Service Learning in Belize with Toucan Education

The Service Learning in Belize study abroad program focuses on community enrichment and intercultural learning.

This program offers an engaging, and reciprocal learning experience that provides support and structure for meaningful impact in a welcoming and collaborative environment.

Grassroots community and organizations seek out assistance with projects that will make a lasting impact on the community and on the participant.

Our community partners make a commitment to sharing their expertise with our participants and engaging our participants in projects that create value.

This short-term study abroad program includes community-oriented service, discussion forums, and culturally immersive experiences.

Nurture leadership and work-related skills in the most exciting education abroad experience.

Be part of the solution and serve, learn, and explore Belize.

• 8 nights / 9-days in Belize
  • Minimum of 15 hours of community service
  • 4 excursions to places of cultural significance
  • Interactive Intercultural Learning curriculum
  • Community partners committed to participant learning

Impact

Participants on the Service-learning in Belize program will have a unique opportunity to positively impact local communities through their enrichment projects. Imagine enhancing classrooms, working on murals, or supporting local grassroots organizations in meaningful ways.

In our 2018 impact report, community partners shared concrete examples of how a newly painted classroom made a difference to schools and the wider community.

ChrisTindle
Chris

My Time in the Serving in Belize

While the service learning was not academically challenging; that was not the point of this experience. Instead, the time in Belize revolved around experience, cultural identity, and a celebration of others cultural identities. Throughout my stay we visited the San Ignacio Marketplace, we visited Xunatunich, an ancient Mayan Temple, we cooked with Garifuna and Kriol people some of their traditional foods and it was incredible. This, in addition to, we painted classrooms for some of the most joyous kids I've ever seen. They were so full of life and curiosity; very indicative of the Belizean people as a whole. Everywhere we went we were asked as many questions about where we were from as we asked the locals. Overall it was an incredible experience and we did so much more than can be mentioned in a single review.

I would love to see more of a focus on the Garifuna and Kriol people that inhabit Belize. As a black man; it was very important to see cultural representation outside of the United States. It was very important for me to see people of color outside of the normal standards of the United States. I think it would have been nice to delve deeper into the differences of our black culture versus the Belizean black culture.
Marquis

Studying Abroad With Toucan Education Program July 2018.

Studying abroad with TEP was my first time out if the country. My FIRST TIME ON A PLANE. I have always been afraid to fly but I am so glad I tackled that fear this past summer (2018) because the experience was amazing. The diversity of the cultures, the tropical environment, and let us not forget about the FOOD all was great. I cannot wait to go back to Belize. Our endeavors while there gave us real-life experience with people who are different but, everyone there accepted us with one arms. I learned so much more about the world because of this eye opening experience. Ms. Rhondine, Ms. Abbiola, Mr. Roberto, and Ms. Elissa treated our cohort so well. Thank you soooooo much for the opportunity.

Katie

Wonderful experience

I went as college staff with a group of students and I could not have been more impressed with the support we received and the people that we met. Our students did not want to leave! We made so many connections and memories, and I saw a lot of individual growth in our students-- some of whom had never even traveled on a plane! Wonderful food, top-notch service, and really wonderful people met along every step of the way, from the program providers themselves to the people we were put in contact with. There was something for everyone in this experience, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has never traveled internationally before as a first experience (though I would recommend it to veteran travelers as well!)