Most Affordable & Trusted Volunteer Programs in Cambodia from $360

Cambodians in the Kratie Province celebrating Eid
Cambodians in the Kratie Province celebrating Eid
Angkor Wat around 6am
Angkor Wat around 6am
This little light of mine.
Only 4 out of our 30 kids who stole my heart.
Who needs a snapchat filter when you have this little princess who makes you real flower crowns.
Sean (another IVHQ volunteer) and I with 5 of our gorgeous students

Trusted by 90,000+ volunteers, IVHQ offers the most popular volunteer programs in Cambodia and 40+ other destinations around the world.

You can choose from 7 volunteer project options in Cambodia and give back for periods ranging from 2weeks to 24 weeks. Your Program Fee includes airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support. You’ll be accommodated in a volunteer house or homestay with other like-minded, impact-focused travelers from around the world.

IVHQ is trusted to support the meaningful adventures of thousands of volunteers every year, so before you even depart for Cambodia, you’ll receive outstanding personalized service from your expert Volunteer Program Manager and exclusive access to superior pre-departure volunteer training.

With IVHQ, you can expect to establish real connections within the local community while supporting projects that make a genuine difference.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Cambodia:

• Teaching English
  • Childcare
  • NGO Support
  • Computer Support
  • Special Needs Care
  • IVHQ’s Cambodia program is available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday of every month
  • Highly affordable program fees starting from $360 for 2 weeks - IVHQ provides the most affordable and top-rated programs
  • You’ll be joining between 10-50 other IVHQ volunteers who start in Cambodia each month
  • You’ll be traveling with IVHQ, the volunteer travel experts, and joining a network of 90,000+ volunteers. Our outstanding safety systems and track record set us apart, we are the world’s safest organization
  • Your efforts will have a positive impact because our programs are community-driven with a focus on supporting long-term local needs

No not at all :) - the only language requirement for all of the IVHQ programs is being able to speak English. But in saying that, it is great to learn bits and pieces if you can, I really struggled but it didn't inhibit my trip and everyone was grateful if you tried and extremely helpful :)

Samantha

Cambodia has everything you could ask for in a volunteer destination

Cambodia has everything you could ask for in a volunteer destination – great people, unique culture and awesome adventures! There is also a strong demand for people to help address the deep-rooted socio-economic issues facing Cambodia today. That is exactly where volunteers step in!

Volunteer programs are numerous and diverse, satisfying any skill set you have to offer or are looking to develop. I volunteered on a 6-month placement, volunteering with a development NGO in Phnom Penh. And guess what? They offered me a job and now I live here!

Whilst I loved (and still love) my placement, I greatly value the camaraderie within the volunteer house, offering support after a challenging day and encouragement exploring the street food scene! Grilled frog skewers anyone? If you plan to stay longer than a few weeks there is also a small but strong expat community. And plenty of delightful coffee shops when you’re looking for some quiet time (and air-conditioning!).

Opportunities for weekend trips are abundant, satisfying any and all travel experiences you could ask for! Whilst the tourism industry throughout the country is still largely in its infancy (outside of Siem Reap), locals are always very generous with their efforts to help – and knowing a little Khmer goes a long way! As does taking the time to learn and practice the social and cultural customs. Quick trips to neighboring Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos are also very do-able. Some journeys can take longer than expected but I have never felt unsafe, despite what I may have heard and read prior to departure.

I appreciate the opportunity of living abroad, even with all its ups and downs. Cambodia forces you to reevaluate your priorities and experience gratitude in profound ways. Especially when the power goes out!

I recommend volunteering in Cambodia and the team at IVHQ :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Samantha! Wow! Thanks so much for the thoughtful review. With a move to Cambodia - this experience really has been life changing! It's great to have your recommendation and we would love to have you join us on another trip soon! ^Meika - IVHQ Cambodia Program Manager

Read my full story
Mariana

Childcare in Cambodia

During July of 2019 I was in Cambodia volunteering with disadvantaged children for 2 weeks. It is almost impossible to find words to describe this experience. I had the pleasure of meeting a group of 20 children that marked my life forever. These children don’t have anything but it looks like they have everything because they always carry the biggest smile. It is impossible to be sad around them and it really makes you appreciate what you have. We did not speak the same language but it was not a barrier. I think I can say we spoke the language of love.
I could not be happier to have chosen IVHQ for this experience. The support they gave us was amazing before and during the trip. And they gave me the opportunity to meet other volunteer that now are my friends and that I will keep forever in my heart. I could not be more grateful for this experience! If you have the opportunity please do it!!!

Don’t be afraid!! Cambodia is probably totally different from what you’re used to! I was really overwhelmed when I got there because everything was different. But honestly that was the best part! Have an open mind and don’t be afraid to try something new
Joelle

A change of mind!

I really loved my exprience with IVHQ in Cambodia working with kids!
The staff members of the organisation was very welcoming of new volunteers and were always ready to help prepare arrangements for trips, help understand the language, or juste answer your questions.
The kids at my placement were also full with joy and would always try to make you laugh as they would show you silly games they created! They are full of creativity and are always open for new games! They love new people and are always super excited to recieve more love and cuddles from you!
Don<t be shy to ask questions about the culture and to visit as much as you can. The markets and the temples really give an amazing idea of what Cambodia is! If you need any help deciding what to visit, the staff would alwayd be happy to recommend you some amazing places!
I really hope you enjoy your trip!
Joelle

I would suggest to arrive there with an open mind and to expect a totally different reality. Most of the children and locals have some sad stories that may shock you, but for them it is what life is like, so try to put your usual ideas aside and understand what they went through. Once youve done it, you would be able to get a better understanding of what cambodian culture is like.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Joelle, thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are privileged to have been part of your journey! We thank you for your time and contribution during your time in Cambodia! We can't wait to be part of your next adventure! :) Will - IVHQ Program Manager

Megan

Childcare program Cambodia

I volunteered with IVHQ on the childcare program in Cambodia. I had the most amazing experience. The program was great and it allowed you to properly experience Cambodian culture. I met so many amazing people and made some really good friends. I learnt so much from the children and miss them already. I would recommend to anyone. The accommodation was big and clean and it felt very secure as they had a security guard who was outside most of the time. The weekends were really fun as some of the volunteers would choose a place to go so we were able to see a lot of Cambodia. The team there were supportive and you could get hold of them to ask a question most of the time. The country itself is beautiful with the friendliest people I have ever met.

Keep an open mind and you will learn so much from the people and the environment around you. Have fun and be open to meeting lots of different people.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks so much for your review Megan! We're glad that we were able to find the perfect placement for you and that you enjoyed your time volunteering abroad in Cambodia! We hope to have you join us again soon. Will - IVHQ Program Manager.

Marcus

IVHQ Cambodia

My time on IVHQ was amazing. Everything from the people I met to the food that was provided was all perfect. IVHQ ensures that you are kept safe whilst also giving you the freedom to explore whatever country you may be in. The special needs child care program that I took part in was very rewarding and I encourage anybody to go on one. Playing with the children each day and seeing how much happiness and joy I was able to bring to those kids was truly one of the most unforgettable moments of my life. The friendships that I have made from this trip will last a lifetime. Some of the other volunteers and I went on a trip to Siem Reap on the weekend and that was a great way to see other parts of the country. IVHQ organized everything from contacting the placement to let them them know that you are coming and also ensuring that you get there safely (ie taxi, bus). I thoroughly enjoyed my time on IVHQ and it is definitely an experience I will never forget!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Marcus, it is awesome to hear from you and that you had such an amazing time on the IVHQ Cambodia Program! We are pleased to hear that you felt safe as that is our number 1 priority with volunteers also that you found the experience very rewarding. Thanks for volunteering with us!! Brigitte - IVHQ Program Manager.

Kinsey

Cambodia

My name is Kinsey, I am from Florida in the U.S. I have always wanted to travel so when I was off of school for a semester I decided it was the perfect time to do so. When I discovered IVHQ I thought it would be perfect for me because of the affordability and all the locations they have available to volunteer. The time i spent in Cambodia at a childcare placement was definitely a life changing experience for me. All of the other volunteers were amazing and all of the people working at my placement were incredible. This program really immerses you in the culture and really helps you get an idea of what it is like to live in Cambodia. I made so many lifelong friends and learned so much about the Cambodian culture. Cambodia will forever be in my heart.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hey Kinsey, thank you for your feedback! It's awesome to hear how much you enjoyed Cambodia and spending time with the other volunteers. I'm sure the work you did at you placement was much appreciated by the staff. Thanks again for volunteering with IVHQ. Kinsey - IVHQ Program Manager.

Oliver

Volunteering in Cambodia

Volunteering with IVHQ in Phnom Penh, Cambodia was a life changing experience for sure!
Considering it was my first time in Asia, the first evening was a little overwhelming. The humidity, the Tuk-Tuk’s, barking dogs, bad roads was all something I was not used to before. Right away the local coordinator took care of me and explained a lot of important things right on the ride to my accommodation. After the first night Cambodia soon began to feel like a second home though. The accommodation was good for third world standards and the local hosts very friendly. The second day all the volunteers had a meeting with information and a Khmer crash course, local food was provided. We then went on to explore the city and get to know each other. The orientation day ended with a nice dinner. After that we didn’t have too much to do with the local IVHQ staff. They were always there if we needed support though.
The food at the placement was good but gets a little old after a few weeks.
After the first day we were working at our placements, I was working with a local NGO which met all my expectations. I felt like I was helping them (I taught english and helped with reports) and I felt appreciated. There was not always enough work which is to be expected though, even the staff was not working all the time. You should not expect western business discipline.
All in all I learned a lot, about third world countries and the problems in Phnom Penh. I had a really good time in Phnom Penh and felt like I could contribute something.
I can recommend IVHQ.

Different Food, fair prices for recommending Tuk-Tuk's.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review of our Cambodia Program. It sounds like you had a fantastic time and it's awesome to hear you felt appreciated at your placement. We'd love to see you volunteer with us again in the future. Samuel - IVHQ Program Manager.

Morgan

IVHQ Support

Volunteering with IVHQ in Cambodia and Zambia were the two best experiences of my life. As a solo traveling female I always take my safety extremely serious, and is the main reason I continue to volunteer with Ivhq. They always alleviate any nerves I have about the area I will be in, the airport pickup, as well as safe living accommodation with 24 hour security. I have done two programs with them and the communication between coordinators and myself is always outstanding. I am paired with a specific coordinator depending on my location, and they specialize in the knowledge to answer any crazy specific questions you might have before leaving, or even when you’re there. I never feel alone even though it’s what I’m actually doing. Volunteering in Cambodia, I worked with the special needs program. I could really see my benefit to being there, as they were low on staff with lots of work to be done. In Zambia, I was placed at a primary school, where I taught English and Math. I felt as though my efforts were very valued by my placements and I can’t wait to go back to both. Being a volunteer vs a tourist is so enlightening and really makes you dive right into the culture, while building actual relationships with the community instead of just sight seeing. I feel as though IVHQ is the best agency due to how much effort they put into the local placements they choose to work with and the local staff they employ. Everyone is great and I will continue to use IVHQ as an agency for more countries I choose to visit, as well as for when I return back to my previous placements.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Thanks for spending the time to write a review for our programs in Cambodia and Zambia, it sounds like you had a fantastic time in each location. It's awesome to hear that you could see the difference you were making in the communities you were working in and I'm sure your help was very much appreciated by the local team, placement staff and children. ^Sam - IVHQ Program Manager

Rhianan

CAMBODIA 2018

Amazing experience! Taught english in Phnom Penh for 2 months at Happy School and had the most amazing and life changing experience. The volunteer house was so cool, had a rooftop. Served yum food every day, amazing staff at the house who helped with everything - including visas to other countries. IVHQ and CVF are both awesome organisations and I will be volunteering again with IVHQ because of how reliable, affordable and easy the whole experience was with them - staff always reply to emails and you don't feel hesitant to approach your program manager and ask questions about your trip etc. Highly recommend IVHQ if you're wanting to volunteer abroad. Also numbers to call for free etc so you never feel shut out or scared about anything! My placement was perfect, couldn't have been happier. Surrounded by the most hardworking, kind and passionate kids every day and teaching them english was amazing. THANK YOU IVHQ!

Honestly can't think of anything that needs to be improved - everything exceeded my expectations and I had such an amazing trip. Everything from the in cambodia support to the ivhq website is spot on, I am very pleased :)
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Rhianan, thank you very much for your review. It's awesome to hear you enjoyed your program and felt supported by us and the local team during your time volunteering. The work that you did during your time in Cambodia is much appreciated by your placement staff and the local community. ^Sam - IVHQ Cambodia Program Manager

Adelaide

Could not recommend more highly

I had the most wonderful experience with Bravehearts in Cambodia. The staff could not have been more welcoming or friendly. Everyone working at the orphanage was incredibly dedicated and it was obvious how much they loved the children. It was an incredibly experience.
The staff at Bravehearts took the safety of their volunteers seriously and were vigilant in that regard. I could not be more impressed with how incredibly organised, kind and caring they were.

The accomodation was nothing flash, but that is what you expect when volunteering, and adds to the charm of the experience.

In having this experience, I have fallen in love with Cambodia, its people, culture and my work there. I have every intention of coming back for a much longer stay.

There are no ways in which this program could be improved.
Thank you for a wonderful experience!
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Adelaide, thanks for your awesome review! It is wonderful to hear about your time in Cambodia and we loved having you on the program.

Shania

English Teaching in Cambodia

For my program I spent four weeks in Siem Reap, Cambodia teaching English at one of the local schools. It was a challenging but definitely worth-while experience. The information provided by the IVHQ staff prior to my arrival was excellent and allowed me to be well-prepared for Cambodian culture and climate. Knowing that somebody was meeting me at the airport gave me the confidence to travel alone. Whilst in Cambodia there was always a staff member available at the Volunteer House who was extremely helpful with both placement concerns and weekend plans. I was very happy with the quality of the accommodation, which was clean and comfortable, and the food was great. There was a wide variety of food available everyday and there was always more than enough for everyone. During my four week placement at the school I was able to watch the students learn and improve every single day. Transport was also very easy to organise and drivers were always on time for pick-ups. I used the same driver everyday and was comfortable enough to make several trips by myself. Being only 18, my parents and I are very happy with how smoothly the experience went and I will definitely be recommending IVHQ.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shania, It has been a pleasure to have you volunteer with us! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your placement, the food, the accommodation, and felt well supported and secure while on your program in Cambodia! Thanks for recommending IVHQ and for being a great volunteer!

Amelia

Teaching English in Cambodia

I volunteered in Cambodia for two weeks teaching English at a school in Siem Reap. I hadn't had any practice as a teacher so I was slightly nervous but the IVHQ team provided information on the orientation day to help with any questions and concerns we might of had. When we arrived at our school we were given our timetable and some reading material to help us with ideas for teaching the children and what was expected of us. I was given three classes a day, I had to write lesson plans for two of them and the third I just acted as an assistant. The classes original teachers are usually in the room to assist with translation but you can be left solely on your own so I would definitely recommend having some basic learning games and activities before you start so you're not caught off guard. I was thrown into the deep end as two out of three of the classes teachers handed me the textbook on the first day and then went and sat down, although daunting at first I realised this was the best way to get the most out of my two weeks as I now had full responsibility to teach the kids. Having a textbook as a guideline was very helpful but once you get to know the children you become more aware of their abilities. I then tailored my lessons so I was helping them build on what they already knew.

Two weeks didn't really seem long another to make a massive difference however I did see the children improve in my classes and this made all the slightly stressful times worth it. I wish I had planned to stay for another couple of weeks as although exhausted I wasn't ready to leave after two weeks. It was such a rewarding experience and I would highly recommend it to everyone I really stepped out of my comfort zone and was able to give back to an amazing school.

More information about your individual school beforeyou turn up to the orientation day would have been very useful.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Amelia, Thanks for sharing! It sounds like you did an incredible job at your teaching placement and we are so glad to hear that you were able to have a rewarding experience by stepping out of your comfort zone. We would love to have you join us again in the future.

Soohie

An incredible experience

I was teaching English in Siem Reap in Cambodia for two weeks this summer. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I really saw huge improvements in all three of my classes and they were so eager to learn. My placement was a huge learning curve for me as I was put out of my comfort and learnt a lot about myself. I felt like I was making a big and positive impact on the school I was placed in and was definitely a hugely worthwhile experience. I really felt like I became part of the community during my stay in Siem reap, at the school and the volunteer house, and I wish I could have stayed longer. Definitely apply for this programme, it's so worthwhile!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Soohie, Thanks for your great review! We are thrilled to hear that you had a worthwhile experience through teaching and stepping outside of your comfort zone in Cambodia. It would have been wonderful to have had you stay longer and hopefully you will join us again one day! We wish you all the best.

Tianna

Self Orienting in the Orient: Cambodia

As part of a school program I set off for 6 weeks in Cambodia to volunteer with local NGOs over my summer break. IVHQ enabled me to do this by providing knowledgeable resources and prioritizing safety at an affordable price. I stayed in Phnom Penh, a fast growing city in the heart of Cambodia with an authentic feel and modern Western luxuries like a movie theatre and mall. The National Museum and Royal Palace are a must see while in town! I lived in a home-stay with a fantastic family and plenty of other volunteers from all over the world- kind of like a homestay/hostel mix with plenty of people but a homey feel. My NGO placement allowed me to help employees with their English skills through daily conversation and create several presentations for local volunteer training on project development and application. Outside of these immediate impacts, I was also able to help develop applications for three external grants including one for encouraging indigenous political involvement and governmental accountability and one for USAID water sanitation and safe hygiene practices. While I thoroughly enjoyed the work I had, it could be sporadic and I only wish I had more of it to do, but I understand I was placed at a new and growing NGO. My director and the other NGOs employees were a joy to work with, and encouraged me to leave early on Fridays for any weekend excursions I had planned. Having weekends off made for ample travel time with other volunteers (and solo trips) to incredible places like the temples of Angkor Wat in Siem Reap, an Irrawaddy river dolphin seeing trip in the Kratie province, incredible ice cream in rainy French-colonial Kampot, and even a weekend in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. However, my favorite weekend by far was a solo excursion I took out to Koh Rong Samloem, a magical small island off the coast where the seas light up with bioluminescent phytoplankton at night. I had the opportunity to travel in ways (tuk-tuks) and places I had never experienced before, I got to meet people from all different places and walks of life and make some friends I have continued to keep in touch with. Thanks to IVHQ even my broke student lifestyle was able to take me far beyond my own city, growing, challenging, and rewarding me in ways I could never have imagined.

Having more work to do would have improved my specific NGO, but I feel this is not a problem every NGO volunteer had.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Tianna, Thanks for sharing this awesome review from your time in Cambodia. We are so glad to hear that you lived with a fantastic family, explored Cambodia comprehensively in your spare time, and enjoyed working at your NGO placement. Thank you for your feedback and for being an excellent volunteer, we would love to have you join us again in the future!
Sarah – IVHQ Cambodia Program Manager

Shuqi

Do it!

Pretty solid program. Great kids, great volunteers, great place. You'll have a lotta fun just like volunteering anywhere else.
I did two weeks of volunteering, which is a time period that has its advantage and disadvantage. I started feeling sick and couldn't eat by the beginning of the second week, but also new people come after 2 weeks, you start going away for the weekend and really settle in at the school.

I was teaching on my own for the young kids' classes, which I think should be taught by the local teachers and assisted by volunteers for pronunciation, etc. As a non-native speaker, I know the pain when you don't understand a word the foreign teacher's saying. I was basically sitting around in the higher level class, but I think volunteers could teach that class since they are more advanced and could understand you(the teacher for higher level classes treats the job seriously though so I guess letting the volunteers take away her job isn't right either). I don't have a solution to the problem, simply pointing it out. However, I guess every little bit of the correct pronunciations and exposure to English(learning by immersing in an English speaking environment works great for little kids) helps.
Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Shuqi, It is excellent to hear that you had a lot of fun on the program in Cambodia! We are sorry to hear that you started feeling sick during your second week on the program, it is never easy to be sick while in a foreign country. Thanks for your feedback and for being a great IVHQer!
Sarah – IVHQ Cambodia Program Manager

About International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

IVHQ is the world’s most trusted and affordable volunteer abroad organization, offering the largest range of safe and impactful volunteer programs in 50+ destinations. Over 100,000 travelers have volunteered abroad with IVHQ over the past 12 years,...