Affordable Volunteer Programs in Ecuador from $290

Affordable Volunteer Programs in Ecuador from $290

Volunteers are needed in Ecuador to join a range of highly affordable projects for durations ranging from 1 week to 24 weeks. Based in the capital city of Quito, volunteers are welcomed to assist on a range of community-driven projects. Volunteers are accommodated in volunteer houses alongside other international volunteers. While Spanish is not required in order to participate on the program, volunteers can enjoy taking discounted Spanish lessons during their time on the program.

IVHQ Volunteer Projects Available in Ecuador:

• Teaching English
  • Street Children Work
  • School Support Program
  • Summer Project
  • Kindergarten Project
  • Administration Support

• Programs available year-round, starting on the first and third Monday each month
  • Program fees include airport pick-up, orientation, accommodation, meals and 24/7 in-country support
  • Highly affordable program fees from $290 for 1 week
  • Community-driven projects focused on supporting local needs and delivering sustainable positive impacts
  • Superior support services both pre-departure and while volunteering
  • Free online volunteer training for all IVHQ volunteers
  • Between 20 and 40 IVHQ volunteers start in Ecuador each month
  • Weekends are free to explore Ecuador with fellow volunteers - explore Cotopaxi, the Galapagos Islands and more!
South America » Ecuador » Quito
Ecuador Program Fees include airport pick-up, orientation, program supervision, accommodation and meals during volunteer program period, in-country 24/7 volunteer support and in-country administration costs.

Don't overexert yourself. If you do too much too early you'll start to feel sick. But DO be active. Walk about the city with your friends, explore, travel... just make sure to take plenty of breaks as you need to. You will find that slowly but surely you'll begin to acclimate! Also: Drink lots of water! Really, it helps.

Natalie
England
Roehampton University

I would definitely recommend going on this volunteer programme

I loved my short time volunteering in Quito. I volunteered on the street children project and loved it. The staff were very friendly, welcoming and inclusive. The children clearly loved the sessions as they were fun, age appropriate and interactive with lots of songs and suitable resources. The volunteer accommodation was comfortable and well presented. Food provided was also a good standard. To anyone looking into doing this I would say go for it.

Kate
Quito, Ecuador
The College of New Jersey

IVHQ Ecuador Review (Street Children Work)

Volunteering in Quito, Ecuador was a lifechanging experience for me. Traveling to another continent alone can be terrifying, but from the minute I stepped foot into the country, I felt welcomed by local staff and fellow volunteers. At the airport I was met by a representative from Volunteer Connection Ecuador as well as two other girls with whom I would be sharing the taxi ride to the volunteer house. We quickly hit it off, and ended up making holiday weekend travel plans during the car ride. Orientation was incredible, as it included a thorough walking tour of Old Town (one of the most incredible areas of Quito) followed by a briefing from the local staff. The local staff in Ecuador were adored by all volunteers, especially those on the Street Children project. Every morning, we would wake up and travel to the markets together, where the local staff always made us feel safe and watched all volunteers carefully on the bus rides there. The program itself is incredibly impactful as you grow to love the kids from day 1. Possibly some of the sweetest children you will ever encounter, the hardest part about going home is leaving them behind. When not volunteering, you are able to grow close to those in your homestay, sharing meals at home, weekend trips, and nights out together. I was able to travel with fellow volunteers to Baños and the Amazon, something that I will not soon forget. Taking a trip with IVHQ is sure to be one of the best experiences of your life, as every person you will encounter will help you grow as a person.

I would like to see better supplies for the children in the markets. Although I do understand that UBECI is a small NGO, the toys that were brought to the children in the market seemed old and unsanitary, and I feel as though they could do with investing money into new ones.

Sarah
Abu Dhabi

Street Children Program

I had never been to south american so i didn’t know what to expect. Also, this was my first volunteering experience. IVHQ are very supportive and they take care of you in the whole process not only until you pay and confirm your spot! The street children program was quite the life changing experience for me! It was exactly what I needed to make sure I am making someone happy just by being there. The children are adorable and their smiles were worth everything for me. The only thing i would comment on would be the language barrier, which is why i would recommend IVHQ has a mandatory requirement of basic Spanish for all programs. I was practically suffering in the first week to communicate with the staff and kids at least until Spanish lessons kicked in! 😀
It is a good program and UBECI is trying to give those children the support they need. With some changes, this could be one of the best IVHQ programs.

1- basic spanish as a mandatory requirement
2- spanish classes to start before the program start date

Erin

4-5 star review for IVHQ, 2 stars for Volunteer Connection Ecuador

I volunteered in Quito, Ecuador for 4 weeks and for the most part it was a wonderful journey, but it's been over a year after my experience and it's important I finally write a review. Part way through my stay, I was robbed with a knife a block away from my host family's house during daylight (7:30 am). I was wearing plain, modest clothing and had no flashy jewelry on etc. I was carrying a backpack as I was going to meet a volunteer friend at the bus stop for a weekend trip. I was in no place to fight off a man in my face with a large knife (and turns out he had an accomplice waiting for him a block away) and gave everything to him as he demanded. I was fortunate that I was not harmed. I ran to the bus stop to find my friend. The director of VCE was called. He asked if I was okay which I appreciate but to my knowledge did nothing else. My host family was really helpful and walked with me to the police station. The police tried to ignore what happened. My host father, who I will forever appreciate for this, argued with 3 different officers for nearly an hour until they agreed to write a report. My complaint IS NOT that I was robbed. This is not anyone's fault. It was difficult in many ways, to do things like acquiring some medications I lost, but my complaint is how it was handled by VCE. Although I would have preferred VCE share this with volunteers to alert them, at the very least they could have asked if I needed help replacing anything, or asked how I was doing. I told different staff what happened and this was not shared between them. Maybe one time, one of the staff could have said, "How are you doing?". My fellow volunteers were amazing. They gave me extra things they had like a rain jacket, basic medicines, etc. There was another volunteer, also a young white female, robbed with a knife nearby her host family's house (different house from mine) a couple weeks after I left Ecuador. I heard she was not hurt but that there were 5 criminals involved; I never heard the full story. My roommate there witnessed a daytime robbery a few blocks from the office, near the mall. I am concerned at the safety of these neighborhoods. I had been to South America twice before (once before to Ecuador) so I felt I had good travel common sense. This review would be entirely different had I not been robbed and I would be raving about the VCE staff and experience, the awesome Spanish lessons, the bakeries, adorable Ecuadorian kids, and friends I made from around the world. Those are bright memories I have and I understand all the stellar reviews for VCE, as I almost was in that position too. But it bothers me how my robbery was handled. IVHQ I WOULD recommend to people; the Ecuador program I would not. IVHQ handled the situation much better. I told them about the robbery in the review and I could tell in the email they truly cared and wanted to understand what happened. That meant so much to me, so thank you, IVHQ. VCE does incredible things for people of Quito, and the staff really are wonderful people that provided great program support. I was the first volunteer I'm personally aware of that was a victim of robbery at knife-point, so I realize they may not have known how to handle such a situation, which is one reason why I wrote this review. So many areas of Quito are beautiful, and I hope things are going well for VCE, but I will never return.

The welcome orientation was very good, but recommendations to share, is telling volunteers in orientation the only safe way to travel if you have luggage (at least for single women volunteers) is by having a taxi pick you up RIGHT outside your host family's house so you are never carrying a backpack on streets. I feel they should also share volunteers have been robbed before by armed criminals and what to do in such a situation. If someone is robbed, they should ask how the volunteer is doing so the volunteer will feel like the staff care. Better yet, if they can speak the volunteer's native language, try. The day of the robbery what I remember was the hardest thing was describing in Spanish what happened to the police, my host family, the director, everyone. I normally love Spanish- but all I wanted to do this day was speak English which the VCE staff do speak very well. I spoke to them in English and they would switch back to Spanish. I took it as a compliment that they could understand my Spanish, and any day where my life wasn't threatened I loved conversing with them in Spanish, but just a side note. :)

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Erin, thanks for sharing a reflection on your experience in Ecuador. We are sorry to hear about the robbery which disrupted your otherwise positive experience. We can assure you that the safety of our volunteers is a top priority for both IVHQ and our local teams, and in addition to the pre-departure training offered by IVHQ, our Ecuador team also provide an extensive safety briefing during the program orientation to ensure volunteers are well informed about how to avoid situations where they would feel unsafe. This involves ensuring that volunteers are supported to coordinate direct transport to and from their accommodations, so they are never walking alone. We can assure you that our local team are committed to providing personalized assistance to volunteers and are proactive in following up with volunteers on an ongoing basis to ensure they are happy with their program and overall experience in Ecuador. We have shared this feedback with the Ecuador team who have taken your thoughts on board, as they pride themselves in the high level of support they offer volunteers. Kind regards,

Charlotte - IVHQ Ecuador Program Manager

Jill
Sacramento
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

Street Children Project in Ecuador

I participated in the Street Children Work project in Ecuador. I absolutely loved this trip for so many reasons. First of all, IVHQ does such a good job of responding to emails and making sure you're safe and prepared to travel, and also help you arrange weekend trips easily. Secondly, I really liked the homestead aspect. On the trip, volunteers are placed in the home of an actual family living in Ecuador with other volunteers. The food they cooked was amazing, and it was interesting to see how they lived their lives in Ecuador. Also it was awesome to meet volunteers from all around the world. For the actual volunteering, the kids were great, they're all super grateful for your presence and very loving. The UBECI staff is so good with kids and it's really fulfilling to see how excited they get when they see us in the markets. Ecuador is also relatively inexpensive to the states and has a fun nightlife on the weekends. Overall, I really recommend this trip and IVHQ in general.

All it really needs is more funding but that's one of their goals and should get better with time.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jill, Thanks for your great review and gorgeous pics! We are so glad to hear that you felt well supported by IVHQ and our local team – that is what we are here for. Thanks for your recommendation and we would love to have you volunteer with us again in the future.

Ashly
Ashly
Michigan
Grand Valley State University

Best Experience! Highly Recommended!

I was reluctant to travel alone as a single female, but could not be any happier that I did! Between the experience itself and the friends that I made along the way, this program was life changing! I worked for a month on the Street Children Project in Quito and never wanted to leave. From teaching English to children falling asleep in your arms, it was beyond my every expectation. The children are so loving and want nothing more than your love and attention. The UBECI staff was amazing and made you feel comfortable and right at home. I also took part in the Spanish lessons that were offered and they were intense, but I learned a great deal. Safety was not an issue as you travel to and from the street markets as a group. While staying in Quito, I was placed at the volunteer house. At the house, on our downtime, we played games, had movie nights, and planned our next adventures. Those of us at the house generally traveled as a group on the weekends as there are so many things to do and see! I would recommend this program to anyone that is looking for a hands on experience that will impact the children's lives and their lives forever.

Katrina

An Experience

I didn't realize what I was getting into. I had a great time and am glad I went but I didn't like the city of Quito at all. You do have to have a god level of Spanish speaking skills in order to talk with anyone. The only people I met who spoke Spanish were the people at IVHQ and the fellow volunteers. You will be staying with a host family who does not speak English. It is hard, but a great experience nonetheless.

Make sure they know how much they need to have a working knowledge of Spanish. Bring things for the kids you are working with.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Katrina, Thanks for pushing past the language barrier to have a great experience in Ecuador. We are sorry to hear that Quito did not meet your expectations and we encourage you to please contact us if you would like to provide more feedback.

Makenzie
Provo, Utah
Brigham Young University

The Best 2 Weeks

I have previously traveled with IVHQ to Kenya and China, but out of the three programs I have participated in, working with UBECI in Quito has been my favorite. Though there are things that could be improved upon from an NGO stand-point, the intent and mission of the UBECI staff and program coordinators is incredible. Jairo and Javier (the group leaders) were amazing with the kids, they always led fun, engaging lessons, and you could tell that they cared very deeply about the kids and their welfare. The kids were so much fun to play with - they were all so happy and so friendly, it was so rewarding to be able to work with them, to teach them, to be examples to them, to play with them, and to learn from them.
With most people, especially with me and the programs I have participated in, I always go in thinking that I am going to do my best to serve the kids and make even the smallest difference in their lives, but after you go home, you realize that the kids made such an impact on you and helped/served you more than you ever thought possible. This stands true for this program - I learned more from working with UBECI than I ever thought possible, and I am eternally grateful for that.

Involve the volunteers more with the lessons and the kids - after one week of being there, it is easy to get the hang of things, so give the volunteers some responsibilities like planning a lesson or teaching a game! We are there to help - let us!!

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Makenzie, Thanks so much for sharing! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time on our program in Quito and appreciated the life-lessons you gained from the local team and the children at your project. Thanks again for sharing and we hope you will join us again for a forth program!

Lily
Quito, Ecuador

My Volunteer Trip to Quito, Ecuador

My volunteer trip to Quito, Ecuador in 2 words would be "life changing". I had never heard of IVHQ before and so when it started getting close to when it was time to leave I got a little bit more nervous. A week before my trip I came across a Facebook page for Ecuador IVHQ Program, so I joined it and got to reading on tips from past volunteers and even met volunteers via Facebook who were arriving the same time as me, seeing this eased my nerves. I felt more ready than ever. When I arrived in Quito, Ecuador with my boyfriend and as we walked right through the "exit doors" into the airport lobby there was a man with my boyfriend and I's name on the sign, which was super easy and comforting to see. He took us to our accommodations where our host mom Monica was there to welcome us to our new home for the next 2 weeks and to show us around. They instantly made us feel at home!! We met the volunteers that were living in the Volunteer House as well and we all clicked instantly and were laughing and sharing about ourselves in no time. Monday came along and we had orientation which was super informative and answered any questions we may have had. We also met the IVHQ staff that worked in the offices and everyone was sweet and eager to help us. Tuesday we jumped right in and started volunteering, we met the staff of the organization, UBECI, whom we would be volunteering with for the Street Children project. Everyone in this staff was so sweet and you could tell by the first day they truly cared about the kids and the difference that we were making. I fell in love with all the kids! We would wash their hands, play games with them, and have small interactive lessons with them. The connection that my boyfriend and I made with the kids, staff, and other volunteers was extraordinary. We had become one big family!! And to top it all off the meals that the host families would cook for us were delicious and I still crave them to this day. The time flew by and by the end of the trip the only regret I had was not staying longer. I would 10/10 recommend to anyone who is considering volunteering abroad or in a different country! Can't wait to go back one day! Thank you IVHQ staff and UBECI staff!

n/a

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Lily, Thanks for your awesome review! We are so happy to hear that you were well supported by IVHQ and our local team and had a life changing experience volunteering in Quito, Ecuador. It sounds like you made the most of your time on the program by getting to know the children at your placement and enjoying your time with the other volunteers. Thanks for recommending IVHQ and for being a great volunteer – we would love to have you back!

Isaac
Quincy, Michigan

An excellent program for anybody

I originally went to Ecuador because I needed something to pad my resumé for PhD program admissions. What I got instead was something much more than that. During my time there, I spent most of my days in the NGO Support project, with some days spent in the Street Children project, seeking funding and logistic support for the UBECI Foundation, which seeks to better the lives of underserved and underprivileged children at risk in the capital city of Quito. Not only is the cause a good one, but the organization itself is fantastic. The team takes their charge seriously and they really do make a difference in the lives of the children they serve. It is not an exaggeration to say that they are a godsend. To have been able to work with them was truly an honor, and I expect to be going back some day very soon.

But beyond the work I did, I can happily say that I was satisfied with every aspect of my trip. I planned it through IVHQ, who partners with VCE in-country, and both of them saw to my every need. My accommodation in the Volunteer House with Monica and Byron was an excellent experience. We were well fed, warmly welcomed, and made to feel at home. On top of this, VCE provided many travel opportunities around the city and beyond for decent prices, which I took great advantage of.

All told, the relatively cheap cost of this program along with the excellent work environment and the overall good experience makes this trip ideal for everyone, regardless of your travel or volunteer experience. People of all ages and backgrounds were there, including whole families. I highly recommend you take advantage of this opportunity.

The information booklet provided by IVHQ is in need of updating. Some of the cultural information as well as what to pack is a little outdated. Still, this did not hamper my trip in any way. It's more an issue of convenience.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Issac, it's great to hear from you! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your experience in Ecuador, it sounds like you had a really memorable time. The local team in Quito are incredibly dedicated and we are so grateful that you noticed the impact they are having. We would love to have you back in Ecuador, or on another IVHQ program, in the future.

Amira
St. Louis, MO
Saint Louis University

Ecuador Street Children Review

My time in Ecuador was unforgettable. The friends I made, the UBECI staff, and my host family all made my experience something that I will hold in my heart forever. The kids that I volunteered with have taught me far more than I could have ever taught them. My entire outlook on life has changed for the better. I plan on returning to the beautiful country of Ecuador. I would recommend this program to absolutely everyone.

No improvements necessary.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Amira, We are so happy to hear that you had an unforgettable time in Ecuador! Thanks for your recommendation and for being an IVHQer!

Gemma
Norwich, Norfolk, England

Eye-opening Ecuador experience

I've just spent 7 weeks In Ecuador, volunteering in administration and working with street kids. I didn't realise how much I do would get to do that I don't get to do in England. From going to the Laundrette, jumping off a bridge, hitchhiking down an extinct volcano, taking a shower with live electric cables heating the water to meeting some amazing people, local and other volunteers! Iy was an absolutely incredible experience and I would highly recommend for anyone who is unsure to take the plunge and fully submerge yourself in the experience.

There was quite a lot of rules, for our safety and I completely understand the need for them, but if we were given these before we entered the Country we would have more time to read, digest and ask any questions which they may raise.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Gemma, Thanks for sharing a snippet from your time in Ecuador. It sounds like you had a really positive experience and we are glad that we were able to facilitate this for you. Thanks for being an IVHQer!

Yitian
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
University of Pennsylvania

Ecuadorian Kindergarten kids are so loving

The kindergarten program is a great fit for anyone who wants to see what it's like to work as a kindergarten teacher and/or to rapidly improve Spanish from nada. The kids are so loving even though you don't speak their language, and they compliment on your progress as you speak/understand more, which is very motivating. You can have a great impact if you do speak fluent Spanish, the teachers at the kindergarten give you an option at the beginning to plan lessons if you wish.

I wish I was more involved in the teaching part at least for the English curriculum. The kids don't take much math either, the only thing tangentially related was counting.

Rebecca
Baltimore, Maryland
Salisbury University

Ecuador

This was a great program. I really enjoyed my time working with the children in Quito, Ecuador. The staff at VCE are the friendliest and most helpful people and you will really enjoy your time in Ecuador.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi there Rebecca, It’s great to hear that you had such an enjoyable experience volunteering in Ecuador. Thanks for sharing a little of your story and your thoughts about the program. It’s great to have you as an IVHQer and we hope to have you back on another of our programs soon.

Marissa
Washington DC
Georgetown University

The final day in Ecuador

My last 24 hours in Ecuador were unforgettable. Waking up to a half-packed suitcase reminded my that the end had finally arrived. After four weeks, I was both excited to go home, while at the same time, wishing I could stay four more. I went to school for my program Friday morning, teaching English to middle schoolers at the public school. I was hanging out with the students in the school yard before class, getting ready to go into the classroom, when they proposed we "play a game." This game then involved blindfolding me and my fellow volunteers...but we all went along with it. They brought us to our classroom and removed the cloth to reveal a surprise goodbye party the students themselves had organized. They had some snacks and soda, a couple balloons, and a poster. I was so shocked I cried. I realized then just how much this program meant to me and how much I would miss it.
Later that night, I was headed to the airport with my friend. Time for another round of goodbyes, this time to my host mother and 5 other volunteer friends who I lived with. As sad as I was to leave them, the goodbye was not too tragic. We had become so close over the month I had no doubt I would see them again at some point. In fact, we already had a trip planned.
I just could not believe I had been there for a month, traveled so much, met such incredible people. Overall an amazing trip.

This particular program had only half days, which worked out for people taking Spanish lessons but left a lot of free time for those who were not. I suggested potentially making a dual program with Administration. Also, there ought to be a requirement for basic to intermediate Spanish. Without such fundamental knowledge, it would be nearly impossible to connect with the students.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hola Marissa!
Thanks for the review of your four weeks in Ecuador. Goodbyes are always the hardest part of a trip, but it sounds like you had an exciting and amazing adventure! Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ - we hope you can join us on another program in the future!

Jacqueline
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Dalhousie University

Teaching English in Quito

My husband and I taught English to 360 11 and 12 year olds for a month. We tried to help the teacher reach her goals as well as to create a stimulating and positive environment for the teaching of English. The kids were open and interested and were a pleasure to know. The program and teacher were fully supportive of our efforts. We received back much more than we gave. We were humbled and grateful for the experience. We also taught English to a group of kindergarten teachers. They were model students and we thoroughly enjoyed our time with them. They made wonderful progress.

It would benefit all if the teaching period were longer. That however is not always possible to achieve.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Jacqueline! What an amazing experience to share with your husband - we are thrilled that you enjoyed it! Thanks for your review and for volunteering - we hope to see you on another IVHQ program in the future :-)

Safa
Albany, New York
University at Buffalo- SUNY

Review of Kindergarten Program in Ecuador

I thought this was a great program, and I liked the convenience of getting to the school everyday, about a 10 minute walk. I enjoyed working with the kids, and teaching them songs, and the teachers were very understanding and helpful when trying to learn the Spanish language.

I would let volunteers know beforehand to come prepared with songs, both in Spanish and English, to share with their classes.

Response from International Volunteer HQ - IVHQ

Hi Safa, It's is great to hear that you enjoyed your time volunteering on our Kindergarten project in Ecuador. Thanks for volunteering with IVHQ.

Lib
DC
Lancaster University

Great experience!

It's a great experience to live with a host family, be immersed in Spanish, and see how other cultures live their lives. I am a teacher and the work UBECI is doing with these socially and economically deprived children is great. You get to help work with the kids on key skills, such as following directions, concept of print, using a pencil etc. It's very rewarding, and a lot of fun.

I wish I could have stayed longer (I was there for a month). They allow you to come just for a week and without any Spanish, but you'll get way more out of the experience (and help the kids way more) if you have some basic Spanish and stay at least a couple of weeks.

global
Dallas, Texas
Boston College

UBECI!

Overall, my experience with UBECI has been wonderful! The staff and other volunteers are very supportive and the children we work with are so beautiful. I chose to spend two weeks working in the markets with the young children, one week with the 1-3 year olds and the second week with the 7-15 year olds. Every morning the staff would meet us volunteers at the office to head to the market together which I really appreciated. Since we spent about one day a week at each market, it was nice to see more of Quito and the different dynamics of the markets. At the same time, rotating the markets (each market location is only open a couple days a week so no choice) made it difficult to make progress with the children. Coming with parents to sell on a daily basis, some of these children are not in school and receive all their academic training from us. It was hard to repeatedly work with the young children unable to recognize basic shapes and colors we had covered the week before. At the end of the day, I had to look and appreciate the small successes in each child´s life and I am so glad UBECI is there for these children. Not only do they stress learning though books, puzzles, and lessons, they also emphasis hygiene, physical movements, and emotional wellbeing. The staff and volunteers do so much to be loving and present to these children. I highly recommend volunteering with UBECI and enjoyed my experiences in Quito with them!

With a background in case management, I wish there was more consistent and stronger interaction with the parents. I completely understand the staff members must walk a fine line to not be too intrusive since the parents allow us to work with their children voluntarily so it is hard. This is not critical of the program so much as they challenges the program faces. I have so much respect for the staff members and long term volunteers who continue to have excitement and love for these children day after day and truly celebrate every little success.

Lisaz3349
Denver,Colorado
University of Wisconsin- Madison

Market Children Program With UBECI in Quito,Ecuador

UBECI is an amazing organization to volunteer with. The program is well structured with concrete goals. After working with the program for 2 months, I can say I really feel like I am making an impact on the children´s life here. I was orginally only going to stay one month with the program but after 3 weeks I decided I wanted to stay longer. I love the program, my wonderful host family and traveling in Ecuador. Everybody is so welcoming and for no matter how long or short you stay(or your level of Spanish) you will feel at home. Our typical day begins in the office with a short meeting on the goals for the week. We then travel by bus to one of the 4 markets we work at. Once arriving we set up tents and gather children from the market. During the first hour of our time with the children we play with them, read books and most importantly give them an opportunity to be kids! After we begin teaching the children various concepts including numbers, shapes and opposites. We then take a break in the afternoon for lunch and work again from 2-4:30. We work Tuesdays-Friday and thus you have plenty of free time to travel during the weekends as well. The children range from the ages of 1-14. So there is certaintly the opportunity to work with the age group you prefer. I usually work with the children from the ages of 4-6 and I really enjoy it. The kids are so full of life and want to get to know you as well. This program and the children in the markets have taught me so much about life and I have gained so much from this experience. I can not recommend this program enough. Ecuador is a unique country to visit and you can make a real difference here. -Lisa Zychowski

If I could change one thing about the program I would sugest lowering the cost a bit. I know that a lot of money is going towards the program so this does not bother me but it could deter others.

mm0058
Minneapolis, MN
University of Minnesota

UBECI

I take spanish lessons in the morning, take a two hour break for lunch, then head to work in the market. The organization with which I´m affiliated is UBECI in Quito, Ecuador. I work with kids in markets throughout Quito and it´s a challenge sometimes, and difficult trying to teach the kids things, but it´s a valuable experience and I´m proud to be affiliated with this organization. They do very good things for these kids.

If I had to change one thing, I guess I would change the neighborhood in which I reside. The neighborhood is fine and safe and all, but I would prefer to live closer to more universities more in the north of the city.

Tammy
Brisbane, Australia
Griffith University

UBECI

Working with UBECI has been a great experience. Volunteering with market children in Ecuador certainly has its challenges, but every day brings something new. It´s incredibly rewarding to work with children who have so little, and are so appreciative what you bring to the program, be it resources, time, affection or enthusiasm.

The staff at UBECI have been very supportive. They are always willing to listen to your questions and queries, and provide good advice to ensure that you have a safe and enjoyable stay.

Be prepared to work hard - it´s not always easy to have so much enthusiasm every day! Your diet will be very different, you may struggle with the language and you won´t have all of the conveniences of home, but that is the point. You aren´t at home. However the experience that you take home will be one of the most rewarding that you can imagine. I have no problem recommending UBECI as an organisation to volunteer with.

If you are staying for an extended period of time be prepared to feel the effects of a very different diet and being exposed to sick kids and volunteers. This is sometimes a little out of your control and that of the organisation, but bring relevant medications and if you need to, supplement your diet with fresh foods from the market.

Luca
Sydney, NSW
University of Sydney

i miss Ecuador all the time.

so many priceless memories and beautiful children! i would go back in a heartbeat.
anyone who loves kids and a wants to see a country rich in relatively untouched South American culture would love this program!

IVHQ (International Volunteer HQ) provides safe, unique, meaningful and extremely affordable volunteer programs in 35+ countries around the world, with a constantly expanding base. Programs are available in Asia, Africa, Europe, Central America, South America and the Pacific, where IVHQ works alongside local NGOs to