Save the Turtles in Costa Rica

Join Oyster Worldwide on our turtle conservation project in beautiful Costa Rica. Gain the experience of a lifetime whilst making a serious contribution to the preservation of turtles, an issue that is in dire need of attention. The project allows you to get up close to these stunning animals, and as a result, you can really get involved in their protection and development.

During the project you will live in a remote village community, therefore encouraging you to immerse yourself in the local culture. By day, you will help with research whilst keeping a watchful eye on the hatching turtles. If not working with the turtles, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the beautiful beaches from the view of a hammock, explore the community and try the local cuisine. By night, whilst on beach patrol you will see the beaches come alive with nesting turtles under the light of the Milky Way. The project is extremely worthwhile, and will give you an experience that is hard to forget.

Jonah

Relaxing and Rewarding!

I used Oyster's services to travel to Costa Rica in order to volunteer on the sea turtle conservation project. I had not expected the majority of the work to be done at night, but you hardly notice it getting to spend your whole day resting on the beach. My project was at Costa De Oro which was a beautiful and quiet beach front. I will quite possibly never experience anything like having eggs laid into my hands from a creature far older than me from another world, watch her babies be born, and then bring them to the ocean. To help out a living creature in that way while also protecting their habitat with people from all over the globe was touching. The connection i was able to make to nature and people has inspired me to continue to use travel as a way to connect myself to the world around me, but also to help other studetns have these experiences as well.

Oyster could not have been more fantastic to work with for this vacation. They made me feel safe and well prepared every step of the way. I had to get out of my comfort zone with the accomodation and traveling within the country, but this did not deter me from enjoying the experience and i would do it again in a heartbeat. Oyster Worldwide did a great job setting everything up and I could not be more thankful to them and the Turtle Trax team.

The only way I think it could be improved is more community projects during the day. Otherwise great.
Lauren

Excellent wished it lasted longer

From start to finish nothing was too much of a problem, there was no such thing as a silly question. I haven't travelled in years and it was the first time I had done it by myself. Oyster's UK office were superb at answering any question, inquiry or problem I had. They were exceedingly helpful and very easy to get in contact with. When I was out there I was looked after incredibly well and had the time of my life! Just wish it had lasted longer!

Not really sure
Response from Oyster Worldwide

Hi Lauren,
Thank you for your review and we're so pleased you felt supported pre-departure and during your trip :)

Robert

Summer of new horizons

Flying half-way around the world by yourself can at first seem daunting. Yet after reaching San Jose, the chilled tico way of life already began to make me realise that it shouldn't be. The hostel was fine for staying in and clean, but I was distracted by looking forward to reaching the beach and fears about the people I would meet, whom I knew nothing about and had to spend a week with.

However, once I got on the minibus I realised that we were all in the same boat, even those of us who had flown out as pairs or were already friends/family. It's surprising how quickly you can bond so closely, so suffice it to say that by the time we had reached our destination (following a deviation by ferry as the bus had broken down before reaching us) we were all more than comfortable with the idea of spending a week in the beautiful, tropical paradise of San Miguel together.

The days were relaxed although there were activities like volleyball or helping local children, and often the coordinators came up with their own activities for the day like fitness. The food was incredible and Locos Cocos was definitely worth a visit, but the most worthwhile part of the trip was undoubtedly the night shifts. The interminable excitement at possible finding a turtle meant that you didn't care how long you were out in the night or when, really. The two hours flew by, especially when you did find the tracks to a turtle or their nest.

I remember it felt like a massive privilege to be able to see such an intimate moment as when a turtle laid her eggs, the embodiment of a dinosaur, almost unchanged for millennia. Whilst it first seemed like the eggs might break you soon learned how strong they were and I felt nothing more satisfying than seeing the work we had done in the hatchery as it rapidly filled.

Now that I'm back in the UK I've been lucky enough to receive some photos from my friends who stayed out their longer of the baby turtles making their journey to the ocean. TO know that we made a difference, no matter how small, makes me immensely prideful. Yet, I feel no regrets about not seeing the babies. To be able to see an animal older than I am, to be able to collect her eggs and to witness something that almost nobody else can all while relaxing in such a beautiful location was fulfilling enough. Whilst everything may have been permanently damp with the ocean breeze and the wildlife more than exotic, I could not say that I was put off for a minute from the idea of travelling.

So, I thank the incredible work of Oyster Worldwide and the Turtle Trax team for making my stay so enjoyable, as I look further afield to my next journey now with the self-confidence of a true person of the world.

More social activity outside of the immediate community.
Response from Oyster Worldwide

Hi Robert,
Lovely to read your review about your experience in Costa Rica with the turtles. Certainly sounds like you made the most of your time out there. Thanks for taking the time to review !

Becky

Turtle Conservation is the Best Experience

The highlight was releasing the hatchlings everyday as well as collection the turtle eggs whilst they were being laid, I loved the hands on experience. The project site was in the most beautiful and rural location, there was so much to see and do each day. I enjoyed the surf and playing football with the locals. Some patrols could be tough when it was raining heavily out, but seeing the turtles made it all worthwhile as well as being motivated by other volunteers.
Turtle conservation was the best experience of my life and definitely like to return one day to help some more! I would highly recommend going to save the turtles!

Daniel

A life changing experience

I have spent five weeks in the magic beach of San Miguel, Costa Rica. We have been volunteering on the sea turtle project. The work was mainly during the night, patroling the beach and collecting turtle eggs in order to prevent them from beeing poached. We have collected thousands of eggs and have released thousands of baby turtles. To see the hatchlings making their way in the pacific ocean is touching the Soul.
The work in combination with the inspiring volunteers has changed my life. After returning back to Switzlerand I have left the financial industry and I have started to work for our familiy Business.

I have been thinking hard: no further ideas

About Oyster Worldwide

Oyster Worldwide is a respected gap year and responsible travel organisation. Since 2000, we have been sending volunteers and workers overseas on our exciting projects. Our friendly team is dedicated to providing a personal service, offering support...