ISA Service-Learning in San Jose, Costa Rica

service learning in san jose

San José, the capital of Costa Rica, is in the central valley of the Costa Rican rainforest. As the cultural, economic, and political center of Costa Rica, San José is where most Costa Ricans live, work, and play. In San José, you will be able to experience a vibrant and busy Latin American metropolis while also having the rest of Costa Rica's pristine natural wonders nearby.

In San José, Costa Rica, there are a variety of service fields; opportunities include a plethora of museums, local schools, youth and disability centers, health clinics, and several others. Through service and guided reflection-based curriculum, our goal is to help you gain a better understanding of the local language, culture, and community.

• Receive personalized advising on service opportunities and program options that are the best fit for you. You will receive confirmation of the community-based organization you have been matched with before departure.
  • Begin your transition to daily life in your new country and culture on the Bridging Cultures Program, our in-country orientation.
  • Benefit from the ISA office located near the Veritas campus, enjoy the company of your fellow service-learning participants and ISA students, and use the Wi-Fi Internet provided at the ISA office.
  • Have the opportunity to earn academic credit.
  • Demonstrate the professional, cultural, and personal competencies you acquired while on the program through reflection-based assignments and activities that make up the ISA Service-Learning Portfolio.

ISA Scholarships
ISA Scholarships and Financial Aid

ISA is committed to increasing all students’ access to study abroad’s many benefits. We don't let financial hardships to get in the way of a life changing educational experience.

$350 - $2,000

Melissa

All-Around Incredible Experience

I participated in ELAP in San José, Costa Rica, and I had an amazing experience.

1. My Spanish language skills drastically improved during my time at my internship, simply interacting with people.

2. I used what I was learning to gain internship credit at my university, which looks great on my transcript.

3. I got to put the internship experience on my CV [résumé], too, which looks really impressive.

4. My experience at my internship became integral to the topic and research matter of my undergraduate thesis.

5. The ISA-ELAP staff in Costa Rica are unbelievably great. They are encouraging, supportive, compassionate, helpful... the list goes on.

Nothing - I also loved getting the transportation stipend each week! Sometimes I would splurge and take taxis instead of the bus, and sometimes I would save it and use it for personal travel instead!

About ISA (International Studies Abroad)

As a leader in international education for thirty years, ISA is dedicated to providing university and college level students the opportunity to discover, learn, and enjoy a way of life other than their own. ISA offers a diverse portfolio of education...