Lattitude - Volunteer Placements in the UK

Outdoor Education, camp, UK
Outdoor Education, camp, UK
Got that travel bug!
Beautiful places, beautiful people
Lucky enough to see even a corner of the world!

PROGRAM OVERVIEWS
SCHOOL
Almost all school placements are in private schools. Volunteers may help to support in the classroom, be linked to a specific department, or assist in administrative duties, and in boarding schools, also duties such as homework, and weekend excursions.
LANGUAGE ASSISTANT
These placements are for Spanish, German, and some French speaking volunteers; they will be expected to teach conversation classes with small groups or individuals.
CARING- SCHOOLS
There are placements in schools for physically disabled students, students with emotional and behavioural difficulties, and/or students with learning disabilities
CARING- RESIDENTIAL
These placements may be in communities or residential homes of disabled people, shelters for homeless people, rehabilitation centres, or a hospice.
OUTDOOR EDUCATION
Volunteers will assist or lead group activities such as archery, canoeing, singing camp songs, or courses for groups to study ecology and geography.

Hi Elona, It looks like the cost depends on the program, for example one of their UK programs is about $4,000. http://www.lattitudecanada.org/where-can-i-go/uk/

Natalie

Gap Year in England as Schools Assistant in Deaf School

Straight out of school and out to explore the world! While completing my Year 12 I decided I wanted to ditch the norm and volunteer overseas on a gap year instead of going straight to university. I was matched with a school for Deaf children in England, UK and volunteered here in the capacity of a Care Staff Member for 12 months. I worked in the girls boarding house and everyday saw something new, challenging and exciting! Plenty of activities, trips, camps and special moments with the kids which I will remember forever. The experience of getting to know these kids is incomparable to any other opportunity you may ever have in your young life, and you will come to find that within a short amount of time these kids will steal your heart with their kindness and compassion!

The program allows for plenty of down time in between a busy work schedule, and includes a variety of school holidays which provide the perfect opportunity for adventuring around Europe! The way the program is structured is fantastic and you feel comfortable knowing that food and accommodation is covered with your program costs. Lattitude provided me with endless support pre-departure and whilst overseas, and without this experience, I would not have found my passion in life and the confidence and resilience I have gained from this program is second to none. They help you organise visas, flights, correspondence with your placement hosts and plenty of tips for your year abroad.

Putting yourself outside your comfort zone and doing an experience like this is such an amazing way for young individuals to explore the world and make an impact on young people's lives with whom they have the privilege of working with.

What was your funniest moment?
Falling over countless times on my butt while taking my girls on an ice skating trip!
Olivia

Two homes is better than one!

Deciding to move to England for a year after graduation was something that, to me, made all the sense in the world yet at the same time made no sense at all. Even thinking back now, I am struck with a sense of wonder. It still seems surreal that I was able to be a part of something that influential and amazing, for others and mainly for myself. From the day that I almost lost a student to the day that I ripped my pants at work, nothing stands out as negative. If it didn't seem ideal at the time, I know that I learned from it and perhaps even have a great story to tell! I learned everyday, either while at work or out exploring the world, I laughed constantly and I loved every last thing about my experience overseas. Anyone who decides to do this will be better, and stronger, for it. Trust me.

I would have liked to have known more about my living arrangements/ housemates beforehand.

Location:
Gatwick
( LGQ )
London Stansted
( STN )

London, although typically regarded for its architecture and city lifestyle, is made up of 40% public green space in the form of incredibly lush parks. London has created an environment where you can spend the day enjoying city life and then escape to Primrose hill, the Thames, or a walk by the canals.

About Lattitude Global Volunteering

Lattitude Global Volunteering (formerly known as Gap Activity Projects) is an international youth development charity. Our mission is to educate and develop young people worldwide by providing inclusive opportunities for them to make a positive...