Wildlife Conservation – Your Volunteer Adventure with NATUCATE

Wildlife Conservation – Your Volunteer Adventure with NATUCATE

In many parts of our world certain species face serious threats due to a variety of reasons. NATUCATE takes you to fascinating places on earth to become active in protecting endangered wildlife and to experience real conservation work. As part of an international team you’ll gain valuable skills and experience exciting challenges. Experienced instructors share their expert knowledge with you and make sure you receive a professional training.

Explore Asia, Central America or Southern Africa and help protect endangered species such as whale sharks, turtles, desert elephants, wild dogs and other wild animals – our projects give you the opportunity to make a valuable contribution to sustainable conservation work as a volunteer and dedicate yourself to vulnerable species.

Take a look at our website to find out more about our different species conservation projects. Go NATUCATE and experience a once-in-a-lifetime adventure!

Africa » Botswana
Guesthouse
Tent

Varina

Turtle Conservation Costa Rica

First of all it is amazing that you live and work right next to or rather on the beach! Moreover you arrive in a super relaxed atmosphere and you are surrounded by a dazzling green nature, delicious fruit and fascinating animals. But of course another highlight of the turtle conservation projects is … the turtles!! You really get to know the conservation work in the hatchery as you take care of it during the day or during the night shifts – mostly in a team of two. The nights are definitely exciting as you keep watch of the hatchery and need to scare off wild animals that try to eat the buried eggs (raccoons, crabs …). Moreover during the nights the chances are higher for the beach patrol team to find a turtle that is laying its eggs on the beach or at least her tracks that often leads to a nest. If that is the case, the eggs are excavated and brought to the hatchery, where they are buried in a safer environment (no tourists, wild animals, poachers or incoming tide). The benefit is, that more turtles are likely to hatch and as you release them on the beach again and watch them crawl to the sea, also less are eaten by other animals. It is a unique experience to stand by the sea at night and watch those really tiny turtles make their way into the waves!

The camps in Montezuma and Sámara are not luxurious and you need to prepare for sand in the house as well as basic facilities! Moreover Sámara is more like an outdoor adventure, as there is no electricity and a really open house on a remote beach. It also took me quite a few days to get used to the occasional gallo pinto breakfast (basically rice and beans), as I usually don´t have such solid meals for breakfast! :D

In the end I am really glad that I participated in the projects as I met so many nice people in the projects as well as around the country and it was a really good and unique conservation experience in a stunning environment! I would definitely go again, if I had the chance:)

Lena
Germany

Turtle Conservation in Costa Rica

Hi there! I spent 3 weeks in Cosa Rica with NATUCATE and had an amazing time :) I am an outdoor and animal lover. Spending time supporting a conservation project was the perfect way for me to start my gap year after I graduated from High School. It definitley helped me with the decison on what to study. Having spent three weeks in this wonderful place made me realise that our environment is so important but also so fragile that it needs protection, which is why i decided to sign in for a bachelor degree in Biology.
My three weeks in Costa Rica went by way to quick and I made a lot of new friends. The accommodation is simply but the view to the beach, the good food and wonderful sunsets pay off the hard work! You definitley should not be afraid of crabs! You will see a lot while you try to prevent them to get to the turtle eggs!
I think September is a good time to travel to volunteer at the project because this is the time when you will see a lot of turtles :)

NATUCATE – our name intentionally combines the English words ‘nature’ and ‘(to) educate’, because it is our aim to reconcile nature and education. We offer educational wilderness courses, internships, sabbaticals and voluntary service abroad with a focus on nature, environmental and wildlife conservation as well