A very small percentage of Cartagena households and businesses recycle, largely because there is a lack of information, infrastructure and organization in the city to do so. Lack of recycling, littering and poor waste management throughout the city create serious pollution problems — especially noticeable in low-income areas and coastal communities.
We work with local social enterprises and foundations with innovative programs that focus on new technologies, waste management and recycling in communities where there is little being done. These projects may involve doing door to door visits with community members, grant writing and research, working with students at local public schools, or a range of other tasks depending on your skills sets and schedule.
- Connect personally with impactful local organizations leading the way towards innovative, sustainable solutions to Cartagena's current waste management crisis.
- Gain Spanish proficiency with the city's best Spanish teachers and a range of class options that best suit your needs and schedule.
- Settle into life in Cartagena easily, thanks to our assistance with all aspects of your trip preparation to Colombia and continued, 24/7 local support throughout your volunteer experience.
- Enjoy Cartagena's diverse range of fun activities with the local community, from movie clubs and zumba classes, to kitesurfing and scuba diving.
- Bask in the vibrant culture and tropical surroundings of Cartagena, a beautiful historic city on the Caribbean coast.
We strive toward positive social impact and mutual benefit for both the volunteers and partnering organizations benefiting from the exchange. We get to know our volunteers and connect them to organizations where their skills are most needed and they will thrive personally. The organizations benefit from much needed physical and intellectual resources and our volunteers grow in empathy and global citizenship. Our connections have a domino effect of positive impact: local organizations have the capacity to reach more people and our volunteers spread new found empathy and global perspectives to their home communities and workplaces.