Volunteer in Dominican Republic | Pico Duarte: Trek for Clean Water

Realize your passion for outdoor fitness. At the same time, make a difference in the lives of people from local communities! The Pico Duarte: Trek for Clean Water is an ideal program for runners, marathoners, triathletes, hikers, adventure seekers, and movers and shakers.

Take part in a trek to the peak of Pico Duarte, the Caribbean’s tallest mountain, together with BLUE Missions and other adventure seekers. This program aims to provide families in the Dominican Republic with access to clean water and sanitation.

This trek involves a three-day hike across 27.6 miles of tropical and pine forests to reach the summit at 10,128 feet above sea level. Afterward, we will travel to the partner community that we have worked with to help locals overcome water crisis. We will spend a few hours connecting with them and then relax on the beach in the afternoon.

• Hike the tallest peak in the Caribbean while raising money for safe water and sanitation projects.
  • Go on a 3-day hike through the beautiful countryside forests of the Dominican Republic.
  • Take on the ultimate physical and mental challenge, which ends being very rewarding once you reach the summit.
  • Visit a community after the hike that has benefited from a BLUE Missions water or sanitation project.
  • Make memories you'll never forget and bond with a group of like-minded individuals who are passionate about making an impact in our world.

Amanda

Best experience ever!

This experience was a serious game-changer for me! From the moment you sign up you are met with so much support and encouragement! The trip itself was amazing, our leaders were so informative and supportive and the guides on the mountain were so friendly and helpful. I felt very safe the entire time. The hike is beautiful and yes it is a little difficult but as long as you train beforehand it is do-able! I personally recommend packing electrolytes and some altitude sickness medication just in case! Also getting to visit some of the places where BlueMissions makes its impact was so rewarding and meeting the people who are directly affected by the water crisis was very humbling. I am eternally grateful for this experience and would recommend it to anyone!

Train! And make sure you bring some altitude sickness medication, just in case!
Lucia

You can do this! BLUE can help.

The most incredible community of people who give you realistic preparation (even for beginners!) and support you before, throughout, and after your trek. Trekking Pico Duarte has been one of the most impactful experiences of my life because it was done in community. It’s not a regular trek where you typically don’t get the opportunity to do service as well. You get to trek the beautiful mountains of the Dominicans Republic in service of people who trek daily for water. If you ever wondered what the walk for water for many around the world may look like, now is your chance to make those steps count. The trek for clean water is one of the most beautiful exercises in reflection, empathy, and hard work. Trekking Pico Duarte was the most amazing way to start my New Year and I promise you won’t regret it!

Don’t be afraid of the distance or if you can’t keep up with a certain pace! BLUE does an amazing job of making sure everyone treks and their own pace. You got this!
Alexandra

If you're waiting for a sign, this is it.

I had the incredible opportunity to be a participant on the January 2018 Pico Duarte Trek. This was by far one of the BEST things I have ever done. It was something I had never done before (hiking for 3 days) but this experience pushed me out of my comfort zone and allowed me to truly understand how rewarding it is to accomplish something you never thought you would. If you are on the fence about wanting to go, trust me, GO! You won't get a chance to experience something like this AND give back to a great cause at the same time! And if you've never done a blue mission trip before, not only do you get to become an expert hiker, but you get to also visit an amazing campo and meet some of the kindest souls you'll ever come across! What are you waiting for?!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
The most surprising thing I did was share a tent with 3 complete strangers and actually enjoy it!
Bianca

Most rewarding experience

Participating in BLUE Mission’s Pico Duarte trek was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. This 3 day trek was challenging but well worth it. The support from the BLUE team throughout this experience, and the meaning and self awareness discovered during this trip is overwhelming in the best way possible. I learned a lot about myself and how much I am capable of. Along with the amazing experiences and memories I took away from this trip, the BLUE team also provided the opportunity to visit a local campo. I experienced first hand the long-lasting impact the BLUE team had left in this community by building an aqueduct. The community was so grateful for the generosity of BLUE and shared stories on how their impact had changed and eased their quality of life. It was so humbling to experience this and I could not be more thankful to BLUE Missions for giving me the opportunity to take part in this amazing experience. Highly recommend!

Pack warm, bring snacks, leave your worries at home and fully immerse yourself in this experience! You won’t regret it!

About BLUE Missions

BLUE Missions is a clean water charity and non-profit organization headquartered in Miami, FL, dedicated to ending the global water crisis. Our mission is to connect communities to clean water and improved sanitation while cultivating a generation of...