Lattitude - Volunteer Placements in the UK

With over 45 years of experience sending over 40,000 young volunteers around the globe, Lattitude offers one of the best ways to see the world. We offer guidance through pre-departure prep and 24/7 support in country. Our support structure and wealth of knowledge will set you up for not only a successful Gap Year, but quite possibly your best year ever.

Our UK programme offers many placements in schools or community organisations.

We are passionate about what we do and feel strongly that a Gap Year abroad is the best way to gain experience, become a global citizen and discover who you are.

• SCHOOL ASSISTANT - Support teachers and staff at boarding schools primarily with boarding house supervision as well as in the classroom. Some volunteers may assist with language learning. Others volunteer in schools for disabled students.
  • COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER - Placements may be in communities or residential homes of disabled people, shelters for homeless people, rehabilitation centers, or a hospice. Volunteers will lead activities, help with household duties or assist with personal care.
  • OUTDOOR CAMP ASSISTANT - Lead group activities such as archery, canoeing, singing camp songs, etc. Volunteers will also oversee team building games or assist staff with cooking or maintenance projects.

Hi Elona, It looks like the cost depends on the program, for example one of their UK programs is about $4,000. http://www.lattitudecanada.org/where-can-i-go/uk/

Natalie

Gap Year in England as Schools Assistant in Deaf School

Straight out of school and out to explore the world! While completing my Year 12 I decided I wanted to ditch the norm and volunteer overseas on a gap year instead of going straight to university. I was matched with a school for Deaf children in England, UK and volunteered here in the capacity of a Care Staff Member for 12 months. I worked in the girls boarding house and everyday saw something new, challenging and exciting! Plenty of activities, trips, camps and special moments with the kids which I will remember forever. The experience of getting to know these kids is incomparable to any other opportunity you may ever have in your young life, and you will come to find that within a short amount of time these kids will steal your heart with their kindness and compassion!

The program allows for plenty of down time in between a busy work schedule, and includes a variety of school holidays which provide the perfect opportunity for adventuring around Europe! The way the program is structured is fantastic and you feel comfortable knowing that food and accommodation is covered with your program costs. Lattitude provided me with endless support pre-departure and whilst overseas, and without this experience, I would not have found my passion in life and the confidence and resilience I have gained from this program is second to none. They help you organise visas, flights, correspondence with your placement hosts and plenty of tips for your year abroad.

Putting yourself outside your comfort zone and doing an experience like this is such an amazing way for young individuals to explore the world and make an impact on young people's lives with whom they have the privilege of working with.

What was your funniest moment?
Falling over countless times on my butt while taking my girls on an ice skating trip!
Olivia

Two homes is better than one!

Deciding to move to England for a year after graduation was something that, to me, made all the sense in the world yet at the same time made no sense at all. Even thinking back now, I am struck with a sense of wonder. It still seems surreal that I was able to be a part of something that influential and amazing, for others and mainly for myself. From the day that I almost lost a student to the day that I ripped my pants at work, nothing stands out as negative. If it didn't seem ideal at the time, I know that I learned from it and perhaps even have a great story to tell! I learned everyday, either while at work or out exploring the world, I laughed constantly and I loved every last thing about my experience overseas. Anyone who decides to do this will be better, and stronger, for it. Trust me.

I would have liked to have known more about my living arrangements/ housemates beforehand.