• Cambodia

Program Details

Pricing

The cost for 3 months is £750 ($1237). The cost includes:
- Rental for accomodation for 3 months
- All meals (except on school holidays)
- House maintenance
- Training and orientation
- An organised 1 week trip
- If you choose to live and eat independently then the cost will be £170 ($264) deposit/application fee

Apr 14, 2016
Oct 31, 2019
0 travelers are looking at this program

This is an opportunity to immerse yourself in the rich cultural diversity of Cambodia, whilst also teaching English to students in Phnom Penh.

The aim of this project is to raise funds to support a local Cambodian NGO working towards improving the situation for the rural poor in Cambodia. The students who wish to learn English pay a small affordable fee which is then channelled to the NGO.

A typical day would be teaching for up to 5 hours per day, as well as preparing classes. As a volunteer you can take 1 hour classes each day; Monday - Friday for 10 weeks. You can also take one-to-one classes.

All of the students have a basic understanding of the English language but lack the practice in speaking and listening with foreigners. The students are typically aged 13-40 and are usually already in school or university education.

In your spare time from your teaching activities, you can also help out at orphanages which is worthwhile and rewarding.

Jonathan

Teaching in Cambodia

During my two weeks in that project, I was asked to teach some english lessons to a class of 3 to 6 years old children. The class was separated into two groups : the oldest and youngest, for which lessons were more comprehensible. I was also asked to take care a play with them at certain time of the day. A few time, I cooked them some meals a washed their teeth. It was a breathtaking experience to contribute to make those children happy. They were most of the time smiling and enjoying our activities. During that time, me and other members of the project brought them many toys and more tooth brushes. For our last day, we had a great party with cakes. It was heartbreaking to leave them at the end, but the souvenirs are still incredible to that day. I would truly appreciate to complete another similar project. I have also great souvenirs of Cambodia, in which I was able to travel. I went for example in Siem Reap during the week-end. I would recommend this experience to anyone.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
On our last day in Cambodia, I ate spiders and grasshooper with some friends. I surprisingly was tasty, even though I did not try twice to eat any other local specialities.