Co-Teaching Educational Program in Colombia

students and volunteers in Colombia
students and volunteers in Colombia

Working alongside Colombian co-teachers to improve the communicative skills of teachers and students from grades 9-11 in under privileged areas. You will be teaching students for 20 hours in the classroom every week, the institution’s English teachers for 3 hours, host cultural activities for 2 hours, and plan lessons for a projected 15 hours each week in collaboration with co-teachers.

DEVIN

Heart for Change Colombia

Using Greenheart Travel to get me involved with Heart for Change in Colombia was a really great decision. The recruitment efforts for Greenheart were outstanding and I felt very prepared for what was coming my way. Heart for Change is a wonderful program and I think they certainly mean well, but it needs so reorganizing. Obviously having fellows go exactly where they want and with a perfect schedule is out of the question. But the disparate schedules and experiences should be mitigated better. For example, some fellows have 1 co-teacher at 18 hours total a week, and I know others that have 5 co-teachers working more than the 24 hours total a week. There are Regional Coordinators that are either so incredibly bored or overwhelmed. I also think it is ridiculous that fellows are allowed to leave for up to 10 days for things like weddings. It only encourages fellows to lie about something they are "required" to go to and travel for that time. If a fellow wants to teach then he/she needs to make the full commitment. But despite my comments I do think the fellows are doing some good, and I believe Heart for Change certainly provides enough support to fellows to get them on their feet and make them feel comfortable.

Please see comments in Review section

About Heart for Change

Heart for Change, Colombia Volunteer Program is a social enterprise founded by a philanthropic group of Colombians to encourage intercultural exchanges with a service component. Whether volunteering in a local organization, learning Spanish and other...