Genuine Volunteer Service Programs in Cuba with Global Volunteers

Genuine Volunteer Service Programs in Cuba with Global Volunteers

Experience Cuba hand-in-hand in service and partnership with the Cuban people - for one to two weeks. Our affordable, tax-deductible program enables to you make a genuine contribution to the lives of Cuban youth and adults through community projects and exclusive people-to-people exchanges.

Teach English in small groups, help farmers in community gardens, repair and paint buildings with community leaders, landscape public parks, work with elders, clergy, artists and shop keepers – and support the Cuban people’s long-standing vision of prosperity.

Volunteering in Cuba puts you in the midst of daily events and developments – from community celebrations to national initiatives -- the only way to obtain a genuine, “non-tourist” perspective of the cultural and social changes on this fascinating island. What’s more, by extending your hand in service and friendship, you build a bridge of mutual respect between two cultures.

North America » Cuba
Year Round
Hotel
Global Volunteers tax-deductible Cuba program fee starts at $2,795. The fee includes all meals, accommodations, airport transportation, transportation within volunteer projects, project costs, administrative expenses, and support from Global Volunteers staff. Discounts are also available for students, family and multi-person groups, and returning volunteers. Free-time activities, airfare, or other travel are not included in the fees.

Seija
Calgary, Alberta

Connections of the Heart

Cuba was a beautiful volunteering experience and the connections created with the warm, kind, generous people of Ciego de Avila will remain with me always! Volunteering bridges cultures in amazing ways. We are such an interconnected world! I have been fortunate to travel and explore the world extensively in my life but it is through interacting through volunteerism, be it helping paint a daycare facility, gardening, teaching English, or holding sick little babies in faraway countries that I have come to realize we truly are all the same, no matter the language we speak. Helping out opens the doors to a language of the heart that is universal.

It was really so well planned but if there is even one tiny thing I would change, it would be a few more social events with the local people.

Kit
Cedar Key FL
Marymount Manhattan College

An extraordinary experience

I chose to work with local farmers on their community cooperative farms. We were told that the farmers were somewhat reluctant to allow us to work with them initially. I was certain they thought we wouldn't know what we were doing and might do more damage than good, which could potentially have an impact on their income. But, they trusted us to do good and we did! More importantly, we had plenty of time to interact with them and, even with a language barrier, there developed a sense of camaraderie and friendship. Their willingness to trust us and our obvious intentions to be helpful and respectful forged a very meaningful connection between and among us. It was a very moving and wonderful experience.

I cannot think of anything I would change. I loved it as it was when I did it.

Senovio.
Seattle Washington
Michigan State University

Sea Cuba now, before it changes

I do early morning walks everyday. One morning (5:30 AM) while walking, I saw a farmer walking his team of oxen. I asked him where his farm was and what crops he was growing. He told me his farm was just a short distance up the gravel road and that he was growing yucca. He pointed up the road and said yucca, than he pointed at his oxen and said vaca. I hesitated for a few seconds and than chuckled to myself about his little humor so early in the morning, especially when I knew that he was surely in for a long hard days work. I could not help but think about how many people anywhere in this world would be that happy to joke about hard work that early in the morning. Many days I find myself thinking about how I approach my daily work.

I would have enjoyed spending one full day with a Cuban family in their home.

louise
bethesda, md
Middlebury College

Excellent experience

Through one of our students, I made a special connection with his mother who invited me and another volunteer to her home. It was an opportunity to really see how the local people live. We were very impressed by her generosity.

Dorothy
Greensboro, NC
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Cuba - Still a Colorful Country

The visit to Cuba was instructional - it went far beyond what I was able to teach in years of university teaching of geography.
The first thing that struck me were the taxis lined up in from of our hotel -- mostly late 'fifties cars from the U.S. The 1957 Chevrolet Bel-Air seemed to be the most popular. Our ride in a convoy of them -- all convertibles -- on our last evening in Havana was a real treat. We were told that Cuban mechanics and metal fabricators have to be really creative to keep them running. They definitely keep them painted in bright colors. Cuba is a colorful country, and the music and art were impressive. The food we were served was great, but learning about the lack of availability of a variety of foods that the average Cuban can afford to buy made our food taste a little less good.. Cubans whom we met seemed friendly and open in conversations; and really wanted us to know them. A big treat was the visit to the neighborhood of Muraleando, where a grass-roots arts center has been developed and is operated entirely by volunteers. They had us dancing to their music in spite of our old knees.

I think it would have been valuable to see some of the farms -- both urban and in the countryside -- and the fruit/vegetable market in the city of Havana. This would probably require a few more days, which would be good.

Heidi
Rhode Island
Mount Holyoke College

Global Volunteers comes through again!

Just as Global Volunteers did in Vietnam 15 years ago, they provided a meaningful, intellectually stimulating, and enjoyable experience. Learning about Cuba directly from the Cubans is the right way to do it. Being in a congenial small group with a team leader and a Cuban guide who understand what GV is all about made the trip a life-changing experience for both my grandson and me. I give the experience an A+

I felt perfectly safe while in Cuba, but I have suggestions that relate to travel anywhere in the world: Passengers should stay seated using seat belts while the coach is in motion; the leaders should be aware of the danger of the sun so should always offer the option of shade; bottles of water should be readily available at all times, including when the group boards the bus after arriving at the airport.

Connie
East Greenwich, RI
Worcester State University

Cuba Lover for Life

This was the trip of a lifetime...to see Cuba with all of its beauty, culture and rustic appeal still intact before tourism really takes over.
The scenery in Ciego de Avila, Santa Clara and Moron was fabulously untouched, like stepping back in time.

Havana gets into your blood and I could have spend weeks there!
We did not visit tourist areas or beaches, it was the real bird's eye view of Cuba among the streets, cars, people and scenery of real life.

The People to People program has completed its' last run and I was glad to be a part of it. Global Volunteers will now run the program, so people will still be able to participate.

I would, in future programs, give a bit more time to travelers to set out and see something on their own time.

Also, during musical presentations, if people do not want to get up and dance, I would not make them!

Gene
Golden, CO
University of Kansas

Cuban adventure

I was disappointed by the fact we had so little time to do things on our own. Perhaps that was because the US govt required that we be scheduled for 12 hours each day. Everything was too structured.

Allow people to go off to find their own eating places on the economy so they might interact with the local Cubans more.

Iris
Mill Valley, CA
Virginia Commonwealth University

Wonderful Cuba Experience!

My one week trip to Cuba with Global Volunteers was well planned with excellent guides, comfortable accommodations, and inspiring people to people interactions, such as visits to community art projects, a theater company with performance, music venues, and interactions with Cuban students. The leader and guides were helpful, knowledgeable, and authentic which made for a great people to people experience in Cuba.

Global Volunteers, a non-profit organization, has been giving short-term volunteers the chance to provide essential services to local people on service programs since 1984 - and trusted by 33,000+ volunteers. Volunteering for one to three weeks under the direction of local leaders, team members form