Starting from

San Ramón
Costa Rica
2 to 24 weeks
  • Host Family

Costa Rica is well known for its natural beauty, wildlife and relaxed life style. As a volunteer you will become part of a team working towards helping country's most vulnerable areas and helping to create better and stronger communities.

Volunteers work from Monday-Fri (4-6 hour per day) and are placed in projects that match their preference and profile. Asides from working you will be immersed in the local culture, language and placed in caring host family.

The program includes:

Welcome at the airport and private transport to your host family
Transport to language school and volunteer project site
24 hour on call support from in country staff and emergency assistance.
Program and project orientation and safety chat
Walking tour of local community

Private room accommodation (shared bathroom) with a host family
Breakfast and dinner, 7 days/week
Volunteering placement
Letter of recommendation

All programs include:
Welcome at the airport and private transport to your host family
Transport to language school and volunteer project site
24 hour on call support from in country staff and emergency assistance.
Program and project orientation.
Walking tour of local community

6 weeks 1530
7 weeks 1717
8 weeks 1853
Extra week 149

All volunteer programs require $240 registration fee to enroll.
*$55 extra per week if working with wildlife programs.

Charlotte
Dresden, Germany

My experience

All in all, it was a great experience.
So I just wanna mention some facts that I likes especially or also some I did not like. To help you to improve and to write an honest review.

I especially liked:
- that the coordinator was always there to help
- that there were also other volunteers in my town, it makes the first weeks way easier
- that my boss in my work was openminded for my ideas

what could be improved:
- the job was very different than described in the brochure in Germany
- some more activities together with the coordinator and the volunteers could be organized
- the host family was more like a hotel than a family - they were lovely, but needed the money and I was treated more like in a hotel than like living together with a family.

Ronny
Germany
Humboldt State University

My time in CR

Last summer after passing my final exams in high-school I decided to go to Costa Rica to learn Spanish and getting to know the Latin Culture.
There are various organizations which offer trips and volunteer-stays in Central America, especially in Costa Rica which is knwon as the saftiest country in this region. The reason I choose to go with Inlex was because there programmes in community developement sounded more interesting to me than caring for children or passing my days in a butterfly-farm.
I had a great time and made some great experiences, I met friendly people all over the country and i achieved an important goal by speaking spanish fluently within six month.
But overall I have to say I am kind of disappointed.Dont get me wrong, I don't want to blame anyone of the people with who I passed half a year. People who always care for you, if you need help, people do the best they can, to provide you a wonderful time. But still I have to say I was kind of bored most of the time. If you are the nature guy, I am sure you will love Costa Rica. The rainforest in the mountains, the dry and hot areas in the north, the carreaben beaches which look exactly like directly from Hollywood - all these are beatiful and impressing places. If you are the social guy who likes to meet many interesting people, who loves a good conversation and needs some cultural input there is good chance to you won't be satisfied. Sometimes I had the feeling Costa Rica lacks of these things. Of course, that is unfair to say because even in half a year I had the chance to see only a small part of Costa Rica, also it is my very subjective point of view on the other hand that is just a resume of the expierence I made. You won't find much indigenoues culture, you won't find that romatic socialist touch you may think of when you hear stories about Latin America. Instead you will feel the big influence of the U.S. (I don't want to say that's bad thing, but maybe not the reason why you take a long journey to Costa Rica), you will probably pass many hours in malls because thats how many Ticos spend their time, many nights in mostly German and American hostels because these are the nicest and cheapest all along the coast... I guess all depends on your expectations so make sure they fit. Honestly I have to admit that there were many others who had a great time and I defenitly don't regret I went to CR but after all the experiences I made would have gone to a bigger city with more social activities and more intellectual-input.

The Inlex staff did their best and always tried to support me, but many times you are on your own. I met a few host-familys and I think many of them would not fulfill the requirements, if there were any requirements, but for me that's okay. I say that because I know from other volunteers that some people expect 24/7 service from the organization-members and their host-family to be their best friends. If you decide to go to another country for some time, there will be difficulties all the time but that is what makes it so exciting. The staff works mostly part-time in the Inlex-office, so you should be able to handle problems on your own. For me that fitted perfectly, but with great respect, everyone should ask yourself, if that is really what he/she wants.

Response from INLEXCA

Thank you for your reviews. However this seems more of a review of the country rather than the program.

We are responsible for the volunteering experience but not for the social factors such as social interactions and what volunteer choose to do in their free time.

Costa Rica is not known for its vas indigenous culture, but rather for its natural resources.If you would to experience more indigenous latin american cultures, I suggest our program in Guatemala where volunteers can expect direct contact with mayan descent communities.

The INLEXCA staff is always there to support and advise you in any important matters all that the volunteers need to do is contact our volunteer coordinator on site.

Lea
Berlin

Good experience

I had a great time in Costa Rica. The people and the way of living made it easy for me to feel at ease and i soon started to get closer to the culture and to other people - natives and other volunteers. I made a lot of new friends and discovered the kindness of so many people. The work as such gave me the feeling to be needed in some way, but also to find myself in working with and talking to people, so different in many ways.
I was lucky to be in contact with such nice, helpful and lovely persons and I had the chance to learn to speak and to communicate in my own way (in an other language).
All in all I can say that i don't regret having made this decision to go to Costa Rica and to work with and for INLEX.
I am grateful to all the people who made my stay there as comfortable as i could imagine. The people who were/are in charge of the costa rican program were so kind, nice, helpful and became true friends.

The Go Overseas Guarantee

•   Secure payments
  •   Easy, direct messages
  •   Network of travelers
  •   Verified reviews

About the Provider

INLEXCA offers volunteer programs , group volunteering and internships in Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua. Our programs are customized to the participants to create great cultural experiences.