Global Dental Relief Cambodia

Global Dental Relief Cambodia

On our Cambodia clinic, you'll have the opportunity to help provide much-needed dental care and hygiene education to kids in one of Asia's poorest countries. Thanks to our pioneering model of care, over 500 underprivileged children will receive care in a single week. The clinic is centered in Siem Reap, home to the magnificent Angkor Wat temple complex, one of the 7 Wonders of the World, which you will have ample time to explore. See our full schedule for optional extensions to Vietnam, Laos, and Burma.

Siem Reap
Project Types
Spring Break
Year Round
Small Group (1-15)
Medium Group (16-30)
At this writing, the cost for our Cambodia program is $2550 per person. This excludes airfare but includes all in-country transportation including airport transfers, accommodations, sightseeing excursions, and a majority of meals during the clinic. Volunteers often fundraise the entire cost of their participation; all donations toward your volunteer time are tax deductible. Please contact our office ([email protected]) for help with fundraising, and visit our website for the most updated program costs.

Meaningful, immersive, and high-impact volunteer program

GDR is a well-run organization that enables and empowers its volunteers to deliver high-quality care. I was impressed by the organized, attentive, and fun trip leaders and the wonderful local staff from GDR’s parter organizations. As a non-medical volunteer supporting a dentist, I felt that I made an important contribution, and was never sitting idle. The trip leaders do a great job making sure everyone is comfortable in their roles, and will often rotate people if they want to try different stations (e.g. fluoride, records, hygiene).

GDR also does a great job balancing time in the clinic with opportunities to explore Angkor Wat and experience Cambodian culture. Optional activities included temple visits at sunrise and sunset, meals at terrific restaurants, a stunning acrobatics performance, and evening strolls through food and craft markets. I highly recommend this program.

There are a few things that could be included in the preliminary orientation (eg a brief language lesson, a more thorough safety overview for non-medical volunteers - which I shared with the organization).

Fulfilling and Fun Experience

From the minute I landed to the minute I left the country GDR provided a great experience. The program has a good balance of work and fun. On clinic days we worked from 7 or 8 am until 3 or 4 pm. And we worked hard! But we had off days to enjoy the local culture and could participate in organized tours and activities if we wanted. The goal of the program is to help with the dental needs of Cambodian children, but the secondary result is that participants learn about the culture and people of a great country. The program is designed to allow independent time as well - not every minute was planned and I appreciated that.

I would recommend the program to young and old participants.

The program was pretty close to perfect!

Angkor Wat

I've wanted to see Angkor Wat since I was 7 or 8. Working in Siem Reap was a way to diminish my carbon footprint. I'm used to dry, cool air and the heat and humidity could have been a problem but fans were never in short supply and our rooms at night had ac. The group one is assigned to will begin to feel like family as you work and explore together. But it feels perfectly comfortable to hire a driver and a guide to explore more of Angkor Wat on one's own or to wander thru the markets at will. It is a beautiful place to be on any terms.

About Global Dental Relief

Global Dental Relief’s mission is to bring quality dental care and hygiene education to underprivileged children across the world. Utilizing our pioneering model of care, dental professionals in collaboration with non-medically trained volunteers...