Go Overseas

Berkeley, CA

Member for

8 years 3 months

Go Overseas was started with the simple idea of creating a centralized website to provide the resources required for meaningful travel abroad. That idea has grown and expanded into what you see here, a community driven website of like minded people who are all passionate about teaching, studying and volunteering abroad.

Travel Experience
0-5 Countries
Facebook Twitter Personal Site

Written by Michaela

I'm an avid Beatles fan who get excited at the slight whiff of a meatball, so I knew this would be a great program for me.

Go Underseas provided me with a magical 1-month experience underseas in a yellow submarine (yes, it was actually a yellow submarine). While the 5am wakeup call is tough, the day was jam packed with exciting activities. I really enjoyed my eggs breakfast accompanied by The Breakfast Club theme song playing in the background (I appreciate a good ode to John Hughes). Underwriting was a good time to settle down and prep for the day. I usually wrote about meatball subs. The turkey sub was great (although I would have preferred tuna 2x a day).

The staff were kind and helpful, as well! They were always willing to help me and my good buddy Joenny. The team manager, Anna was extremely organized and helpful. Mr. Dunkle, the submarine driver, operated the sub with ease which made us feel safe. The course leader, Tucker was full of energy and ideas, and our Captain Mitch did regular check-ins to see how we were doing. The only thing missing from the trip was my good friend Val who chose to go on the Space Cruiser trip instead. We really went in opposite directions on this one, huh?!

Overall, Go Underseas was an amazing program with amazing people. Everyone should try it out!

N/A these people rock.

Written by Mallory

Life is not better down where it's wetter, take it from me. I'm used to working all day, out in the sun slaving away. Was looking forward to devotin my full time to floatin under the sea... Turns out this program is all washed up.

I was promised troves of treasures untold. Gadgets and gizmos aplenty, whozits and whatzits galore and thingamabobs (at least twenty). NOTHING.

Professor Ursula is such a witch. I feel bad for the poor unfortunate souls who have to make it through her lecture every day. She does know how to keep a class quiet though.

No, I don't recommend this program

Written by Jenny

Going on this program with Go Underseas was life changing! Who would've known you could have such a great time on a submarine?

The views are truly unlike anything you'll ever sea... blue, blue, and more blue! Shades of blue that you never knew existed. They also allowed me to bring my dog with me on the submarine. The only condition was that I had to change his name, so he became "Subwoofer".

I rated the safety as a 10 because submarines are safer than airplanes. Proof in the fact is that there are more airplanes in the water than submarines in the air.

Be sure to bring binoculars, solar powered lights, and houseplants...

I'll leave you with a submarine joke:

"Ever hear the joke about the broken submarine?"
"It didn't go down well."

Written by Anna

I loved my study abroad experience deeply.

I thought I would miss fresh air, but turns out, you become a much better student when you eliminate all outside distractions + communication from those pesky land dwellers. To entertain myself, I'd do my homework and challenge myself with the extra credit assignments (I'm rating academics an 8 out of 10 because the underwater basket weaving courses could have been more in-depth as Valerie mentions below). *bonus* I loved the fact that Chips Ahoy were served every day for dessert as well.

Overall, a 10/10 and would not recommend returning to dry land.

Eliminate all re-surfacing field trips. It takes away from the authenticity of the submarine experience.

Written by Izzy

Subheading: under-the-radar incredible program.

Just because submarines are under the ocean doesn't mean they should be forgotten, and neither should this program. Plus, the sub sandwiches were sublime. Each day, I became more and more able to sing along to both morning and night serenades. My writing skills improved. So did my underwater photography. I really learned how to 'seas the day', as the crew kept saying.

Going under the sea with Go Underseas was the best decision I've ever made. I surfaced a whole new woman; most notably, my favorite color is yellow now.

If you aren't sure that going OVERseas is the right decision for you, I highly suggest going UNDERseas. This is a great way to test the water before jumping into your career.

I would add a roast beef sub to the dinner menu. Delicious!

Written by Valerie

I've always wanted to go underseas, and I've finally had the chance!

Every day, we woke up to nautical themed music blasting through the PA, my favorite by far was the day we woke up to "In the Navy" by the Village People. During the day once, we surfaced and open the top hatch to take a look around -- nothing but sea for miles and miles! I'll never forget the view.

Oh, we also learned underwater basket weaving. And my mom said taking that class would be useless...

My only complaint was that, as a submarine, the doorways were small and I knocked my head a few times crossing through the doors. After the third time, I learned quick enough. What amazing things you learn when YOU go underseas?

Written by Mitch

When I submitted my location preferences, I asked for: 1) Minas Tirith 2) Lorien 3) Hobbiton. They gave me Hobbitton. My 3rd choice! I was forced to eat two breakfasts, two lunches and a 2nd dinner for the entire year. I was the tallest person there all year, which is annoying. Helping someone get the jar down from the top shelf is only fun the first 53 times. Gets old fast.

When I complained to the program staff, they weren't very understanding at all. They wouldn't even CONSIDER moving me.

Other than the above, the program was great. I learned all about Hobbit culture, their farm life, singing and customs. They are wonderful, welcoming people. Even though I probably had 100+ concussions from banging my head on door posts, it was well worth it. In sum, I'd go back to Middle Earth, but would likely insist on a placement more to the east. Even Rohan would have been better in comparison. I know some people complain about all the horses, but I think that would be fun (if a little smelly).

It's important to be more transparent to people that they may get their 3rd choice. I probably wouldn't have gone on the program if I knew I would be in Hobbiton.

Written by Mitch

My main issue with this program was the lack of a Mordor homestay option. I'm OK with outing myself: I love the dark arts. If someone handed me The One True Ring, I'd put it on and rule the world forever. I'd find them... and in the darkness bind them. I'd be nice to some people.... some people. Sauron isn't even there anymore, so it's NOT that dangerous. I want to see what it's like there! I want to climb to the top of Mount Doom, run across the planes of Gorgoroth and sleep in the palace of Barad-dur. I want to fly on the top of a Nazgul and feel their shrieks coursing through my body. I want to train with an army of Orcs and feel what it's like to be one of them!

I don't make moral and ethical judgments of YOU. I don't know why this program makes those judgments of ME and of MORDOR. Let me find my own path. And if that path takes me through the mines of Moria and to the tower of Cirith Ungol.... that is MY CHOICE.

I called the Program Office to ask about a Mordor homestay option and the Elven customer service rep was extremely rude to me. I told her I love orcs and I'm proud of it. She wanted to know everything about my background, who my parents are, etc. She sounded very suspicious. When she told me they were going to send a few Elves to interview me in person... I gave them the wrong address. I don't need them looking down on me.

Gandalf and the rest of those Elvish aristocratic, high society, tea drinking, pinky in the air snobs can take their Study Abroad programs and stuff it. I'll find my own way to Mordor. Oh, and I'll be back someday....

No, I don't recommend this program

Written by Andrew

I spent my formative years dreaming of becoming a Jedi Master. Luke, Obi-Wan, Yoda, they were all my idols, and yes I collected their action figures. I wanted to fight the Dark Side and bring balance back to the galaxy. You can then probably imagine my excitement when I was offered the chance to study abroad on Tatooine with the Jedi Council!!! Amazing!

Let me be the first to tell you that this training course is tough!! In the space of a montage you'll be expected to wield a lightsaber and lift an entire X-Wing out of a sand pit. But I can't argue that this tough training didn't produce results.

The highlight of the semester was definitely taking on a rancor!! Yeap, we chopped that bad boy up. Unfortunately my partner Frankie lost his arm, but the medical staff had a prosthetic installed in no time.

The locals were an interesting group... Not very friendly, but they warmed up after a few Corellian ales. FYI, if you have a droid don't bring it to the bars! We learned that the hard way.

This will go down as one of the best experiences of my life! I met the most amazing people and I'm now pursing a Master's degree in Jedi Studies. Can't recommend this program enough!

Written by Tucker

I spent a very memorable semester at Hogwarts. It's tough to quantify how much I learned in the four months I was there. As a muggle newbie who came in with zero knowledge of the magical world the staff at Hogwarts is responsible for allll of my magical ability (let's just say I was floating feathers by day 4.....).

The castle (as the students affectionally call the main Hogwarts buildings) is really something. Huge, well maintained, with tons of places to study (and get lost). I literally felt like I was living in a museum for four months.

Really the only thing I didn't like about my experience there was the social scene. All students are sorted into houses. Those houses define your friendships (and enemies). I was placed in hufflepuff and immediately knew I wasn't going to be happy. I shared a room with four other guys my year, none of whom I was crazy about. I found it very difficult to make friends outside my house.

I'd go back, but would do my best to avoid that dictatorial sorting hat.

Ditch the compulsory housing system.
Comment Title Attached To Post Date
Thanks for stopping by! We… I will be in BA for a week starting 7/28. It's short notice but I am looking for a volunteer opportunity. Suggestions? 08/15/2018
Yes! Do you guys offer law internships? 08/15/2018
We recommend reading reviews… What does a typical day of the program look like? 08/15/2018
This program has nine… What sports are included in the camp? 08/15/2018
We recommend reaching out to… What does the typical day look like? 08/15/2018
Hi, great question! Our… How long were the classes? Did they actually last 2.5 hours? 08/15/2018
Requirements vary by… What are the admission requirements? 08/15/2018
Hmmm, we're not sure… Does anyone know if this qualification is recognized in Germany? 08/15/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… What were the hours worked? And what days of the week? 08/15/2018
Hi! We were unable to find… Are interns paid? 08/15/2018
Definitely! What if I have absolutely no experience in teaching? Am I still eligible to volunteer? 08/15/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… How old do you have to be to do this by yourself? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for reaching out!… How skilled do you have to be in skiing/snowboarding going into this course? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for asking! We… Is there any scholarship for foreign linguistic lecturers? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for asking! Yes,… Is the security of foreign participants guaranteed in Palestine? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… What salary or wages does an au pair make? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… Is a non-native (but quasi- native) speaker of English eligible for the teaching position? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… Did you get the chance to be immersed in the Japanese language? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… Is there any financial assistance for Asian students? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for asking! You… Do I have to be a native English speaker in order to be able to participate in this project? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… Do you get your meals and housing paid for 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for reaching out!… Do you need a bachelors degree for visa sponsorship ? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… Hi! I am mexican with a tefl, toefl and some online teaching skills for china based company. Can I be elegible? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… Can I apply although I am from Croatia? 08/06/2018
Hi, thanks for stopping by!… How much extra money do you need for things not covered? 08/06/2018