Loop Abroad: Wild Tropics Program in Thailand

At a Temple
At a Temple
After a HUGE Hike
After a HUGE Hike

This two-week program takes place throughout Thailand and is your chance to learn about and participate in conservation at some of the most beautiful locations in Thailand. For one week, you are based in Chiang Mai, in the North of the country. From here, you can explore cave systems, rain forests, jungles, and mountains, including the highest point in Thailand at the tail end of the Himalayas. From ziplining through the jungle to exploring the cultural side of the city at everything from markets to temples, you'll really get to know the wild side of Chiang Mai. This includes a day visit to an ethical elephant sanctuary where you can feed and bathe elephants.

Then, spend the second week in the South of Thailand on beautiful Koh Tao, "turtle island". This beachside location will allow you to learn about marine conservation from experts and participate in activities such as helping regrow coral reefs. Get in the ocean each day with snorkel and SCUBA.

• SCUBA, snorkel with sea turtles, ziplining, elephants, conservation

• Staff 9.8
  • Organization 7.8
Shaye

Once in a lifetime opportunity

This experience was a once in a lifetime opportunity. The first week at Elephant nature park was unbelievable. You got great vet experience with not only the elephants but with the rescue dog and cats. I felt very safe while working with the elephants. The employees at the park and the loop abroad guides were very helpful and friendly. The second week at the dog clinic was even more in depth vet experience with dogs and cats. When not working with the vets, loop abroad brought you out to see the sights and taste some local food. I felt safe the whole time at the night bazaar, the temples, and all the restaurants. The food was the same while at elephant nature park for the week, which I didn't mind. While in the city the food was different every night, I never had a bad food. The hostel at elephant nature park was a great new experience, and the hotel in the city was clean and had A/C. The would recommend to any one who is thinking about going to vet school, likes biology, loves elephants, and even if you just like adventures and new travels.

Cristen

The Thai Trip of a Lifetime

I studied abroad with Loop Abroad in Thailand for the two-week college veterinary service. This experience was so enriching and I learned so much about veterinary medicine in Thailand, elephant medicine, shelter medicine with stray dogs and cats, and more! We also had so many opportunities to get hands-on experience practicing the skills we learned in class.

In addition to veterinary lessons, I grew to appreciate Thai culture, food, and language. Loop Abroad organized the two-week trip in a way that afforded me the opportunity to feel like I truly experienced Thailand to the fullest! I tried new foods, wore baggy Thai pants, learned a few traditional Thai dances, and even went zip-lining through the jungle! I would recommend studying with Loop Abroad to anyone looking for adventure, rich culture, and personal growth as a future veterinary medical professional!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Two Loop Abroad staff members that served as our guides the first week in Chiang Mai bought food for us at one of the local markets and we tried so many unfamiliar snacks like mango sticky rice, bean sticky rice in a bamboo stick, and even dried bamboo worms!
Maranda

Life Changing Experience

I have been apart of many different trips and organizations over the years where I went through the motions. I never made any real connections with people and never had an experience leave an imprint on me like this trip did. If you want to light a fire under your butt and you want to come home excited this is the trip for you. I was able to experience so much in three weeks: conservation workin the forest, SCUBA diving, conservation survey in the ocean, meeting a monk, visiting temples; The list never stops. I feel like Wild Tropics is the best program to give you a true taste of Thailand because you go everywhere. I do think that a lot of my fantastic experience came from the people I was with. The tour guide our group had was hands down the best person to ever walk on the face of the earth. Jing cared about all of us and tried every second of the day to make us happy. Also the group of students I was with quickly became like a family to me. I can honestly say that Loop gave me a summer that made saying goodbye at the end of the program so hard.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Meeting my group for the first time was terrifying to me because I struggle to make friends. I know it is cliché to say but be yourself because chances are you are in a group of people just like you. I was extremely accepted by my group and I can say that they are some of the most fantastic people I have ever met. I am thankful that Loop gave me them.
Haley

Amazing experience

I loved going on the trip with people from my university as well as people from different states since the trip ended with friendships I could carry on after the trip. The staff and every one involved were incredible, I formed friendships with many of the staff members and felt they were the perfect fit for the trip. I only wish there were more scholarships available to help with the costs, but appreciate the fundraising tips. The process of signing up for credit was somewhat confusing, but that was mostly the fault of my university. The food, activities, people were all amazing and every part of this trip shaped my life and changed my perspective on a lot of things. I learned so much about conservation, veterinary medicine, and it was taught it an exciting and engaging way.

Fully embrace everything you take part in. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and try new things. The trip sounds long, but feels short so soak up every minute of it. Network and make connections. Don’t let little conflicts that may come up change the way you represent your university or country. Be open minded!
Jasmine

Great experience overall!

This past summer I was able to travel to Thailand with loop abroad. I chose the wild tropics program because it had it all! We experienced Thai culture with an excellent local guide, learned about reforestation, explored temples, had an introduction to Buddhist meditation and ziplined through the jungle all just in the first week in Chiang Mai!

Our second week we flew down south to the island of Koh Tao which was my favourite part of the trip! In this week we learned about coral reef ecosystems from the incredible team at New Heaven reef conservation, scuba dove, snorkelled helped the New heaven team rebuild mooring lines and even got to see a few turtles and sharks!

These 2 weeks were jam packed with crazy experiences and opportunities, I met some amazing people, got to eat tons of delicious food and experience Thailand on a more cultural/educational level!

My adivce would be to prepare for a busy 2 weeks, try something new and maybe a bit crazy (I ate a cricket!) and make the most of Thailand, the stories and friends you make on this trip will stay with you forever!

The only negative things I have to say would be that with the program being so new I wish it would have been more organized and I wish we had been a little bit more prepared as to what we should pack and what we should expect.
Carlie

Wild Tropics

This summer, I took the trip of a lifetime with Loop Abroad. Not only did I work hands-on with animals of all different species (sharks, sea turtles, elephants, bats, fish, water buffalo, dogs, cats, etc) I got to experience the lovely culture of Thailand. While spending my time in Chaing Mai or Koh Tao, I was immersed in extremely valuable knowledge and life lessons. The experience opened myself up to a whole new world of possibilities. The wild tropics program through Loop Abroad also confirmed I want to go to graduate school for biology!

There was a lack of communication at some points between Loop Abroad Staff and our group. I wish we had a more clear outline of the entire trip, as well as more communication about what we would be doing for the day. Also, even though the temples were beautiful, I would advise for future groups not to go to so many temples. I would have rather studied more biology than temples.

About Loop Abroad

Loop Abroad has been offering exciting animal and teaching programs abroad since 2009. We offer summer and semester programs for people who love animals, travel, adventure, and authentic experiences. With programs in Asia, Africa, Australia and...