San José, the capital of Costa Rica, is in the central valley of the Costa Rican rainforest. As the cultural, economic, and political center of Costa Rica, San José is where most Costa Ricans live, work, and play. In San José, you will be able to experience a vibrant and busy Latin American metropolis while also having the rest of Costa Rica's pristine natural wonders nearby.
In San José, Costa Rica, there are a variety of service fields; opportunities include a plethora of museums, local schools, youth and disability centers, health clinics, and several others. Through service and guided reflection-based curriculum, our goal is to help you gain a better understanding of the local language, culture, and community.
Every servince-learning placement is unique, so visit the ISA website to learn more about the specific program options available in San José. We especially recommend San José for studetns interested in education or working in museums.
- Receive personalized advising on service opportunities and program options that are the best fit for you. You will receive confirmation of the community-based organization you have been matched with before departure.
- Begin your transition to daily life in your new country and culture on the Bridging Cultures Program, our in-country orientation.
- Benefit from the ISA office located near the Veritas campus, enjoy the company of your fellow service-learning participants and ISA students, and use the Wi-Fi Internet provided at the ISA office.
- Have the opportunity to earn academic credit.
- Demonstrate the professional, cultural, and personal competencies you acquired while on the program through reflection-based assignments and activities that make up the ISA Service-Learning Portfolio.