Machismo culture is thriving throughout much of Cartagena, a UNESCO protected world heritage site and Colombia's prime tourist destination on the Caribbean Coast. In the underserved communities throughout the city, girls are especially prone to sexual tourism or abuse. Young girls may grow up lacking a safe learning environment with positive female role models, seeing or experiencing gender-based violence, and believing that a woman's body is more valuable than her brains.
Domino Volunteers partners with several community-based projects working with at-risk young girls (aged 8-16). There is a focus on health, dance, sports, art, homework, self-confidence, and values-based learning. These groups are catalysts for positive change, and organize many rights awareness events for their families and larger community. If you're interested in gaining social work skills, advocating for girls rights, or learning from dedicated community leaders, then this is the project for you.
- Connect personally with dedicated community organizations in Cartagena to support girls rights and develop impactful girls empowerment workshops.
- Gain Spanish proficiency with the city's best Spanish teachers and a range of class options that best suit your needs and schedule.
- Settle into life in Cartagena easily, thanks to our assistance with all aspects of your trip preparation to Colombia and continued, 24/7 local support throughout your volunteer experience.
- Enjoy Cartagena's diverse range of fun activities with the local community, from movie clubs and zumba classes, to kitesurfing and scuba diving.
- Bask in the vibrant culture and tropical surroundings of Cartagena, a beautiful historic city on the Caribbean coast.
We strive toward positive social impact and mutual benefit for both the volunteers and partnering organizations benefiting from the exchange. We get to know our volunteers and connect them to organizations where their skills are most needed and they will thrive personally. The organizations benefit from much needed physical and intellectual resources and our volunteers grow in empathy and global citizenship. Our connections have a domino effect of positive impact: local organizations have the capacity to reach more people and our volunteers spread new found empathy and global perspectives to their home communities and workplaces.