Voluntary Projects Overseas in Cambodia -- CLOSED

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from Voluntary Projects Overseas.

For over 3 years, our school has been working to educate over 300 local children. We focus on teaching English, computing and early learning at our nursery. Volunteers have the opportunity to work alongside our local team teaching English and computing. These skills are vital to help young people and adults find and keep jobs.

In addition to teaching, we want our volunteers to have fun with the kids in the nursery. They can help with arts and crafts, games, songs and playing. Volunteers will also be asked to lead educational games in other general education topics. Lastly, they will assist with serving lunch and making sure the kids teeth are clean.

Volunteers will also have the opportunity to work in construction - either building or repairing homes. No skills are necessary, just a willingness to work hard and get dirty.

Kim

Griffith University ENACTUS Group

We have been volunteering for 6 years with this project and every year it just keeps getting better. A great experience in a great location. Our University students have found this literally a life-changing experience.

We have been taking groups for 6 years and every year the organization asks for feedback and every year the projects keep improving.
Julia

perfect parent with teenager holiday

When I decided to take my 16 year old son on holiday I was determined to make it an adventure. Volunteering in Cambodia was perfect, he helped build a house and I did some teaching. We worked in the mornings and relaxed in the afternoons. With a ready made social group I hardly saw him, but we both have amazing memories. Perfect.
Highly recommended.

Specific times for single parents with teenagers.
Kieran

So good I have returned a number of times!

The best part of this volunteering house building experience is that you can actually the results of your volunteering by the end of your trip. At the beginning there is a bare piece of land or an absolute shack and then one or two weeks later a brand new house!

Interacting with the family receiving the house is also a memory that will live with you and at the beginning sometimes they do not really believe that it is going to happen and then as the house progresses they start believing and the smile on their face gets bigger and bigger.

I have been lucky to be able to return a number of times and have been back to see the impact of previous house builds on families and it really has been a life changing experience for them.

The good thing about this volunteering is that you do not need any experience as you get instruction on everything you do and are encouraged not to do anything that you are no comfortable doing. I have seen people who have never held a hammer or saw on thier hand before become near experts by the end of the first week.

It is a volunteering experience that will stay with you for the rest of your life!

Everything can always be improved and the team on the ground are always open to suggestions.
Tony

Building project December 2014

In my 3 weeks I was involved in four projects (including building a toilet!) but the house we built in under one week was most memorable!
For me, the highlights included: working with and getting to know local people, especially on the day all the villagers turned out in force to help us erect the huge timber frames in a great show of teamwork; seeing and participating in the house blessing ceremony on the last day and seeing the door keys handed over to the family; working alongside, socialising and making friends with fellow volunteers from around e world, sharing some wonderful funny moments alongside the hard work.

The guest house we stayed in, Victory GH, was a great place to stay, the only disappointment being the breakfasts could be improved. For example, cereal would be a nice addition although we did buy some at the supermarket, and better quality eggs (with bacon) would set you up better for a hard days work!

About Voluntary Projects Overseas

Voluntary Projects Overseas works in partnership with local projects and communities around the world. We connect them with great people like you who want to volunteer and make a difference and thus change people’s lives.

Our work focuses on...