• Greece

Age Max
Spring Break Summer
Apartment Hotel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Solo Women

Pricing

* Accommodation (if requested)
* Airport pick-up/ Drop off
* Daily breakfast, some meals
* Transportation during the program
* Excursions
* Comprehensive insurance
* A leading internship in your field of interest (we offer all sectors)
* 24/7 support from our full-time Greek-based team
* Personalized one-on-one career coaching session
* Social & cultural events with our large international community of interns!

Program fees do not include visa fees, flights, daily food & drink.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Airport Transfers Some Meals Transportation Travel Insurance Wifi
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Some Meals Visa
Feb 24, 2024
Jan 19, 2024
1 traveler is looking at this program

Are you a student of Health Sciences, Pre-Med, Nursing, Medical School 1 & 2 or Pharmacy? Spend your school break in Greece, exploring, shadowing, and volunteering in healthcare placements. Imagine swimming in crystal-clear waters after a long day of work or enjoying a cup of coffee in one of the most beautiful cities in Greece. As an international volunteer, you will assist in caring for patients and participate in surgeries under the supervision of our local medical staff. Additionally, you can help the children of the shelter with daily activities and create projects under the guidance of a psychologist. You will also get the opportunity to witness what it's like to work in a busy university hospital through clinical rotations at the University Hospital. And when you're not working, enjoy our fantastic trips, boat tours, horse riding, and other activities.

Consider your impact: Volunteering abroad can be a rewarding experience for both volunteers and local communities, and at Go Overseas, we believe all volunteers should have the resources to make informed decisions about the type of volunteer project they want to partake in. However, despite best intentions, some organizations offering placements in orphanages may unknowingly place children in danger. You can read about the potential dangers of orphanage volunteering here.

Program Highlights

• Take blood pressure and other vital signs, organize patient records, prepare materials and equipment. Learn about healthcare in Greece while shadowing a doctor or nurse and assisting with general check-ups.
  • With 3-4 rotations per week in different areas, including patient diagnostics, lectures, and other tasks.
  • This program is designed to give students an understanding and experience of the application of key analytical approaches in medicine, as well as patient diagnostics and therapies.
  • Philotimo offers its students a unique learning environment in which to study, where they become part of a large international student community
  • The team of professional and local students provides the 24/7 assistance from the practical and safety arrangements to creating a rich cultural program helping the participants to understand better your career and the Greek culture

• 5 rating 100%
  • 4 rating 0%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Anna

Best Program!!

Choosing Philotimo Med Abroad was the best decision I could've made! All of my classes were super intriguing (I was excited to go shadowing), the organized trips were fun and convenient, and everyone I met was super nice and supportive. Living in Larissa was also much more convenient than I thought it would be -- access to other cities in Greece, as well as access to other countries in Europe, was super easy. The food, the culture, the Director's support system, and all of the fun activities that happened in Larissa made my trip super worth it. You won't regret it if you choose Philotimo!

Melina

The Best Summer ever!

I studied abroad in Greece to learn more about medicine. I love how I had the opportunity to be immersed in a hands-on environment to truly see what medicine is like. We went on field trips to Athens to see the Parthenon and the Acropolis Museum. We also did field studies in Thessaloniki to see a variety of medical specialties.
It was a very exciting and educational experience. Every doctor and professor we shadow helps me a lot. They advise me to keep trying and never give up.
So my advice to you reading this is don't wait anymore and book your shadowing experience now.

Pros
  • Academic
  • Shopping
  • lovely city
Allie

Best Experience of My Life!

Studying abroad in Greece, with Philotimo Med, was one of the best things I ever did for myself. I am a pre-med student and being in the cultural heart of Greece was the best way I could explore this. The streets are filled with Greek history, and pretty much every local I talked with was very kind and accommodating. The shadowing program is very intense. You need to bring comfortable shoes and be ready to jump from one clinic to another. The doctors are very friendly and knowledgeable they answered all my questions. We gather with the other students in the conference room for lectures and diagnostics. During the excursions day Philotimo took us to Meteora and the second activity we went to a bread factory and had a cooking class.

Rachel

The Best Way to Spend the Winter Break!

I studied abroad in Larissa, Greece in the winter of 2024. It was such an amazing experience that I wouldn't trade for anything. I was able to leave the country for the first time and be immersed in the culture. The Philotimo staff supported me every step of the way, but I still felt like I had the freedom to explore on my own as well. I made amazing friends from my program and we would adventure throughout Greece. I got to shadow a fantastic Pediatrician and assist him during a c-section. The doctor made me feel so comfortable. I got letters of recommendation and a certificate. I am applying to med school next semester.

Thomas

If you're reading this, take this as your sign to apply to study abroad, trust me

I honestly think going to Ireland was the best decision I ever made. At first, I was nervous to even apply, but then my close friend gave me some good advice: "If not now, when?" So, I took my time and applied just to try, and I am so happy I did. I remember sitting at JFK Airport before leaving for a flight to SGK, Thessaloniki Greece and I had no idea how amazing the next 3 weeks of my life would be.
Our program director was so supportive, making sure we knew the ins and outs of the city before letting us loose, and he was always very diligent to make time for one of us if anything arose. The shadowing at the university hospital was amazing. our tour guides on field trips were charismatic, reciting poetry at times and truly immersing us in hidden spots all over Greece.

Pros
  • Meeting so many new people in a global hub for tourism and travel
  • Greece is such a gorgeous country
  • If you love history, it is a great place to connect with historically significant culture
Mohammad

I absolutely loved the program

I went to Greece for 2weeks with Philotimo for my medical internship program.
I met new people, I got to observe many surgeries and patient consultations. I have experienced Greek culture, and so much more! the volunteering part at the children's shelter was a very human touch experience. That is when I realized that I wanted to become a doctor. I would recommend this program to any pre-health student because it’s a great way to get a feel for medicine and different specialties, study abroad, and make great connections!

Krikor

Having so much fun

Philotimo's team, the professors, and the hospital staff made everything so great. Stavros is so much fun and cares about the students, so organized, He's amazing! I had the opportunity to travel from my country, Lebanon following my heart as I want to become a doctor. The Philotimo internship helped me so much to realize that being a doctor is not easy but is such a rewarding profession. The doctors in Greece are so friendly and explain all the procedures during the operation. Stavros's group meals and stories are unforgettable. I really enjoy this unique experience.

Pros
  • Great breakfast and group meals
  • hands on learning experience
  • observe many surgeries
Cons
  • don't book your flight home early morning
Joseph

Solidified that this path is what I want for my future career.

All of this knowledge and experience has helped me to solidify my career aspirations within medicine. Some specific skills include medical terminology, and interpersonal skills/patient-professional interactions. The professors and doctors explained everything and answered questions while performing this procedure. After completing my internship experience, I now feel on a personal level, more mature and responsible. Traveling on my own in a new country has been an eye-opening and welcome experience. Furthermore, I now feel more confident in my interactions with others. I gained a wealth of knowledge from my two weeks of shadowing and solidified that this path is what I want for my future career.

One week is not enough for a student to learn. I would recommend you to take the two weeks program.
Cons
  • don't book your return flight early morning