Volunteer in Costa Rica | Education, Healthcare, & more

Age
18 - 100 years
35 travelers are looking at this program

About This Program

Costa Rica is well known for its natural beauty, wildlife, and relaxed lifestyle. As a volunteer, you will become part of a team working towards helping the country's most vulnerable areas and helping to create better and stronger communities.

Volunteers are placed in projects that match their preference and profile. Asides from working you will be immersed in the local culture, language and placed in a caring host family.

• Volunteer in Education, Healthcare, Child Care, Environmental Protection and Wildlife
  • Seek thrills by zip-lining through the rainforest
  • Enjoy Surfing and Scuba Diving on your off-day
  • Explore unique wildlife in the many rainforests Costa Rica has to offer
  • Take a tour of Museo de San Ramon

CHILDCARE PROGRAM

In this program you will be doing a variety of activities with the children including: laying with the kids, helping staff with day to day chores, helping prepare meals for the kids, teaching the kids, helping develop educational materials.

CONSTRUCTION

Construction projects have become more popular over the past decade and many volunteers choose to take part in them in Costa Rica. During our construction program you will be helping, along with other volunteers, build houses for Costa Ricans living in poor conditions. During this program you will be: Helping design work plans, helping build the foundations for houses, moving earth to flatten out terrains, painting, building Houses, moving construction materials, helping to build furniture for houses and fixtures.

TEACHING ENGLISH

English has become a basic tool to get into the working world today. Volunteers in the English teaching program will help underprivileged kids in Costa Rica have a chance at learning this language. During this project you will be: directly teaching English, helping other teachers implement English in to their class, creating games for children geared toward teaching English, strengthening a class curriculum such as math and science.

What's Included
Airport Transfers
Some Meals
Wifi
More info on what's included:

Airport welcome and private transport to your host family, 24 hour support and emergency assistance, project orientation and safety chat, walking tour of local community, Private accommodation (shared bathroom),
Breakfast and dinner, Letter of recommendation

What's Not Included
SIM cards
Transportation
Travel Insurance
Visa
More info on what's not included:

Flights to and from country of destination
Transportation upon finishing program
Mandatory health/medical insurance . If you don’t have one you can purchase one here
Personal spending
Visa fees (if any)
Any additional travel and tours

HOUSING

We will provide you with accommodation with a host family

MEALS

Gallo Pinto and Casado are typical dishes in the country but you will find that it differs by region. The basic diet includes beans, rice, meat, seafood, all kind of fresh vegetables and fruits, bread and tortillas which is what you will be mainly eating.

Video

75 F / 57 F
Airports:
Juan Santamaria International Airport
( SJO )

San Ramon, like most of Costa Rica, is largely relished for its agricultural abundance. Travelers will enjoy the mountains, forests, teeming wildlife, and litany of hiking trails.

Hosted by Integrated Learning Experiences- INLEX

Integrated Learning Experiences offers volunteer programs , group volunteering and internships in Guatemala, Costa Rica, Peru and Argentina. Our programs are customized to the participants to create great cultural experiences.

Project Coordinator
Have a question?
Send Diego a Message

Carla

Costa Rica - el país más lindo

During my time in Costa Rica I got to stay with an amazing tico host family in the city of San Ramón while working in a women empowerment program. San Ramón is a beautiful and lively city and the other volunteers and I were all really happy with our projects and host families. Tanya, the program’s coordinator took great care of us and regularly planed get-togethers and trips. You will be able to pick up the Spanish pretty quickly since you are always surrounded by it - at home as well as at work. Moreover you’ll get the possibility to really get to know the wonderful people of Costa Rica and see the prettiest places. I can only recommend this program to anyone! Muchísimas gracias por todo! Tuve el mejor tiempo y quiero volver pronto

Franka

Costa Rica

All in all the program was an awesome experience. The family I stayed with was friendly, lovely and always open to help me. I really appreciated this much. Unfortunately I had to evacuate my program, due to the arising of COVID-19 and the immediate change if conditions. I could not enter my project, since I only stayed in Costa Rica for 5 weeks before the COVID-19 break out. These 5 weeks I had visited a Spanish course. All in all the experience was exceptional, even though I had to stop my project and return to Germany.

Nothing. I was content with every aspect. The families were nice and the Spanish course was very helpful.
Jenna

Magnificent!

Costa Rica (especially the people!) is truly magnificent. San Ramón has everything you need and is located extremely well for traveling around the country. The coordinator is so sweet, fun (planned many activities) and really took the time for me and us. My volunteer project was really well organized and it was special to meet the other volunteers, who I’m still friends with. Living with the host family was authentic and special. I hope I can go back some day. I’m convinced, you won’t regret going!

Greta

Una de las mejores experiencias de mi vida

Translated by Go Overseas:

I had a great time in Costa Rica; Including work on my two projects and life in a Costa Rican family, which I loved.
The volunteers are part of the families and all the families of my friends that I met were too pretty.
My family especially made me as their daughter or sister and totally as a part that made me feel super comfortable in that family and I will never forget that experience.
In my two projects (A school and a nursery) I felt very good too, because all the people are too kind and I was always a vacilon with them.
I am very grateful for everything I had in Costa Rica and for all the people I met.

Original Review:

Tenía un tiempo buenísimo en Costa Rica; incluido el trabajo en mis dos proyecto y la vida en una familia tica, que me encantó.
Los voluntarios son parte de las familias y todas las familias de mis amigas que conocí, estuvieron demasiado lindas.
La familia mía especialmente me hizo como una hija o hermana de ellos y totalmente como una parte que me hizo sentir súper cómoda en esa familia y nunca voy a olvidar ese experiencia.
En mis dos proyectos (Un colegio y una guardería) me sentí muy bien también, porque todas la personas son demasiado amables y siempre era un vacilon con ellos.
Estoy muy agradecida por todo que tenía en Costa Rica y por toda la gente que conocí.

Maybe more projects which actually need help like for example projects with construction
Daira

My experience in Costa Rica

I have spent a month in San Ramon, Costa Rica. I enjoyed my time in the programme where i have learn to care of others and be more independent. I was in a kinder garden which helps single mothers and families who have struggles. Also i loved the country and the people, who were so warm and made me feel like home. I would love to return and know more places. I really liked the culture and the joy of the people. I highly recommed doing a job as a volunteer because it helps you to grow as a person.

In the kinder garden where i worked was really nice but the person who owns the place is not so honest and sometimes doesn"t treat well the volunteers.
Seham

Internship in Costa RIca

I just finished a six months internship in Costa Roca, I had so much fun and gained a lot of knowledge in language and in my field. As a Muslim girl I went to Costa Rica with some fear and hesitation because of the very different culture but when I arrived there, the people and staff were very welcoming and understanding for these differences and I felt like home! I would encourage anyone to go for this ! The language was not a barrier because most people there speak and understand English!!!!!!

The program was very good and helpful but I would add more clinical options for students!
Profile
Elena

Amazing experience!

I had a great experience volunteering in Costa Rica. I have met incredible people and the two coordinators (Tania & David) of the program have been amazing. The host family has been also perfect.

As regards the project I have been working with people with disabilities in the Universidad de San José, helping them to enhance their oral expression skills. Comparing to previous volunteering experiences (and despite this has been the shorter period - just 2 weeks!) this has been the time that I have felt more useful for the people I have worked with. And also the best local NGO/coordinators (Integrated Learning Experiences - Volunteer
Abroad) I have met! Staying with the family facilitates also a more complete experience and sharing the same mother tongue has allowed me to connect more with local people. I had the chance to meet other volunteers, to cook local food, to know other host families, travel around this beautiful country, etc.

Nothing to complain about!
Many thanks,
Elena Sánchez

To be patient, to be sure they know they are not gonna save the world, but to live an amazing experience, sharing, learning, knowing.
Lauracatalina

Pura Vida

Living in Costa Rica was an incredible experience. I was doing the project on women empowerment and it was a great job, with a lot of things to learn and to achieve. Everybody was really welcomming and they were really nice. My family was great and I had a lot of fun with them, the room was good and the food that they gave me too! They are always open to talk and take care of your needs, wich is great when you are travelling and missing your homeland and family. Costa Rica is a really nice place to travel and it has amazing views, great people, food, beaches and animals. I was really glad that you could find really easily somebody to travel with and most of the people are open to it.
Glad to come back someday again and thank you very much!

I would improve the relationship between the volunteers by inviting them to more activities that include everybody.