Summer 2017: High School Programs Thailand

Summer 2017: High School Programs Thailand

Join Rustic Pathways in Thailand, where we’ve been running cultural immersion and service adventures for over 15 years. Thailand boasts a wide variety of programs ranging from one to three weeks long. Students can choose one program or easily connect programs across the country and Southeast Asia. Whether you are looking to immerse yourself in rural village life, learn about elephant conservation, or have an island hopping adventure, you’re bound to find an ideal experience in Thailand.

“When you go and you stay in a small village and learn how people live, it stays with you. You don’t take anything for granted anymore and you’ll never see things the same.”
--Brian Haggerty, Thailand Country Director

Asia » Thailand
Guesthouse
Hotel
Costs vary depending on program and does not include international airfare.

Students traveling from the United States will travel on our escorted group flight from the United States, international participants can choose to take our group flight from the USA or arrange their own airfare.

This trip is very safe! Base houses are owned by RP, so it's is completely RP-Staffed. Trips that are not in base houses are still very safe and there will always be RP staff with you. I have never felt unsafe on any of my Rustic Trips.

Olivia
Brooklyn, NY

The Land of Smiling People- Thailand

I traveled with Rustic Pathways for the first time this summer and spent a month in Thailand. I made so many friends from all different parts of the world and my perspectives on happiness and friendship were changed forever. Getting the opportunity to sit down with Thai children and engage them in English vocabulary and make a strong connection with a person who doesn't speak my own language was mind blowing. We may not have spoken the same language, but friendship is able to transcend all barriers. I loved being able to bond with so many new people who were all compassionate, caring people. Also, the program leaders were so amazing and were a large reason to why I had an amazing summer being that I got sick and had to go to the hospital twice and they were extremely professional. During my program, I was able to to see how kindness is the best medicine and how it can really change a life for the better. I only learned these extremely important lessons because I traveled with Rustic Pathways, and I will always be grateful to have had that opportunity.

Lucy
Westchester, New York

Thai Elephant Conservation Project

The Thai Elephant Conservation Project was my first program that I had done with Rustic. To be honest, I was very nervous because a few weeks prior to my Rustic program, I had done a different service program with a different company. It was not a good experience to say the least. I won't get into it, but because of my experience with that company, I was very nervous. I was also nervous, because I would be traveling across the world with a group of people that I've never met before. The only other time that I had gone to Asia, I was with my school for an exchange program and had my sister and my friends with me the whole time. Lastly, since I'm deathly allergic to nuts, I was worried that I would have an allergic reaction. But, I was really worried about nothing, because Rustic was so amazing and I had a life-changing experience.

Right when I got to the airport, our flight leader made sure that everyone knew each other's names and played a lot of ice breaker games. I don't know how, but I became friends with the people on my program before we even stepped foot in Thailand. So, my worry about going to the other side of the world with strangers disappeared, because it was like I had known all the students for the longest time.

Rustic was also so helpful and accommodating with my nut allergy. My program leaders already knew that I was allergic to nuts and there was not a single nut in any of the food options. In addition, the program leaders carried med kits with them at all times and there was an epi-pen in the med kits just in case. It was amazing that Rustic went out of their way to make sure that I wouldn't get an allergic reaction and feel safe eating anything.

With my actual time at the elephant sanctuary, it felt like I was in a dream. I was doing things that I never dreamed of doing. Ever got assigned a partner randomly and an elephant with their respective mahouts (elephant handlers). Within the first 10 minutes of meeting our mahouts, they were already joking around with us and teaching us everything about elephants. We got to ride elephants, bathe them in the river twice a day, feed them sugar cane, corn, and potatoes, and, of course, clean up their poop. It was one of the coolest experiences in my life. I will never forget how amazing it was getting up on Red Moon, my elephant, for the first time and seeing the world from so high up.

One of my favorite days was when everyone rode their elephants into the jungle. On the way there, my partner, my mahout, and I were singing at the top of out lungs and having the time of our lives. We got to the jungle and everything was so peaceful. We hiked to a waterfall and swam. We collected bamboo to make cups and plates. We had a huge bonfire where we danced, sang, and played games around the fire. Lastly, we slept under the stars with elephants all around us. I don't think many people can say that and it just shows how in every Rustic program, the students do once in a lifetime experiences.

In addition to just riding the elephants, we got to make paper out of elephant poop. We went to the night markets and mall. Mostly though, we did a lot of conservation work. There were group discussions about the poaching and logging industries and how we can work to end them. We planted grass and sugarcane for the elephants to eat in the future, and spent an afternoon in the elephant hospital to see how the people at the conservation center take care of the elephants and help them if they need it. I loved how we didn't just ride the elephants all day, we did an array of conservation work to make a lasting effect of our time in Thailand.

By the end of the 11 day program, I was an certified amateur mahout, I made some amazing friends that I still keep in touch with to this day, I learned what mahouts dedicate their lives to caring for elephants, and I got to have a connection and bond with an animal I thought I would never have. I could not have asked for a better trip and Rustic has forever changed my life. I would not be where I am as a person without Rustic. I was a leader, a change maker, a person that was heard. I am forever grateful for the opportunity and experience that Rustic gave me.

Devon
Connecticut

Life on the Margin!!!

Thailand is named the land of smiles for a reason. My eighteen days on Life on the Margin were filled with laughter, dancing, incredible stories, and debrief sessions. This trip is definitely for people who love to engage in intellectual conversations, have a love for children, and are open to a new lifestyle for the duration of the trip. Over the course of our trip we were able to dissect global issues, our surroundings, and ourselves, while still being silly when dancing in the back of Songthaew's, or sliding around in the mud when playing soccer with local children. We engaged in a mutual exchange of culture with the children we lived with in the base house, children we taught, and children we played with. This trip is for anybody who has an interest in global issues, a love for service, and a desire to explore the roots of Karen culture. Learn to embrace a culture different to anything you have experienced, embrace the dirt, and embrace all the new friendships! I have been on multiple Rustic Pathways trips, and the more service the closer your group with become. Laugh with your new friends as you stuff your face with amazing noodles, slip in the mud, and rock some elephant pants with crazy colored crocs. Get to know the amazing staff as you sit crossed legged around the table eating amazing food, while you are surrounded by the gorgeous rice patty fields. Don't forget your bug spray, water bottle, and a journal to document the amazing trip!

I wish the program was longer, and that the first week our group was more separate from other Rustic groups.

Nicoline
Boulder, Co

Life on the Margin

Signing up for the Life on the Margin trip in Thailand was quite possibly the best thing I've ever done for myself. The experiences I had teaching, doing service work, discussing, and getting to know the local Karen people were suprising, enlightening, fun, and educational is every way. I didn't expect to learn so much about myself and how my place in the world connects to those overseas. I left the beautiful country of Thailand with a newfound sense of community and the love of all my friends, despite us being scattered all over the world. I would recommend this program to anyone who is seeking an impactful experience and isn't afraid of a little cement or a few chickens. My biggest piece of advice to anyone going to travel is to just let loose and be open. I have always been afraid of the uncontrollable but I had so much more fun when I was able to throw my hands in the air and sing, share my ideas, and be in the moment. The thing I remember most is the fun times I had with my group. Thankfully we were only 9 and that allowed to all become close quickly. Time flies before your eyes and you may not remember the views of the mountains forever, but you will remember embarrassing yourselves singing Taylor Swift songs in front of a group of Burmese students who are far more talented than you. Mishaps always turn into the best memories and the funniest stories stories to share with friends and family. If I could go back I don't think I would change a single thing about my trip. While this program does involve a hefty dose of discussion based learning I wouldn't trade my experience for anything else.

Longer!!! The general consensus of our group felt that we could dive deeper into the issues we were learning amount and make more impactful, deeper connections with the locals if we had more time. I would also recommend that the leaders start the "debriefs" earlier in the evening as they often ran until 10:30-11:00 at night.

Sophia
New York

Southeast Asian Adventurer

This summer I went on the trip of a lifetime! Spending time in both Thailand and Laos, I ziplined across waterfalls, belayed down cliff faces, boated down the Mekong, saw river dolphins, and most importantly met the most incredible people. The leaders were all wonderful, each with great stories to share and advice to give, and everyone was so friendly. The trip was excellently organized (like clockwork) and the Base House was amazing!! Definitely pack for two weeks of adventure (bring athletic shorts!!) but do not overpack (I made that mistake). This trip opened my eyes to all the adventure that is out there, and since returning I have been so much more active!! I would 10/10 recommend this program to all adventure and travel lovers.

Improve the packing list, as it could have been more specific. Other than that nothing!!

Cailley

Elephants and Amazing Thailand

Traveling across the world alone is scary. You don't know anybody, you don't know what to expect, you're visiting another country with a different culture, and the food is weird. But what people don't think about is that everybody is thinking the same thing. Nobody knows what is going to happen during the two and a half weeks, and that is what makes it such an adventure.

This past summer, I traveled from New York City to Frankfurt to Singapore to Bangkok to Chaing Mai, with a group of 25 other girls and 1 boy. During those 45 hours of travel, I had no idea that I would meet some of my best friends in the world. Everybody was kind, loving, cared about the environment, cared about all cultures and all people, and genuinely wanted to spend every waking moment living in the present time.

My group spent one whole week living on the Thai Elephant Conservation Center, where we trained to be mahouts. We were each paired with a partner, an elephant, and a professional mahout (or elephant caretaker). My elephant's name was Boon Mee, and my mahout's name was P. Neuk. During those six days, I learned so much from a man who I did not speak one word of the same language as. P. Neuk taught me and my partner to love ourselves, everybody, and everything around us. He taught us to care for our surroundings and be happy ALL THE TIME! We woke up every morning and retrieved our elephants from the jungle and brought them to a nearby body of water where we would give them their baths. Then we would ride them back to the TECC, and spend a day in beautiful Lampang, Thailand, before repeating the bathing schedule during the evening. My time at the TECC was life changing, and I could not be more thankful for P. Neuk and Boon Mee for teaching me how to cherish every moment in life.

For the second week of the trip, my group traveled all around Thailand visiting Buddhist temples, museums, waterfalls, and much more. My favorite moment of the entire two weeks that I was away was the day that we visited a Buddhist Monastery in the mountains. I remember being told that the climb to the monastery was over 500 steps. The whole group groaned and we were all dreading the day that we had to walk up all those stairs. But when we got there and started walking, I noticed that there were signs up against all of the trees that had Buddhist quotes about suffering and sacrifice, making me think about everything differently. The steps were torturous, but reading the quotes made it worth it and so did the destination at the top. When we arrived at the monastery, I remember seeing the hundreds of Buddhas lining the inside of the main area. I remember seeing pictures of renowned monks hanging from all the walls. At the time that we were there, it was a very important Buddhist holiday and all of the Buddhists were visiting the temples and monasteries to pay their respects to Buddha and monks. On this day we got to meditate with a monk at the top of a beautiful mountain in the middle of Thailand. I will never forget how surreal it felt to be meditating with a man who devoted his entire life to following the footsteps of Buddha while sitting in a place so breathtaking and unknown, listening to him speak Thai words and feel like I knew what he was saying even though there was such a barrier between us.

Thailand changed my life, and it will change yours to. I truly cannot say that I disliked any moment of this trip, no matter how hot and humid it was. Please travel to Thailand and experience the same amount of wonder that I did this summer!

More discussion about the difference between cultural elephant preservation and environmental elephant preservation.

Savannah
Colorado

Children's Home and Elephant Sanctuary Project

If you're thinking about going on this trip, you should. Going to Thailand was my first time traveling out of the country, and I was hardly nervous. RP staff makes it so easy and comfortable to travel, and upon arrival I felt immediately welcomed. The Children's Home is the most amazing place that I have ever been. The people and staff there are by far the best people I have ever had the opportunity to meet. They love genuinely and are eager to make new friends and build relationships. On one of the first service projects we did, we stayed over night at a school. This night we talked about some of the misconceptions we had about the country. It was amazing to see how many people were warned to "wear their backpacks on the front of their bodies" and "be extra careful of your valuables" because of an inaccurate stereotype of Thai people as untrustworthy. It seems many of us came with the impression that because we had more than someone else, they would undoubtedly want, and try to get whatever we had that they don't. Besides the fact that on this trip I learned that my perceptions of having "more" are very different from others, and that just because I have before seen my life as "better" than those who have less, doesn't mean that is the case, I learned that people are good. From my experience, Thai people seem to be some of the most trustworthy people. Some even leave stores unlocked at night, and invite strangers into their homes with open arms. It's almost as if those who gave us the
"advice" to be extra cautious, actually had no idea what they were talking about. I felt so safe here, and at peace more so than I do back home. Leaving the Children's Home was one of the hardest things I have ever done, I think that it truly may be magical.
Although leaving was hard, the Elephants were worth it. Spending a week learning about and helping care for and understand elephants and their role in Thai culture was amazing. It became clear that though these are still not ideal conditions for the animals, it is the best we can do. Love and learn and protect. The hotel was fantastic, and it was so neat to interact with the Mahouts and learn more about their lifestyle. We also had many other excursions on this trip, such as going to temples, white water rafting, and visiting markets. This trip was the most unique and beneficial learning experience I have ever had the privilege of being a part of, and I fully and whole-heartedly recommend it.

At the Sanctuary, we were taught about what is and isn't natural for the elephants, and although some sacrifices must be made that are not always the greatest option, rustic students were offered the opportunity to ride the elephants, which I believe ti be extremely unnecessary and also confusing, as we were learning what was best for them. I can say now that what is best for them is not to have kids hop on for a quick photo-shoot, but to have kids understand why we need to treat the animals with respect. However the sanctuary is doing most everything else perfectly to ensure a safe environment for the animals.

Callie

Come with Nothing, Go Home Rich: Mekong Expedition 2017

At first, this program seemed daunting; coming with only a small carry-on for 25 days halfway around the world? Sounds crazy, especially in a culture where checking a large suitcase for a week's getaway at a resort is the norm. But on this trip I not only used every single item I packed, which was a first for me, but I also came home with so many more experiences than I would have had with a checked suitcase.
One of the highlights of the trip was definitely visiting the local markets, particularly the ones hidden from tourists. Although the stench of the meat sitting out in the sun will never leave me, neither will the feeling of experiencing local life when bargaining to buy towels, t-shirts, and crocs. I felt most like a local in those markets, wandering through the alleyways surrounded by local food. I was able to get all of the necessities at these markets, the first of which I visited on the second day, so anyone concerned about the lack of necessities from home will soon find satisfaction with a whole new bag filled with clothes.
The village life is primarily focused on the service, which consists of two three hour sections each day. Prepare to work with a lot of cement in the sun for hours on end. Despite this description, service days were some of the most memorable because sometimes the local children will come and join you to assist in your service. At one point we had about 40 children in an assembly line bringing sand up a hill.
This program allows you to experience a variety of tourist attractions as well, such as the White Temple, the Black House, night markets, a mountain and waterfall, and wonderful Thai massages. Flexibility is required on this trip however, as the itinerary can change quickly. As you bond with a small group of people you grow accustomed to the exotic fruits, squatty potties, and bucket showers that soon feel normal to you.
I highly recommend this program to adventurous students who enjoy connecting with others, the satisfaction of hard work, and immersing themselves in a completely foreign culture. The rewards I reaped from this program were truly priceless and I would have been unable to experience what I did anywhere else in the world and for that I am grateful.

Fixing the European packing lists, which were different from the more current US website packing list.

Alex
USA

Ricefields, Monks, and Smiling Children

The program, overall , was an excellent opportunity. From the first moment I set foot upon the Ricefields base, the staff was wonderful. The programs, the food, the lodgings, and the activities all exceeded expectations.

Be careful about the side trip options, however. Though we were told we would have 5 options on the website, we were presented only two at onsite, which was determined via popular vote. The trip itself was also somewhat poorly managed, with little communication.

However, the trip was fun overall, and provided me with memories that will last a lifetime.

The side trip could be managed better, with the options actually provided being placed on the website.

New York

Children's Home and Elephant Sanctuary

This trip was amazing and impacted me in ways I didn't expect. It was the perfect combination of learning, service, sight seeing, and activities. It was a great experience to be able to connect with children who don't speak your language, while also working to improve the lives of elephants. Our group recognized that the Sappraiwan Elephant Sanctuary did not provide the best care for elephants, so we changed our itinerary in order to fix that. It was cool to be able to do what we wanted by working on a project we all cared about. If you have the opportunity to go on this trip, I really suggest doing it because it changed my life.

The leaders should be more equipped with the right medication to treat people who get sick.

Josephine
Nashville, TN

Ricefields, Monks, and Smiling Children

I want to start by saying that Rustic Pathways has truly impacted and changed my life forever. I've traveled to both Fiji (I did the Sun, Sand, and International Service program) and Thailand (Ricefields, Monks, and Smiling Children) which were eye opening experiences for me where my perspective of the world completely changed. I highly recommend traveling with Rustic Pathways.
For my program in Thailand, I stayed at the base house in Udon Thani and it was unbelievable. It was absolutely beautiful, always clean, and I felt perfectly safe. Both in the mornings and afternoons, we had the option of 3-4 service projects, usually construction in the morning and a variety in the afternoon. I loved them all! The two that stood out to me the most were Welcome Homes and Teaching and Tutoring.
For the project of Welcome Homes, we built a house for a woman whose home had been completely destroyed by termites and was currently living in quite a small shack. I loved this project because I could actually see the impact I was making in the community. I got to see the improvements we were making on the house as well as see the expression on the woman's face as we were doing it. As I was talking to her, I could tell that she was truly grateful for what we were doing.
For the project of Teaching and Tutoring, we traveled to a local school and I had the opportunity to teach 3rd graders flowers in English. They were absolutely adorable! Although this was very challenging because the kids barely spoke English, I noticed how passionate they are for learning and how grateful they are for the opportunity to go to school.
I highly recommend this trip if you are looking to break out of your comfort zone, immerse yourself in a new culture, and experience incredible opportunities.

More time with the Thai children!

girl in colorful shirt standing in dark
Sydney

Come with Nothing, Go Home Rich

This trip was everything I could have asked for, but it became even more. Within those three weeks, my mindset on life evolved and I learned values I had never considered. I went with the intention to do community service to better the lives of others, and through this experience I bettered my own. I could go on to tell you my favorite memory, but what is more important is what your future memories can and will consist of: never ending laughter and new friends made, stimulation of your mind and what it means to be who you are, times of fear and even sadness, the growth from low moments, and my favorite, the visible change in your mind and you as a human being from the start of the trip to its finish, because it will happen. Now, all of these may be quite broad, but that's only because I don't want to tell you what I've learned, I want you to experience them yourself. The take away from this rant, quite simply is, go on this trip, and brace yourself for the time of your life! it will change you, and all for the better.

Less down time!

Hannah
California, United States

Children's Home and Elephant Sanctuary

This trip has completely changed me, and I am so happy that it did. Before this trip I was so ungrateful for my education and would most often than not, dread going to school. Seeing how limited the Thai people were to education changed my beliefs forever. When I first arrived the Kapuang School, my heart filled with love when I saw all of the students for the first time. All of the students had the biggest smile on their faces and you could see how much determination they had to learn. This experience of teaching at this school actually made me realize that I wanted to be a teacher. Making education available to everyone is now one of my main priorities because it is so important to having a good life. On another note, waking up at the Children's Home every single day put a smile on my face. Whether it was playing kane ball with the locals or singing and playing the guitar with the leaders, I had a smile on my face the whole entire time. I don't think I have ever been that happy. Another component that made my trip much better was being able to disconnect from my phone. I am usually always attached to my phone, and not having to worry about it for 3 weeks made me a much more relaxed person. I recommend everyone to turn off their phones on any Rustic trip, because it betters your experience. I made so many strong friendships on this trip with all of the leaders and I am so grateful and happy to have been able to meet all of the people tha I met. Although when arriving to the Elephant Sanctuary I was very shocked, I still had an amazing experience. A 4-star hotel was not what I was expecting but it was nice to have an actual shower! If you are looking for a more "rustic" trip (as in roughing it, or homestays) I would not recommend the elephant sanctuary for you. But if you are a first time traveler, it may be very comforting!

The only thing I would change is banning the usage of phones because they are a distraction.

Sandra
New Canaan, Connecticut

Children's Home

This was a completely new experience for me as it was my first trip traveling by myself. It started off organized once I got to the airport since I could see everyone in their Rustic t-shirts. Like most people, I was nervous to go because I did not know what to expect. However, my trip started out well before I even got to Thailand because I made long lasting friends at the airport. Once we got to Thailand, we took a 4 hour drive to the Children's home. This was not a dreadful drive, however, because the scenery was amazing. We were able to drive through the city and see the different culture right away. Once we got to the Children's Home, my first impression was how beautiful it was. The place itself was urrounded by rice fields and mountains. The Children's Home has bamboo huts which people sleep in and there's a main area where people get to socialize and do many different things like play soccer.
The best part of all was getting a buddy from the Children's Home. I got to spend time with her such as going to the local market or helping her with English. Today, I still keep in touch with her. Not only did we get a buddy but we also taught classes one day which was an incredible experience. It was really fun to see what the schools were like and getting the chance to help the children with English. They all giggled and smiled during their whole lesson. My favorite part was when we taught them games such as "Down by the Banks" or "Duck Duck Goose" because they loved to be able to go outside and play while still learning.
Overall, I would definitely recommend this program because it is an unforgettable experience. The different culture I got to experience and the people I met through this program made it a life-changing trip. I'll never forget all the special memories that I had at the Children's Home in Thailand.

I would've wanted to have more free time with the people on my program

Donna
CT

Thailand

My trip to Thailand was amazing to say the least. The trip was extremely fun and unforgettable. My favorite part was seeing a different part of the world that I am usually not in and experiencing the unique Thai culture. The food was delicious, I even tried eating a cricket, yum! The views were spectacular, I loved the beaches. Also, the children in Thailand were kind and cooperative. Thailand was one of the best experiences of my life. I highly suggest this trip to others!

Darian
Smithtown, NY

Best Experience of my Life

With Rustic Pathwyas, I chose the Elephants and Amazing Thailand Program. Working with the elephants each day was the most amazing experience I ever had; they're peaceful and loving, let alone gentle and amazing. I bonded with my elephant, Tantawan. Waking up early every morning with her was a blessing and I'm humbled to have had this experience.

There were many things in the itinerary that were not part of our program.

Kai
Tokyo, Japan

Great Life Experience

The kids at the children's home were all amazing. They were eager to meet you, talk to you, and get to know you. Every night we would have dinner with them, and it was great time to get an idea of their lifestyles. The counselors as well were all amazing. Some were fresh out of college, but this just meant they were that much more excited to be there. I saw the counselors more as fellow camp members, but when it came to travel somewhere or do something, they were authoritative and proper. Overall the entire experience was memorable and humbling: Memorable because of all the new people I met, and humbling because of the kids I met at the home.

Jennifer
Anacortes, WA

Island Hopping in Thailand

Our son took a Rustic Pathways trip to Thailand in July, 2015 for the first time. He absolutely loved it and was very impressed with the program and the chaperone/guides. He can be quite critical when it comes to group activities and teacher/guide skills and had nothing but great things to say about his experience. He loved it so much that he wanted to sign up for next summer as soon as possible! He will be traveling to Peru for two different programs in 2016!

Can't think of anything to improve, Andrew did not mention any negatives.

Sam
newport beach CA

Perfect

3 weeks before I left for thailand my mom texted me out of the blue saying she had just seen a magazine for a travel program and and asked me if i wanted to go to thailand 3 weeks from then. To me this was crazy I've never been any were outside of america other than europe and in such short notice too. I didnt want to because i was so nervous but was convinced to do it and it was the best decision of my life. Definitely the most amazing week of my life!

not much too be fixed. more freetime? maybe seeing more sights

Parents
Canada
University of Alberta

Loving the Thailand Adventure

My daughter who is 16 years old and the third one of our children to do a Rustic Pathways trip when they turn 16. She thought the kind people, fun staff, learning about Thai culture and Budism were highlights in her 2 week Thailand adventure. Waking up in the morning to go and take of your elephant and the other students she became close with will provide lasting memories.

Emma's one criticism would be the service hours were weak. She would of liked to have done more service and more meaningful service. Having said this, we realize this was not one of the more service oriented trips.

Laurel
Laguna Beach, CA

How to Fall in Love

I left for Thailand with a duffel bag of clothing and return plane ticket for a week later. When I arrived at the Ricefields Base, I knew that neither one of those was going to be enough. I set aside some money for laundry, and called my mom to let her know that I needed to be in Thailand for not one week, but two.
I made that call to my mom only 3 days after I got to Ricefields. In just 3 days, I had fallen in love with the Base, with my new friends, with the entire rustic staff, and of course, with Thailand. After we set up my extension, I was off to Bangkok on a side trip with some of my new friends. Little did I know, that side trip would bring me so close to them that I would be buying plane tickets to New York to visit them when I got home. When I parted ways with my friends in the Bangkok airport, I cried until after I got on the plane alone. Then I opened up my envelope of notes that they had written to me the night before and cried again. Sincerest apologies to the flight attendant that had to keep bringing me tissues.
I only spent 2 weeks in Thailand, but it felt like 3 months, and honestly, it wasn't quite long enough. I completed 4 different community service projects, and received my Wilderness First Aid Certification, and I still feel like there's more that I could have done.
In the end, it's good to be home and eating something other than the amazing Thai food from base (a white girl misses her Starbucks!), but next summer, my friends from Bangkok and I will be running wild in Cuba, making more memories together, and falling in love with Rustic Pathways just a little bit more.

More American food! I would have paid millions of dollars for some ranch dressing during my trip.

Mariela
Miami, Florida

The Hill Tribe and Refugee Camp Experience

We taught English, carried endless buckets of cement and dirt, ate the strangest of fruits, but most important of all we were engulfed into a new world. Thailand's world along with the Burmese one. My perspective and outlook on life changed. I realized that I should be more grateful for the easy life I have led, that I should appreciate technology much more, and that people no matter how different are still the same and can still laugh together.

I would not allow the second one weekers to overlap with the two weekers because it was difficult to get to know them and not all the campers were bonding together.

Michelle
Larkspur, California

Thailand Base Camp

When I went to Thailand I was very scared because I knew no one. As I arrived on a Son-thaow I was welcomed with open-arms. All the staff were so kind and the Burmese staff make the trip. Day-to-day we work hard with having AM and PM services which range from 2-3 hours per shift. Every service project has a purpose to improve the lives of the Thai people whether its teaching them english or making them lunches. Being on a base camp makes you feel very safe and at home. I shared a room with 6 Girls which is an experience of its own. Throughout my trip I made amazing friends and amazing experiences. I highly recommend traveling with Rustic Pathways.

I would make more variety of service activities.

Andie
San Jose, CA
Miami University

WORTH IT!

I went on my first rustic pathway trip as a senior in high school and it was the most eyeopening thing I could ever do. I ended up changing my major in college and am now looking for more opportunities like these to participate in in the future. Their staff is friendly and made me feel safe and that I was actually making a difference, while having loads of fun at the same time. It might be a bit on the pricey side but it is definitely worth it. Wish I was able to attend more of these trips before college.

I wish that the free time back at base could be longer because at the activities you don't get to socialize with everyone, and once you get back and washed up and dinner is over, then it's lights out.. Even though I totally needed the sleep just wished I could have had the opportunity to socialize with more people doing these programs

Callie
Belfast, Maine

Life changing experience

My time in Thailand with Rustic was unforgettable. It was my first time out of the states ever. I felt incredibly safe and immersed in the culture all at the same time during my entire trip. Every day I learned something new or had a new interaction with a local or elephant. I got to go to the children's home, teach at locals schools, visit a refugee camp, go white water rafting, try new food, go to an elephant retreat, visit local markets, learn to make bamboo products, weaving, learn Thai culture, and so much more. I can't explain how much this trip has impacted my life and the way I see the world.

I would have liked to teach the local children more.

Sabrina
New York City

Amazing

This summer I did three programs with Rustic Pathways in Thailand. I started off with Island Hopping and Diving, then I did Intro to Community Service, then I did the Wilderness First Responder Course. In total, I spent a total of five weeks in Thailand with Rustic. It was by far the best summer of my life. The staff, the other students, and the activities were all amazing. Island Hopping and Diving was the perfect adventure trip and I recommend it to anyone who is looking for an adrenaline trip. For the last two programs I spent my time at the Ricefields base. The Ricefields base was amazing to say the least the service projects are not only meaningful but they are also fun and everyone their makes you feel at home. There is a cafe there run by Burmese staff and they are the most amazing people you will ever meet. Durning my stay at the Ricefields I got sick and ended up spending the night at the hospital (it was very nice). There was staff with me the whole time and everyone at Ricefields even signed a get well card for me. I am already planning my next sumer with rustic and I am even trying to go back to the Ricefields base. I would honestly recommend rustic to anyone.

its honestly amazing

Lynn
Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

Amazing

The Ricefields Base and the classroom facilities for my program was absolutely great. I was definitely never hungry as there was always snacks provided. The itinerary was also contained a good balance of learning, service, and free time. Finally, the staff were extremely friendly, especially the Burmese staff.

Personally, for my program, I definitely wished that there was more service time or interactions with kids. In addition to that, although it is understandable that because my program was to learn WFA, we would spend most of our time at the base. However, I think it would've been nice to be able to have more excursions in order to interact with and learn more about the local community.

Jess
Durban, South Africa

The Beauty that is Rustic Pathways Thailand

The nerves that I experienced going into this trip cannot be described, I knew no one and I did not know what to expect. The first reason for my nerves was completely irrational, I made best friends that I am closer with (in the space of one week) than my friends back home that I have known for years. Placed in a situation where no one knows each other, that's when your true self comes out as you look for those who are similar to you. I never realized how in sync I could be with a girl who lives in a completely different continent and how relatable another from, again, a completely different continent. The making of these two incredible friends is something that I will always thank Rustic Pathways for. As much as I made two close friends, we had a group of us that were constantly together. Every night we played Uno and told different stories of our life, as well as, laughing at many different slang words from our relative countries. The second reason for my nerves was completely correct, I had no idea that his trip would be so enjoyable and heart touching. With the relaxed environment in which you stay there is mo stress and you are truly able to embrace all that is around you. You learn things from religion, food, how to help others in the most beneficial way and about culture. It was beautiful and I am so grateful to have experienced what I did and been given the opportunity to go.

I'm sorry, this program is perfect.

Sarah
Boise, Idaho

At Rustic, I was the me I wanted to be.

This is one of my greatest life experiences and I would recommend it to anyone looking for adventure. I felt very safe and had an incredible time, but found joy in giving to the community as well. Though we worked during the days, the nights were packed with fun activities such as Hong Night Out or Thai Massage. The staff was approachable and very young/hip. The Laos weekend trip is very worth the money. You will visit even more scenic landscape than in Thailand and get the more touristy side.

I feel the rules should be a little less strict and the staff more friendly than enforcer-like. I felt like they didn't completely trust me even though I was not doing anything suspicious/wrong. Only towards the end did I really form bonds with the staff. They did a great job.

Tabor
Denver, Co

Elephants and Amazing Thailand

Traveling to Southeast Asia several times prior to my Rustic Trip, I didn't think I would be that surprised to see a familiar place and familiar faces. However the Rustic events and in depth detail of the day to day itinerary opened my eyes to a new place. A new side of Asia I hadn't seen before and I still love it but even more now. I had the joy of a lifetime this summer and wish I wasn't turning older or would definitely be saving up for a new trip. I remember being very scared at first on my safety for my trip, but for newcomers, there wasn't a single second that I felt unsafe on the trip. The leaders all know what they are doing and know their way all around the specific places we travel to! It was one of the best trips of my life and I will NEVER forget a single second of it.

Better communication between the Thai and other leaders. There was very much confusion at times on what the day would hold.

Travel and volunteer abroad with Rustic Pathways to one of many exotic locations.

We take students on unique, rewarding, and safe programs to some of the world's friendliest and fascinating countries. Immerse yourself in a new culture, work on purposeful community service projects, and expand