Volunteer & Protect Ocean Wildlife in Ecuador

Blue and white hanging hammocks on sunny terrace
Blue and white hanging hammocks on sunny terrace
a palm tree in front of the ocean in ecuador
a palm tree in front of the ocean in ecuador

Learn a new language, get hands-on experience protecting endangered marine life, and take part in restoration initiatives....all while exploring the Galapagos or learning to surf in Ecuador's most beautiful coastal locations!

As an NGO Taxi volunteer, you will experience unparalleled insight into Ecuadorian culture through a life-changing volunteering experience, while partaking in exciting adventure tours and polishing your Spanish skills. Our programs are an amazing way to connect with nature while protecting some of the rarest species of flora and fauna on Earth.

Our oceans and marine wildlife need us now more than ever - join us!

• Many of our programs include intensive Spanish courses– a great way to boost your language skills.
  • Most of our programs last a minimum of 4 weeks, giving you time to truly integrate into the community and develop your skills.
  • We run programs year-round, starting on the 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month.
  • Several of our ocean programs include FREE excursions and dive certification or surf courses!
  • 24/7 in-country support

Impact

We at NGO Taxi seek to provide long-term, sustainable solutions to serious problems affecting our oceans today. Our projects focus on rehabilitating marine wildlife and habitats that have been affected by pollution, educating local residents about the effects of marine plastic pollution and how they can be a force of prevention, and providing isolated communities with access to necessities such as clean water, education, and therapy.

NGO Taxi Also Offers Spanish Courses!

Our Spanish courses are an amazing opportunity to gain invaluable language skills, while immersing yourself in vibrant South American culture!

We offer courses for everyone, from beginners to professionals.

Popular Programs

surfandvolunteer0

Help us protect the coast of South America from the devastation of plastic pollution! On this program, you will rescue and rehabilitate injured marine wildlife, help support local artists, oversee local educational initiatives to stop plastic pollution, and learn to surf in one of South America’s best surf spots!

Volunteers in the Galapagos

Experience some of the most amazing and diverse wildlife in the world! At Camp Darwin, you will work to protect farmers from invasive species and restore native flora, while helping isolated communities. Along with plant conservation and farming, you will provide local disabled children with horseback therapy and entertain and educate local children who come to the camp.

Alyssa

Surf & Help Camp

I chose this project because I thought that Ecuador would be a great change to my regular cold and mountainous atmosphere. But what appealed to me about this project was how well it aligned with my interests. This project is the perfect opportunity to combine important, local conservation work and my university studies while being able to have a unique cultural exchange. I feel extremely lucky that I was able to find this project on such short notice. NGO Taxi was extremely efficient and communicative in the application and placement process even with us being on two different continents. What I love most about this project is the variety of work you get to do. The other volunteers and I do all kinds of work with the Ministry of the Environment. Just a few of the things that we do are feeding penguins, building Sea Turtle egg enclosures, rehabilitating animals brought into the facility, and cleaning up plastic and other trash from different beaches. It definitely never gets boring. Every day is something different and keeps it fun and interesting no matter how long you are volunteering for. I also find that I’ve been learning a lot more than I was expecting. It’s not just us coming in and doing a bunch of work and leaving. I really get to interact with the different people that work there or even visitors. It’s the perfect opportunity to network, spread the project’s message and work on my Spanish language skills. Plus, they are really invested in teaching you why you are doing every little job or task. They want you to leave the project with more knowledge and personal growth than when you came in. Overall, not only is my project with NGO Taxi a great chance for professional growth, it has given me the platform to pursue work I am passionate about.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
We got to rehabilitate and release an Albatros bird which are one of my favorites and most people rarely get to see them at all in their lifetime!