Save the Turtles in Costa Rica

Join Oyster Worldwide on our turtle conservation project in beautiful Costa Rica. Gain the experience of a lifetime whilst making a serious contribution to the preservation of turtles, an issue that is in dire need of attention. The project allows you to get up close to these stunning animals, and as a result, you can really get involved in their protection and development.

During the project you will live in a remote village community, therefore encouraging you to immerse yourself in the local culture. By day, you will help with research whilst keeping a watchful eye on the hatching turtles. If not working with the turtles, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the beautiful beaches from the view of a hammock, explore the community and try the local cuisine. By night, whilst on beach patrol you will see the beaches come alive with nesting turtles under the light of the Milky Way. The project is extremely worthwhile, and will give you an experience that is hard to forget.

Robert

Summer of new horizons

Flying half-way around the world by yourself can at first seem daunting. Yet after reaching San Jose, the chilled tico way of life already began to make me realise that it shouldn't be. The hostel was fine for staying in and clean, but I was distracted by looking forward to reaching the beach and fears about the people I would meet, whom I knew nothing about and had to spend a week with.

However, once I got on the minibus I realised that we were all in the same boat, even those of us who had flown out as pairs or were already friends/family. It's surprising how quickly you can bond so closely, so suffice it to say that by the time we had reached our destination (following a deviation by ferry as the bus had broken down before reaching us) we were all more than comfortable with the idea of spending a week in the beautiful, tropical paradise of San Miguel together.

The days were relaxed although there were activities like volleyball or helping local children, and often the coordinators came up with their own activities for the day like fitness. The food was incredible and Locos Cocos was definitely worth a visit, but the most worthwhile part of the trip was undoubtedly the night shifts. The interminable excitement at possible finding a turtle meant that you didn't care how long you were out in the night or when, really. The two hours flew by, especially when you did find the tracks to a turtle or their nest.

I remember it felt like a massive privilege to be able to see such an intimate moment as when a turtle laid her eggs, the embodiment of a dinosaur, almost unchanged for millennia. Whilst it first seemed like the eggs might break you soon learned how strong they were and I felt nothing more satisfying than seeing the work we had done in the hatchery as it rapidly filled.

Now that I'm back in the UK I've been lucky enough to receive some photos from my friends who stayed out their longer of the baby turtles making their journey to the ocean. TO know that we made a difference, no matter how small, makes me immensely prideful. Yet, I feel no regrets about not seeing the babies. To be able to see an animal older than I am, to be able to collect her eggs and to witness something that almost nobody else can all while relaxing in such a beautiful location was fulfilling enough. Whilst everything may have been permanently damp with the ocean breeze and the wildlife more than exotic, I could not say that I was put off for a minute from the idea of travelling.

So, I thank the incredible work of Oyster Worldwide and the Turtle Trax team for making my stay so enjoyable, as I look further afield to my next journey now with the self-confidence of a true person of the world.

More social activity outside of the immediate community.
Response from Oyster Worldwide

Hi Robert,
Lovely to read your review about your experience in Costa Rica with the turtles. Certainly sounds like you made the most of your time out there. Thanks for taking the time to review !

Becky

Turtle Conservation is the Best Experience

The highlight was releasing the hatchlings everyday as well as collection the turtle eggs whilst they were being laid, I loved the hands on experience. The project site was in the most beautiful and rural location, there was so much to see and do each day. I enjoyed the surf and playing football with the locals. Some patrols could be tough when it was raining heavily out, but seeing the turtles made it all worthwhile as well as being motivated by other volunteers.
Turtle conservation was the best experience of my life and definitely like to return one day to help some more! I would highly recommend going to save the turtles!

Daniel

A life changing experience

I have spent five weeks in the magic beach of San Miguel, Costa Rica. We have been volunteering on the sea turtle project. The work was mainly during the night, patroling the beach and collecting turtle eggs in order to prevent them from beeing poached. We have collected thousands of eggs and have released thousands of baby turtles. To see the hatchlings making their way in the pacific ocean is touching the Soul.
The work in combination with the inspiring volunteers has changed my life. After returning back to Switzlerand I have left the financial industry and I have started to work for our familiy Business.

I have been thinking hard: no further ideas

About Oyster Worldwide

Oyster Worldwide is a respected gap year and responsible travel organisation. Since 2000, we have been sending volunteers and workers overseas on our exciting projects. Our friendly team is dedicated to providing a personal service, offering support...