Dominican Republic: Heart & Soul of the Caribbean with Discover Corps

Experience parts of the Caribbean most travelers never see. Visit the rural mountain villages that hold the true culture and history surrounded by idyllic beaches and vibrant culture. The North Coast is known for its welcoming people - step into any quaint seaside town and be immediately welcomed in like family. This is truly the Dominical Republic that tourists don't see.

On this volunteer vacation, you'll spend time on the beach but also volunteer to help impoverished communities by constructing sustainable "bottle" schools and planting organic gardens to improve overall community health. These structures teach environmental awareness, open the community to new building techniques, and provide a sense of ownership as we come together as one to work on the projects. These schools and clinics provide a much needed resource for the communities, which lack this basic infrastructure.

Stay in thatched-roof chalets with private bathrooms, a swimming pool & walking distance from the beach.

• Work with the community to build schools and medical clinics out of reusable plastic bottles
  • Snorkel over crystal blue Caribbean waters and cool off in freshwater pools of an ecological park
  • Stay in an eco-lodge built using sustainable methods are locally sourced materials
  • Meet dynamic leaders implementing cutting-edge social programs
  • Volunteer in communities of displaced Haitian immigrants known as bateys

Tiara

Ah-mazing and Eye Opening

I am so glad that my husband and I used Discover Corps for volunteer travel. I had been wanting to take a trip like this for a long time. I love to travel but I longed for the "real" experience beyond cookie cutter tourist attractions. The best part was doing something to positively impact someone's life.

The Discover Corps team made me feel that I was being taken care of from the very beginning. Jasmine was extremely helpful and informative throughout the predeparture process. Our group leaders in the DR were extremely knowledgable. We learned a lot, helped those in need, and had some fun, too! I think it can be a great bonding experience for friends, family, and couples. Upon my return home, I feel more grateful than ever for all of my blessings.

I highly recommend this trip to any and everyone! Words cannot express how much we loved it!

I would have like clean, fresh towels every other day.
Yvonne

Exceptional!!!

Our trip to the Dominican Republic was everything we hoped for. We are a big family, and my children have never really traveled internationally. We didn't know exactly what to expect, but we were enthusiastic. We were so grateful for the excellent guides we had who did everything in their power to make it a great experience for all my kids- my teenagers worked hard, interacted well despite the language "barrier" and came home so grateful for what they have. Even my little five year old worked where she could and had a great time making friends. The projects were meaningful- the interaction with local children and families was priceless, and the excursions were so much fun!

Get the word out so more people can have this experience!!!
Mindy

Mother-son trip

My 13 yo son and I went on this trip. We had a terrific experience. We enjoyed working along side local children/teens to better their communities. We learned local perspectives regarding the citizenship/residency of Haitian individuals in the DR. We enjoyed the ocean and great traditional cuisine.
We would definitely go on this trip again. I plan on taking another Discover Corp trip with my other children.

I would probably skip the Haitian market in Caraballo. I realize it does bring income to an impoverished area. I also think we could have had one more work day and one less play day. We were able to swim in the ocean every day, and that was great for us.
Shelly

Discovery Corps and the Dominican Republic

Really excellent trip! The projects being done in the DR are very well thought out. The program leader Dave is very knowledgeable and very insightful regulars in the DR issues economic, social etc! Would definitely do this program again!

About Discover Corps

Discover Corps is a new way to travel. Our authentic, off the beaten track itineraries plug travelers into the daily lives of local people.

Our team of local Program Hosts gives you unparalleled access to the lives of people and the stories of...