adivce would be to prepare for a busy 2 weeks, try something new and maybe a bit crazy (I ate a cricket!) and make the most of Thailand, the stories and friends you make on this trip will stay with you forever!

The only negative things I have to say would be that with the program being so new I wish it would have been more organized and I wish we had been a little bit more prepared as to what we should pack and what we should expect.

Carlie

Wild Tropics

This summer, I took the trip of a lifetime with Loop Abroad. Not only did I work hands-on with animals of all different species (sharks, sea turtles, elephants, bats, fish, water buffalo, dogs, cats, etc) I got to experience the lovely culture of Thailand. While spending my time in Chaing Mai or Koh Tao, I was immersed in extremely valuable knowledge and life lessons. The experience opened myself up to a whole new world of possibilities. The wild tropics program through Loop Abroad also confirmed I want to go to graduate school for biology!

There was a lack of communication at some points between Loop Abroad Staff and our group. I wish we had a more clear outline of the entire trip, as well as more communication about what we would be doing for the day. Also, even though the temples were beautiful, I would advise for future groups not to go to so many temples. I would have rather studied more biology than temples.

This is Loop Abroad's 8th year offering exciting animal and teaching programs in Asia and Africa. We offer summer and semester programs for people who love animals, travel, adventure, and authentic experiences. Each program is an opportunity for students to get hands-on experience with greatly