Constru Casa Guatemala: Build Homes for Underprivileged

For 10 years, Constru Casa located in Antigua, Guatemala, a beautiful world heritage site, has constructed over 600 houses and over 20 schools through out Guatemala.

Constru Casa aims to make a difference in changing the lives of poor Guatemalan families by offering them the opportunity of affordable and safe housing. Families assist in the building of their new homes and are expected to pay back 1/3 of the cost, over a 4 year period.

We work in partnerships with many local social organizations in identifying families who live in homes that are made up of corn stalks or corrugated walls as homes along with dirt floors.

Volunteers work along side our Guatemalan masons as well as the families who will be receiving the house. Work sites are situated throughout Guatemala, and we ask that volunteers be flexible in their placement as construction sites are dependent on donations. This is a very exciting opportunity for those who want to have a REAL Guatemala experience.

Pete

Incredible experience!!

One of the best things I've done in years of travelling this was a great experience. Its very rewarding, being construction, as you can really see the progress you are making day to day and then at the end of your program.

Also programs available for 2 weeks is great for people travelling or on holiday who cannot commit to 3 - 6 - 12 months like many other volunteer placements.

Hard work but great fun on the building site and who can forget games of football with all the Guatamalan workers at lunchtimes.

Such a friendly jovial atmosphere on site and brilliant support from Emily, Merri and the admin team.

HIGHLY recommended!

Errrrr.......tough one. Maybe a non-optional half day with the kids at the school?!!? This was offered but given how tired you are it's easy to get lazy....
Alex

Constru Casa - February 2013

My experience with Constru Casa was overwhelmingly positive and I would highly recommend volunteering with them. From my first day in Guatemala until the end of my two weeks volunteering, everything was well organised and personal.

The staff are very helpful, the masons on site are great fun, patient and friendly. You will love building with them - it is hard work in hot weather, but so rewarding and something you will never forget.

Its a fantastic opportunity to meet local families and engage with them - try and learn a little Spanish before hand - they really appreciate it, particularly the masons!

Day to day activities range from digging, brick laying, cement mixing and general site work. A house takes 2 weeks to complete and it is amazing to see this and work for a family, preparing their new home.

Go for it, I promise you'll love Constru Casa!
Thanks to everyone in Guatemala - I'll see you again soon!

Alex

I would recommend perhaps a couple of organised evenings on the first week with other volunteers, maybe just a coffee or meal together to get to know each other or practice a little Spanish! This would be good for people who have just arrived in Guatemala.
Marco

Can't wait to do it again

If you're thinking of joinig Constru Casa with volunteer work i got one question for you. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!?! I just got back earlier this year and I can't wait to go again next year. Every aspect of this trip (staff, homestay, volunteer work, etc...) exceeded my expectations. The staff was helpful from the very first time I got in touch with them til this day. Any question I had before, during and after they've been more than happy to answer. They ensured that my trip went smooth by paying great attention to detail. The homestay was amazing. I never did anything like that before. But I truly enjoyed it. I met other volunteers, students and a great family that opened their hearts and home to me. The volunteer work was so rewarding. Don't get me wrong it is hard work, and you will get tired and dirty but it's worth it at the end. The construction workers, the family all hard working leading by example and ensuring the house would be built correct and in a timely manner. Constru Casa also offers activities to do on your time off. or help arrange travel if you would like. Based out of Antigua you basically have everything at your disposal. I hope to see you in Guatemala soon. I'll be the one helping with a big smile on my face.

While I understand that no program is ever perect. My experience was pretty much close to it. I can't really think of something specific I would change. If in the future I think or encounter something to change I will certainly suggest it to the organization and let it be known here.

About Constru Casa Guatemala

Constru Casa is a non-profit organization offering basic housing to families living in extreme poverty. Constru Casa always works in collaboration with local partner organizations to identify and select families of exceptional need. Beneficiary...