GVI: Volunteer in Cambodia

Participate in ethical volunteering projects to support sustainable development in a variety of focus areas, such as; community, health, youth, and women’s empowerment. GVI measures its impact against the 17 UN Sustainable Development Goals, and sets short, mid, and long-term objectives for each program.

Visit some of Cambodia’s most affluently built golden temples in Phnom Penh, or wonder at the age-old temple complex of Angkor Wat with a history spanning over 900 years. This is an opportunity to live and work among local communities, and learn about the culture and heritage. You could join traditional cooking classes in your spare time with local community leaders, or travel across the Mekong River with fellow volunteers from around the world. This is an immersive and ethical volunteer experience that works through collaboration, respect, and empowerment.

• Volunteer ethically to support the UN Sustainable Development Goals of a project.
  • Travel to one of Cambodia’s most monumental UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Angkor Wat.
  • Improve your practical skills through teaching, healthcare workshops, environmental awareness classes, economic empowerment initiatives, and youth development.
  • Meet people from around the world, while also better understanding the culture of the local community.
  • Become a global citizen as you expand your awareness on leading global issues, and actively engage in different cultural practices.

GVI has a Community Development Internship in Thailand!

This is an opportunity to learn more about Chiang Mai's local Karen hill tribe culture, gaining intercultural communication skills and valuable teaching experience.

Xander

GVI HAS DONE IT AGAIN!!!

This is my 2nd time voluenteering with GVI, and both times they have been absolutely eye opening expierences. Not only giving me the resources and tools to teach and lead a classroom but also allowing me to immerse myself into the culture of these wonderful places. With wonderful staff who will provide you with thorough training so you always feel like prepared for any task they put in front of you. But they are not hovering over you they allow you to plan your lessons and lead class without being overbearing, but do not fret someone is always near by if you ever find yourself needing assistance. At the time i was the only non-staff volunteer which can be daunting, but the amazing staff helped lighten the load. Twice now GVI has astounded me and I'm sure they will continue to, because I hope on working with them in the future.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Spiders yummy 😋. can't recommend them enough. Just have to get over the fact that they are creepy crawlies.
Harriet

An amazing 6 weeks!

I did a 6 week short term development internship where I taught English to monks and local children. It was an amazing experience and I highly recommend it to anyone! In between lessons I did lesson planning and research for my project. The Kampong Cham hub is really friendly and welcoming. On the weekends we had opportunity to explore the country, I visited Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Kampot. In between lessons there is time to walk about and get to see Kampong Cham, the base is situated by the Mekong River which is a really nice view, especially at sunsets. Teaching everyday was a real highlight, it really improved my confidence in leading a class and improved my organisational skills by preparing lessons before hand. I gained a lot of valuable skills during the 6 weeks of my Internship.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would bring more resources to the base e.g pens, pencils, colours
Jessica

Teaching English in Cambodia!

Teaching English in Cambodia was undoubtedly a life-changing experience. While empowering the community and working towards sustainable development, I also felt empowered and experienced a tremendous amount of growth! All of my fears of being unqualified for teaching, having no prior experience, were quickly dismantled. The training we received and materials and outlines given for lesson planning made it so much easier than I anticipated! I had such an amazing time teaching in the classrooms and engaging with the children in fun, educational ways!
Apart from the volunteer work, I met the most incredible people that will end up being life-long friends (we're already planning a reunion!). Not to mention, Cambodia is a beautiful country full of rich culture, colors, and nature. I would definitely recommend GVI and this location/program for anyone looking to volunteer (ethically) abroad!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I ate all kinds of exotic and funky looking fruits while here!
Martyna

Teaching English in Cambodia

It was amazing experience and the best travel that I ever have!
People in Cambodia are super nice and friendly. Stuff from GVI and others volunteers made me feel like home. Teaching younger kids English was amazing experience but also it was a lot of fun!
Teaching monks was actually the best, but it's hard to describe the feeling you have when you're doing it, but it's more then marvelousness.
Food here is really delicious, but you need to get used to it.
Cambodia is a beautiful country with a lot of beautiful places to visit. For these who are looking for a place to go and just look around i would definitely recommend Siem Reap- Angkor Wat which is old temple. We went there when the sun was coming up and the view was breathtaking.
I wish I could stay longer and made more beautiful memories and also can't wait to come back!

2 weeks was not enough! When you finally get used to the food, people and different culture you need to go back. Cambodia is a beautiful country where there are many amazing places to go and visit.
Camilla

Above and beyond

Teaching or being a teacher was never on the cards. It’s not me I would say. But wow what an experience it was. I feel in love with teaching- loved being with the kids. Not only was I a teacher, I was taught so much too. From Cambodia’s culture, speaking Khmer to personal confidence growth and open mindedness.

Overall, my expectations of this experience in Cambodia went above and beyond. From the amazing culture, most genuine locals, and grateful children to the best team and staff who were all just brilliant. I was lucky to experience so many things I would never have seen myself do or have the opportunity to do. This experience will be one that I will treasure forever and has provided me with confidence, passion and an open mind which are all skills I will use in my future endeavours. Thanks GVI Cambodia. 10/10 highly recommend.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I would be lying if I said I was completely comfortable with teaching. I am not a teacher and not someone who likes public speaking BUT after the first day with the best assistance and support from the staff I taught my first class. Each day I was excited to wake up and teach as the children were so grateful, kind and adorable. I feel this experience has made me conquer my fear of public speaking which I will forever be thankful for.
Recess from teaching in the Mekong cafe
Liz

An enriching experience

Overall I had the most amazing cultural experience as part of my GVI volunteer trip to Kampong Cham, Cambodia which can only be achieved through living and working in the country. I felt very supported by GVI and received TEFL training and mentorship for teaching. As a volunteer I was privileged to teach English to monks in a Pagoda and facilitated discussions on women's health with students and staff at a University. Whilst volunteering I valued the mutual respect and benefit from working with such a warm and gentle community. I gained direct experience of GVI following the UN SDGs framework which made volunteering feel really worthwhile. Volunteering was also a great opportunity for travelling and my highlights included trips to local temples, Phnom penh, Angkor wat and Hanchey. Overall, volunteering with GVI in Cambodia has been a personally enriching which is giving my life perspective. I would highly recommend volunteering with GVI to everyone!

Ryan

GVI: Volunteer in Cambodia

I volunteered with GVI in Kampong Cham, Cambodia and absolutely loved every second. From the minute I arrived in Phnom Penh, I felt welcome by the staff and quickly made friendships with volunteers. The staff at Moon River Guesthouse treat you like longtime friends and help you with every need you could ever have. I even attended one of their weddings! I had a blast in Cambodia and am so thankful for the stability and resources GVI gave me. If I were to come on my own, I would not have had as great of an experience. When I signed up to come, I had initially just thought I would come to help make other's lives easier and did not consider the impact that it would have on me. My three weeks flew by and I can't wait to come back. I would recommend GVI to anyone and hope to bring my family and friends with me on my next GVI adventure!

Go and see as much as you can when you aren't on project! There are loads of temples, a bamboo bridge, a sunflower field, and villages just in Kampong Cham. Angkor Wat, the Vietnam border, and Phnom Penh are nearby as well. Don't waste a second!
Jacob

From Unknown to Home

As a first time volunteer I was completely blown away by the work and passion present here in Kampong Cham. I came in as one of the 2 first Health volunteers and was not entirely sure what I would do day to day. The program included working with children to meet and understand basic health needs such as brushing teeth. This was one of the most satisfying work I have ever done as most children here have clearly never brushed their teeth before. Providing the opportunity to teach and help the rural Cambodian people have a sustainable and educated view on health topics was amazing.

I even got to teach English to children and adults, which I was entirely unprepared for but ended up being one of my most favorite experiences here. Everyone was so excited about learning and clearly enjoyed us being there and helping them. The staff gave us quick lessons in how to teach and gladly answered all of my many questions. I also feel like I made a real difference in the community as I saw the children actually improve their English with the progression of the course.

Adaptability is definitely required as plans would change almost every single days from weddings to surprise festivals. As a volunteer I got to experience Cambodia's culture in a way that I never could as a tourist. There was also plenty of extra time to go sight seeing to beautiful and historical places like Angkot Wat. The group here feels like family even though I have only been here on a short 2 week trip and I highly look foreward to working again with GVI in the future!

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
I loved every single opportunity to try out many unfamiliar foods. I ate anything from sticky rice with beans in bamboo to fried scorpions, spiders, and snakes on sticks (which were surprisingly tasty!). The entire culture is so different and it is seen in the food. I would higly recommend Beef Lok Lak and Khmer Curry which had such an amazing and rich flavor.
Kayli

Forever Impacted

I’m just about to finish volunteering for GVI Cambodia and what an amazing experience it has been. It felt like a true family from the start. From the moment you get picked up from the airport, to the last moments you get dropped off, you feel absolutely comforted. Everyone from the GVI staff and the guest house are truly the most wonderful people, so there wasn’t a single moment I didn’t feel at home. You’ll create lifelong friendships and memories you will cherish forever all while making a positive impact on the local community! I ended up loving this organization so much I applied for GVI jobs all over the world! If you’re thinking about coming to GVI Cambodia, I 1000% recommend! The only thing I regretted was not extending and staying for longer!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would definitely stay for longer! Six weeks wasn’t enough!
Freya

GVI Cambodia

I volunteered with GVI Cambodia for two months. Throughout my time here I feel I have developed skills that I can carry with my into te future. There is never a dull moment on base, with field staff always on hand to provide assistance and guidance. The staff are very friendly and approachable and work hard to ensure you have the best time possible. On project, I have a great time teaching English to members of the community and also carrying out a community development internship. I have found this very beneficial and will never forget the amazing memories I have created in this incredible place. I recommend GVI highly as during the application process I felt supported and was well informed about my project and what I will be doing here. GVI Cambodia is still a new hub and it's so exciting to see it developing and growing by the week. Working with local partners and educating members of the community enables you to really become immersed in the Cambodian culture and get to know the people you are working with.

Fransiska

Life in Kampong Cham

My name is Myrna, I am 20 years old, I am from Indonesia, I study at Industrial Engineering at Universitas Katolik Indonesia Atma Jaya Jakarta. The program that I live here with GVI is research, program development, and some training.

I started to be interested in volunteering since junior high school because I felt when we could still help why not. I joined this activity with Gvi because I and my friends won the PIPE SDG competition in Indonesia. During this volunteer I became more grateful, more open to his thoughts and got very much new knowledge

From GVI I learned happily that it could not only be achieved through just walking but also by helping people.The training that has been received so far is very interesting, especially the activity of activating what we learn after the training is finished, making it easier for us to better understand it. All of you should try to do activities with GVI because all the activities are interesting and fun.

I feel very happy and very interested in all the activities here. I feel very happy because I got a lot of new experiences. The part that I like most during this activity is the activity of meeting children in the cheung kok area. During this activity I learned to be grateful for my life and learned to patiently run everything. During this activity I felt safe and always got support from staff and friends. From this activity also changed my mindset so that it became more open and could be an added value when I wanted to do the next activity.

Budi

Volunteering in Cambodia

We are acquainted with GVI, an international NGO that focuses on improving education at the location of their programs in 20 countries, one of them in Cambodia. We also got the first training to teach English. I also learned about Global Development with lilies, development strategies and several theories related to Global Development. After that, we got training to create NGOs that will be implemented in Kampong Champ based on issues that exist in the village of Cham.

The NGO I made is Super 2030 focusing on young people and children. The aim is to build awareness and concern for young people to contribute to the achievement of the SDGs and provide SDGs values to children. So that young people here are ready to contribute to the achievement of the SDGs development goals.

After that we also got the task to make programs related to traffic issues in Cambodia. Before developing the program, Diamond and I conducted a small research on this issue. we interviewed some Cambodian residents regarding the transportation system here. The result is that the average Cambodian does not like to use a helmet, there are no specific rules for riding a motorcycle, such as SIM cards and others and on average in the family each family member gets a motorcycle. Through the results of this survey we created a program that is a happy traffic campaign with #Helmetismystyle.

We also visited one of the NGOs in Kampong Champ, BSDA. There we learned a lot about their programs, program development strategies and problem analysis and risk management in running programs. Many program developments are carried out by BSDA, starting from the education, economic and community empowerment sectors.

We also conducted research related to the importance of learning English, caring for health and empowering women to the community of champ champ. We

got 17 respondents, from them we came to the conclusion that most Cambodian people said it was important to learn English in the tourism sector, and also women's empowerment was also very important. Now we are working on a program for the results of the research that we have done

Intan

My Experience Volunteering at GVI Cambodia

I am very enthusiastic to volunteer overseas because I want to learn how to volunteer activities in other countries. The things I want to learn are education and culture in Cambodia. I learned how GVI contributes in the education sector by teaching children.

For me volunteering is very fun, not only adding new experiences but also adding new friends. Of course when we make new friends, we also get new stories like where they come from, their culture, etc.

During my training at GVI, I learned about many things. Starting from international development, Cambodian culture, Khmer language, healthcare situation in Cambodia, environment, tourism, education, making presentations, conducting surveys with Cambodians, developing ideas for making a program, visiting OBT, BSDA, ChungKock until we learn to write blog. The experience given by GVI made me learn to continue to improve myself, to continue to learn and do useful things. I am also happy to be able to give advice on the development of tourism here and of course all the learning that I get will be developed in my organization.

Every day has their favorite parts, all of which are very good moments for me. I like to do surveys because I can talk to Cambodians. I also like when I visit OBT, BSDA and ChungKock, because I learn how these organizations manage their programs. I also like to do assignments from Lili and Avi, because I feel like a student.

Yogi

The training

it was an amazing experience. an amazing training. The presentation, the material, the deliverd, are so nice. I will apply it in to my social project in Indonesia.
The most favourite presentation for me was about International Development, i learnt about what the different about a big country and a small country. Why the other country has a develop, and why the other's dont.
And we also do some surveys to the community, we were looking an information about how is important English for them, how is important Healtcare for them, and also how important Women Empowerement to them.
And after the surveys, we managed the data, and according to the data, we make some programs who can be implemented in Kampong Cham to solve thes problems.

We do training everyday, but its not be bored. Because after you finished one training, you'll be curious about what would happend tomorrow. It such an amazing experiences.

What was your funniest moment?
When we had a quiz in our last night. it was so fun and memorable
Agung

My Experience in Cambodia

I joined volunteering in Kampong Cham, Cambodia with GVI. I started looking for volunteering opportunity abroad because I love joining volunteering activities in Indonesia and I want to learn how social project run in other countries. And joining volunteering in Cambodia has been very exciting and inspiring. The staffs were very kind and friendly and they gave various interesting training from TEFL, khmer lesson, international development, etc. These training super interesting and encouraging.
Beside joining several training, I also visited several fascinating local tourism spot in Cambodia. But, my favourite part of volunteering in Cambodia was visiting several local NGO and teaching monks. Here I learned how a NGO develop and implement their project and helping the local community despite many challenge. I also learned how a local NGO can survive by running social entrepreneurship project.
Despite my short period of volunteering in Cambodia with GVI, the experience I get has improved not only my knowledge and my soft skills but also my cultural sensitivity. These experiences will be very important for me in the future.
I would recommend people who want to make a change to start volunteering. Dare to be a volunteer, dare to change the world!

Location:
88 F / 72 F
Airports:
Phnom Penh International Airport
( PNH )

Cambodia in general is considered an untouched gem for travel. Even though Phnom Penh is the capital and largest city of Cambodia, it is still a bit rough around the edges but has the infrastructure to sustain more travel. While traveling here, make sure to venture outside of the monuments that document the cities troubled past and take in the vibrant and friendly nature.

About GVI

Founded in 1998, GVI runs programs in various countries around the world, each manned by our own staff and aligned to the 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (UN SDGs), as well as the objectives of local partners. We welcome participants...