Most Affordable & Meaningful Volunteer Program in Costa Rica

Exotic Animal Rescue
Exotic Animal Rescue
Medical Clinic & EMT
Medical Clinic & EMT

Hibiscus Travels offers fields of interest for internships, service learning abroad, and group travel including: conservation, community service, empowerment, medical, animal welfare, and specialized projects.

Hibiscus offers programs which include accommodations and meals, transportation, in-country support, and additional aspects upon request such as excursions, learning courses, and language immersion.

Our team is happy to assist in customizing any program to specific needs.

Dormitory Accommodations with WiFi or Host Family

• As low as $440/Week including program coordination, meals, and housing
  • Build your resume & gain community service hours with volunteer work or in-field internship experience
  • Conservation, community service, medical, veterinary, study abroad, and specialized projects
  • internships, service learning abroad, and group travel including: conservation, community service, empowerment, medical, animal welfare, and specialized projects.

Impact

arnai

Time in Costa Rica

It’s an excellent program to explore and volunteer, as well as learn some spanish and eat good food! Some of the activities included waterfalls, hikes, ziplining, and my personal favorite, visiting the beautiful beaches. During my time here, I felt very safe in the houses and I felt comfortable walking in the neighborhood at night when I want to get a late night snack. The program is also very structured and organized. They feed you every morning, lunch, and evening. They are also excellent at listening to your dietary needs and concerns. It’s a great program for any universities and companies who want to have a good time

Bring bug spray and sunscreen, as well as drink a lot of water
Kendall

Fun time in Costa Rica

If you are thinking about exploring Costa Rica this is a great program to do through your school or friends! We went to a waterfall, beaches, and zip lining. Each activity was a lot of fun and a great experience. It was so phenomenal being engulfed in this culture. While staying at this house we eat Costa Rican based food like rice and beans and many juicy fresh fruits! This trip is definitely worth it and is highly recommended for anyone looking to immerse themselves in Costa Rican culture as well as enjoying themselves.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
The most unfamiliar thing to me about Costa Rica was the amount of rice we ate.
Jordan

Costa Rica experience

This is a great program for students looking to be involved in the culture and education in Costa Rica. This experience gives you the ability to understand and be involved in the typical life of a Costa Rican resident. Volunteers will eat food native to the country. We also engaged in many diverse activities including ziplining, cultural museums, hiking waterfalls, and visiting local beaches. As the group does all of the excursions together, the bonds formed will be life long friends! Even bonds have been formed with our van driver as well!

I think that the food could be improved for people who need more protein. There were many meals that were vegetarian and I needed more meat personally.
Shauna

Amazing experience!

This is my second year coming to volunteer in Costa Rica with Hibiscus Travels, and it was wonderful! There is a variety of options for excursions and service projects. We went to multiple beaches and a waterfall and zip lining. Our service project was working with toddlers in the mornings to teach English and play with them. Hibiscus Travels really works hard to make this experience exciting, memorable, and rewarding. I hope I get to return again next year and for more years to come. Pura vida!

Come with an open mind and a willingness to say yes to opportunities and adventures!
Reagan

Costa Rica

This was a fun trip!! I was happy to see a new place such as Costa Rica! I enjoyed exploring and seeing new parts of the country. I enjoyed the hiking and going to the water fall. I also enjoyed seeing several beaches. It was nice to interact with young children, but also go on fun excursions. I also thought it was cool to experience the culture of Costa Rica. I would recommend this trip to anyone wanting to experience a new culture while volunteering. I am happy I was able to go on this trip! It is something I will always remember!

I would tell future travelers to go into it with an open mind!!!
Sarah

I loved it!!

I loved working with the children! It was a great experience and everyone we worked with was very nice. Teaching and shaping the children’s minds was such a rewarding experience. We also went to so many fun experiences. Zip lining and the waterfall hike were both wonderful experiences. Overall, the trip was a success and I would love to come again in the future. I would recommend this experience to anyone who asked me about it. I will never forget what I have experienced or learned throughout this trip.

What was your funniest moment?
Working and playing with the children was by far the funniest moments.
Watson

Fun time!

Very supportive staff who oversaw our group and were very proactive with change, scheduling, excursion trips and even night activities after our provided dinners. Had a fantastic driver who was very entertaining on some long drives, and was almost a part of our group by the end of the week. Service was impactful and provided excellent learning opportunities for Spanish language and culture, especially for college students. Several stores and restaurants located by our private house was perfect for late night snacks also.

Service was not what I expected, was mainly just playing with kids for a few hours and watching YouTube videos with them. Didn’t seem to be much structure with the activists that were planned or they only lasted for a few minutes.
Britney

Repeat experience and just as good as the first time

This is the second experience we've had using Hibiscus Travels and it's been wonderful both times. Cuidad Cortes is such a beautiful, relaxing, and peaceful area. It is very The people are kind and welcoming. We love being able to bike everywhere in town. Pretty close to Manuel Antonio and Nauyaca Waterfall, both of which are amazing! We worked in an orphanage in our last project and this time we've been teaching English to children in the city while they are out of school. It is a wide spread of language experience on both sides of the classroom (teachers and students) but everyone is happy to be there and learns together. We have always received the best support from the coordinators of the program. You can rely on good advice, experience, and patience! They are so helpful and make sure you are happy with your experience. The projects they run are actual impactful for the communities they are serving and meet real needs. Both times we have come I have brought one of my daughters and we have had good experiences, never feeling unsafe. Both communities have been safe and I love being able to come to places we can immerse ourselves in the culture and community without being worried about that. We have stayed with a host family and stayed in the volunteer house and there are merits to both! I'm so glad I used Hibiscus again and will continue to do so in the future. I am so grateful for the flexibility and custom nature of the projects Hibiscus offers. It's afforded priceless opportunities for education for my family. We feel like part of the Hibiscus family.

I can't think of anything at this point. I think maybe making sure all the meals are varied. Depending on who is cooking your meals can make a big difference in your cuisine experience while you are here.