Proyecto Mosaico: Volunteer Work in Central America

You can become a part of our work! Share your time, experiences and ideas with our partner projects and their participants. You can help improve the local situation, raise awareness, and protect the environment! On our homepage, you can find our projects and the corresponding presentations.

Please check the time commitment, Spanish level, and required capabilities and experiences. The presentations will give you detailed descriptions of the projects such as location, room and board options, Spanish schools, and estimated costs.

There is no waiting times or application deadlines for volunteer positions; usually you can arrive all year round. However, we do need a lead-time of about 3 months, to ensure enough time to answer all questions and to find an organization that is a good match for you.

We do accept volunteers that come with their children. We just ask that they be respectful of our school rules and generally well-behaved. They can work alongside their parents, attend another class, or play with students on the playground.

Xenia

Amazing experience in a lifetime!

Proyecto Mosaico is a well organised organisation with an office located in Granada, Nicaragua. The small fee for all the administration work and maintenance of this NPO is really appropriate and way less than other organisations charge you. I chose a small community center on the Island of Ometepe and I loved to work in my project. Within the 4 months I lived with a local family and taught English, Spanish and some German and French as well as afternoon activities. Although there were some problems with the head of the project due to cultural differences, the volunteer coordinator in Granada always offered help and tried to mediate. And even in the shared flat, that's situated next to the office, I always felt welcomed and with all the other volunteers who lived there we celebrated christmas together. The atmosphere was so cosy and it almost felt like family. And two of the office even visited the project and stayed at my familys house as well.
I really recommend you to do your volunteer experience with Proyecto Mosaico cause they are a small and non-profit-motivated organisation with the aim to support cultural exchange and a sensitization towards a different culture. And you can do it no matter of you're 18, 30 of even 60 years old - it's always a unique experience! Thank you again Katrin, Sabine, Silvi und Sandra!

Maybe a little more detailled information about the work in the project but I know that they are working hard to improve it.
Hannah

Small project with big potential

Mano Amiga is a great community project which supports the children and women in Balgüe on Ometepe in Nicaragua. Founded by expats in the area, it is now run by locals to be a self-sustainable and independent project. The library, daycare, playground, garden and nutrition program is aiming at the children of the community, while the clothing workshop offers women the possibility to work and meet, and the coffee roasting is working with local farms. Therefore, working with Mano Amiga has many opportunities to learn from and to develop further. The organizer Roberto is a very nice guy, who speaks well English, but otherwise Spanish knowledge is important. Motivation and ideas are very welcome to support the project and give the quiet, small town new input. The work, therefore, depends on one’s contribution and ambition, or can otherwise be boring due to the lack of the local’s creativity. With this, as well as enough time on site and in the neighborhood (min. 2 months), great things can be achieved. For this, self-sustainability should be aimed at. Host family and Spanish teacher can be found in the community, which is frequently visited by short-term tourists, but is otherwise very simple and typical Nicaraguan. From the harbor on the main land (San Jorge), it takes about 3 hours to Balgüe, where various nice projects are taking place, though mostly run by expats. Getting familiar with the surrounding is definitely a good idea to understand the community and help the locals to grow their community. During my time (winter 2016/17), some parts of the project were not running well or closed due to holidays or due to lack of money and motivated people.

Marlene

Very professional organization with great NGO network in Latin America

In 2015 I found an amazing volunteer project in Guatemala through PM. I have done a lot of research online in order to find a local NGO in Guatemala or Nicaragua with a suitable volunteer position for 2-3 months. PM were the only organization I felt comfortable with and that didn't charge huge fees for a placement within a local organization. I was looking for a volunteer position quite spontaneous and without a very precise idea. PM was very helpful and always fast with their professional advice and suggestions for specific volunteer positions that do make an impact. Just within a couple weeks I found the perfect match in Guatemala, where I lived such a valuable and rich volunteer experience. Thank you a lot PM; without your help, I would never have found this organization and position and made this unique experience.

Marielle

Fabulosity

I was struggling to find a volunteer group until the providential day I found PM. Immediately I was struck by the prompt and thorough communication I received with patient and attentive help in determining not only my placement but my lodging as well, all catered to my desires.
The project was great, so fulfilling. The people of Nicaragua were wonderful, locals and foreigners alike.
I am blessed to have found PM and hope to be able to work with them in the future!! Vielen Dank and muchas gracias!
Marielle

N/a
Mathilde

live your life

I was a teacher in an afterschool for kids between 3 and 5. My role was to be an assistant also. I really loved my work. You reveive more than you give and it's for your life. I saw so many people who came in our association and all return with a bigger heart and a new vision about what is the real life. Even the culture are really different in this kind of country, a child stay a child and need affection, games, laugh and love ! Don't ask yourself to be a volunteer, do it !

its a german assaciation and they accept people who doesnt speak german but they dont make a lot of effort to speak English and i think its really not respectful !
Sabrina

Ocotal con los Abuelos, Nicaragua

First, my English is not the best.

My time in Nicaragua was sooo nice. And I can say I will come back to this place.
My family there were so amable and the weather was great.
I love to work with adultos mayores and the nice thing was, that I had all the time I need to work with heart and calmness with them.
I had no bad experience! Every person is diferent. When search time, warm weather and nice people then are you right here!
Nicaragua is a land where you can discover so much things! My plan was 2 month working and one month travelling, and i thought "that is enough", but after a while i recordnize that the time for me was not enough. There are so many beautiful things to see!
I like this project!

Bettina

professional organisation + interesting program = perfect stay!

Proyecto Mosaico is a very well organised and highly professional working association. I spend two months with their partner organization Telares Indígenas Nicaragua in Matagalpa, a nice little town in Northern Nicaragua. I worked in the fields of public relation and marketing. Getting to know the indigenous weavers has been definitely a highlight. I spend the most interesting and inspiring time with them. I absolutely recommend the association as well as the project!

Elena

Great experiences in Granada, Nicaragua

Within 9 months in Nicaragua I worked in two different projects:
A library, which sent me to help an English teacher at one of Granada secondary schools as well as in an afternoon school located in a poor neighbouhood of the town.
In the highschool I got to know the school system and everyday life of teachers and students in Nicaragua - an unique expecience!
Nevertheless, I liked the afternoonschool more, as I could work with younger kids that came voluntarily in their free time and were (most of the time) motivated and always really adorable.
In my work and everyday life I Iearned a lot about culture, traditions, and (especially young) people. Experiences that I don't want to miss any more! After six months of living in this beatiful place I decided to extend my time there and stayed 4 more months.

I'm still sure that it was the right decision to start my voluntary work with Proyecto Mosaico as they are very professional but still uncomplicated so that I could work in different projects and stay longer than first planed. It felt good to know that there is always someone in the office that could help you with any problem concerning work but also life in Nicaragua, traveling or anything else.

Before I came to Nicaragua I only had a vague idea of how my work in the project is going to be. But as they got support of more volunteers in the Proyecto Mosaico office, they are now revising all the projects and trying to give future volunteers more information.
Katja

Fun times in Guatemala

This summer I spent 6 weeks of my summer vacation traveling around Guatemala and El Salvador, and one part of my trip was a stay at the turtle hatchery in Hawaii, Santa Rosa, Guatemala, operated by ARCAS. Before my arrival in Hawaii I was expecting to spend most of my time playing with baby turtles on the sunny beaches. The hatching season, however, started a couple of weeks after I left Hawaii again, which meant that I did not get to see any baby turtles. Nonetheless, I had an amazing time! The park is beautiful and the little houses the volunteers stay in are comfortable. All of the staff and the other volunteers were really friendly, open, and made for a fun time for sure. Work was very different from what I thought it was going to be: instead of doing turtle/ animal related work we mostly did chores around the park which was fun, and then patrols along the beach at night where we actually did get to see turtles laying their eggs- an amazing experience! A couple of weeks before I got to Hawaii, a dead Leatherback Turtle had been washed up on the beach, so in order to preserve the shell we had to inject it regularly with Formaldehyde and clean it thoroughly. Another day, all we did was to sand down coconuts to make necklaces from them. A few days we spent building a new cage for an injured pelican that had been found on the beach. Every day the work in the park was interesting and fun, and never before have I spent time this relaxing and yet rewarding at the same time. Additionally, the meals we had with everyone (volunteers and staff) sitting around the big table in the main area, the beach volleyball matches (“It’s out if it hits the coconut!”), the bonfire, and the kayak tour through the mangroves- all of these events made it an unbelievable experience!

The information received beforehand about the work that would be done in the project was not accurate. I personally did not have a problem with that, but other volunteers might be disappointed and not be interested in volunteering again. Maybe updating the info more regularly would help a lot!
Monica

An Amazing Organization

Hello, I am the Executive Director of Education Plus in Nicaragua. I have to say that first of all we would not be able to operate nearly at the level that we do without the help of Proyecto Mosaico. They are certainly our most important partner. Not only do they provide us with excellent, qualified volunteers who are well matched to our program, but they are always promptly in communication with us and the volunteers and willing to help all parties at all points of the volunteership. The people who work for Proyecto Mosaico are professional and very hard working. It is especially beneficial to the volunteer that Proyecto works with multiple projects, so that if a volunteer arrives and doesn't like the project they start with for whatever reason, they can point this volunteer to another organization that is a better fit. They also help us immensely in that they arrange the homestays and classes for the volunteers - things we can't do as expertly as PM.

Proyecto Mosaico needs more volunteers for themselves! They work so hard that, while the quality of their work is always good, I worry about them personally!
Christina

office experience

I've been a vollunteer in the office and helped to create a new programm to work with groups and families. So I get the chance to do a lot of administrative work as well as working directly with groups of volunteers, local people and kids of the neighborhoods. This includes big experience in every field of work.

you always have to remind that you're working in Nicaragua and there's another mode of time. "Now" isn't always now!
Anne

amazing time

I worked in two different programs of Proyecto mosaico, including the project "Tortugas de Pacuare" in Costa Rica.
I have never seen more different animals in my whole live, than during my 3 week stay in this project.
All the people of this little island were really nice and interested in talking to us about their lives and ours.

So all in all this projecto was the perfect opportunity to get a lot of new experiences, to improve my Spanish, to learn something about the safety of turtles in this area and to hang out on a really nice beach in my freetime.

During my stay there, the project had only a little internet access, but they are going to change that soon.
Miriam

3 month in nicaragua with proyecto mosaico

It was well organised, the staff is super friendly and open and it was one of the best experiences in my life. There are also possibilities to get in contact with other volunteers, for example there is a contact list with all current volunteers and regular meetings. The organization has great contacts.

Nothing comes to my mind right now...
Lisa

Living in paradise

I lived in the project Tortugas de Pacuare for five weeks and I would recommend it to everyone. Despite all those mosquitos, we lived in paradise: during the day, we were swimming in the sea, lying on the beach and eating coconuts.

During work, I learned a lot about sea turtles and environmental protection building a hatchery, patrolling for hours by night and guarding the turtle eggs we had just relocated. The experience we made with this giant animals was just amazing, even if work was sometimes very exhausting.

The house was also nice and living with all those interested volunteers was very exciting. In addition to that, I met a lot of lovely costarican people who taught me how to work a turtle and how to cook costaricain food. We all became a familiy soon.

I now want to keep supporting the project so I'm going back. This time, I'll stay three months. I'll enjoy every single day.

If there was more money, we could cook more varied meals. After some weeks, I could no longer see the rice we ate every day. They already try, but the money's missing.

About Proyecto Mosaico e.V.

Proyecto Mosaico – Unite. Learn. Grow.

Proyecto Mosaico is a German non-profit association based in Berlin/Germany with an office in Granada/Nicaragua. The focus of our work is coordinating international volunteers to organizations and projects in...