YFI Ghana: Serve, Learn, & Empower

Youth Futures International strives to provide empowering and inspiring educational opportunities that will instill self-confidence, sound leadership characteristics and maximize potential while being immersed in the culture of a program’s host country and community.

To provide high school and college students with an international service learning experience in Ghana, West Africa and to increase their knowledge of international public health issues while improving leadership, public speaking and organizational skills.

Youth Futures International students will lead and mentor Ghanaian youth through a variety of educational, social and recreational activities, all designed to enhance the overall well-being of the host community and maximize the potential of YFI student participants.

• Full community access
  • Peer to Peer programming
  • You are the leaders, yet mentor supported
  • Full access to community elders and Chief

Flora

Loved it

My experience with this program was awesome. I met so many genuine people, learned a new culture, tried so many new foods, and gained a lot of knowledge about public health. I really miss all the people I met and their kindness. It's really cool to get to go into classrooms and teach about important public health issues. It's a great learning experience for the material you have to learn to teach and visiting the local hospitals. Not only do you get to teach, but you are also a tourist on the weekends. I visited the Kakum National Park where there is a canopy walkway which is a once in a lifetime experience. My biggest regret was not brining enough summer clothing. The only time I got mosquito bites (which I'm allergic to) was at night. Be sure to prepare as the director tells to you to. She knows best!

Christina

Ghana experience

I had a great time being a part of the YFI community in ghana. It really honed my public speaking, teaching and group callaboration skills. I learned so much from the other members of the group (including the Ghanaian cohort) and I still keep in touch with them to this day, three years later. I had no issues with safety. One thing I remember so vividly is that I accidentally dropped my passport somewhere in the dark on the final day of our trip. Someone thankfully found it and returned it to me completely intact. I really enjoyed the time I spend with my host family. The host mother’s name was Lydia and she was a midwife. She showed me and my partner all around the local medical clinic which was right in front of my house. It was quite the experience to see the differences between the medical care and technologies offered here in the US compared to in Ghana. The people were so welcoming and nice. I couldn’t say anything negative about the experience!

Allyson

Life Changing Experience

There are not words to describe the impact that this program has had on my life. YFI is a truly unique program in that it is an immersive partnership between two communities--the YFI team and the Ghanaian team. I have participated in the YFI Ghana program 3 times (2010, 2011, and 2014). I can confidently say that YFI changed the course of my life. As a result of the programs I participated in, I developed a worldly vision that ultimately led me to change my career path to education. There is something really special about staying with a host family in a Ghanaian village. The villagers take time to share their lives and culture with YFI program participants. I learned some words in a few of the many languages spoken in the region from local teenagers and kids. I learned how to cook different types of Ghanaian food from my host family. I learned about many local traditions and customs that opened my eyes to different ways of living. There is a strong community feel, as the villagers gather together for community forums and celebrations. If you are lucky enough to participate in this program, expect to return to your home country as a changed person! It is an incredible experience that will teach you a lot about the world and others around you.

About Youth Futures International

Youth Futures International is dedicated to maximizing students potential to become successful global young leaders. Through education, public health, and sports initiatives, YFI works with communities around the globe for youth to have a platform to...