Global Citizen - Volunteer Abroad Projects

Romania
Poland
Poland
Cambodia

Our Global Citizen (Volunteer Abroad) program is a practical overseas experience for youth that develops leadership abilities by volunteering in an overseas community development project. The projects typically involve creating and facilitating activities for young people on issues like cultural education, health awareness and environmental sustainability, which allow you to have a direct positive impact on communities while gaining an intense cultural experience.

Participants venture to a foreign country in one of AIESEC’s 124 locations globally to participate in projects created or co-created by AIESEC. Top countries include China, Poland, Brazil, Cambodia and Hungary. What makes our program unique is that at its core, we are focused on developing leadership and enhancing cross-cultural understanding. Volunteers take home the skills, cultural understanding and sense of global citizenship they learn overseas, so they can further touch those in their own community.

SGCF

Student-run organisation

I went to Philippines with AIESEC Australia for 6 weeks. Compared to other volunteering programs this is entirely student run and comparatively low price. The price sometimes is not inclusive of accommodation but that is what you expect from a student-run organisation. To ensure safety it is up to your own will to make sure you have all the travel insurance, and other safety procedures required, which is understandable. The adminstration fee was $700 only to find a project and get into the system. However, for my airfares it was $1000. My accommodation was $220. I spent around $30 on all my travelling and food was around $250 (because I also wanted to try more expensive meals.) I also spent more on other expenses that were not compulsory. So overall, it was relatively cheap.
For a student-run organisation it brings in such a business viewpoint that has successfully shown its success for 50 years in Australia. And over 50 worldwide.

The organisation is definitely changing in they way that needed improving when I was doing their Global Citizen program. Their website was out to date and people had to pay to get access into the types of programs available.
I believe the best thing they should do is get the projects ready and prepare for at least 6 months to ensure the quality.
A lot of the students who volunteer in these committees often get demotivated if they haven't been on these programs themselves. This needs to be addressed somehow to ensure quality.