Raleigh Expedition is an international volunteering program open to all and engaging young people from around the world. Expedition is one of four programs delivered by the youth-driven development charity, Raleigh International.
We believe young people everywhere can change the world. So, we empower young people (aged 17-24) with the skills, experience and connections to be leaders of change.
Costa Rica is one of the most biodiverse countries in the world, home to national parks, volcanoes and stunning landscapes. The program engages volunteers in creating long-lasting change through hands-on projects that tackle environmental issues, access to education for all, and alleviate poverty.
Expeditions in Costa Rica run for 4, 6, 7 and 10 weeks throughout the year, so you can join on your gap year.
Raleigh Expedition is one of the first UK programs to be accredited by the Gap Year Association (GYA) and recognized by TeenLife as a Top 15 Most Popular Gap Program in 2020.
- Work alongside local people to improve their access to education on the indigenous Community project.
- Help conserve Costa Rica’s biodiversity and improve access to national parks on the Environmental project.
- Trek through rainforest and up volcanoes on a variety of stunning routes that tourists don’t get access to.
- Work with Costa Rican youth to help create a more inclusive society.
- Work alongside innovative young local people, leading the international fight against climate change.
We’re holding development projects to account using technology, developing the skills to run behaviour change campaigns and reducing the impact of climate change on communities most at risk. Youth-driven change is getting things done!
Nearly 2,000 amazing young people from across the world led Raleigh International’s work in 2018 across five countries, impacting the lives of over 40,000. But that’s only part of the story. Young people are continuing to take action in their own communities, from creating sustainable start-ups, to challenging gender inequality and calling for action on the climate emergency and human rights.
If we are going to finally defeat poverty and injustice, find sustainable ways to protect our planet and achieve the Global Goals, young people must be the ones taking the lead and driving the solutions. Read our 2018 impact report at: raleighinternational.org/our-work/our-impact