Local Volunteer Projects in Guatemala

Local Volunteer Projects in Guatemala

Maximo Nivel provides great volunteer programs in Antigua, Guatemala. Maximo is a locally-based organization and you work directly with local projects, get involved, and make an impact!

University credit is available for our service learning programs from our official School of Record: California State University-Monterey Bay

Volunteer placements include:

North America » Guatemala » Antigua
North America » Guatemala
Volunteer Programs Include:

- Airport pick-up
- Personalized volunteer placement based on your skills and interests
- Safe, comfortable housing with breakfast and dinner included Monday - Sunday.
- In-country orientation, safety presentation, and walking tour
- Free access to high-speed internet and modern computers
- Free Office-wide WiFi
- Home-base facilities and multi-lingual team support 7 days/week
- In field support from our professional Field Managers
- Free Salsa lessons
- Free Cooking lessons
- Cultural and social activities
- A toll-free emergency hotline in the U.S.

Torre

Amazing Experience!

These two weeks with Maximo Nivel Guatemala have been amazing! I really enjoyed the holiday experience and visiting multiple projects. We worked with the elderly, painted a school and worked with kids. My second week I wad placed at an orphanage who had an amazing staff and wonderful kids. Maximo has a great team who is always willing to help and they truly made this a memorable experience. Hope to volunteer again with Maximo Nivel!

Carrie
Guatemala
Wisconsin

Máximo Nivel

I had such an incredible time with this program. All of the staff are so welcoming and helpful from the minute you meet them, and keep your safety and overall experience a priority. I look forward to future adventures with this program, and will cherish the memories I have already made with Máximo Nivel. As for the specific programs, transportation was simple and everyone was so helpful and kind. It also was an incredible way to practice my spanish

More programs in more countries!

Dean

Antigua Exotica

Antigua ExoticaI was a very interesting project compared to others. I loved working with a wide variety of exotic animals, from turtles to snakes to crocodiles. I learned that most of the animals weren’t properly taken care of previously, and it was rewarding to help take care of them. I performed a wide range of tasks from cleaning the cages to feeding them. Overall, I highly recommend this project to anyone who wants a unique experience and isn’t afraid to come out of their comfort zone.

N/A

Kelli

Better Than a Dream Vacation

Having only a week in Antigua, Guatemala, I was very concerned about having enough time to see enough. My Spanish was nonexistent and that was another fear factor. Juan Pablo, JP, made all those fears go away. He talked of where to eat, what to see, and brought us to the market to try the local fruit safely. It's like vacationing with a best friend, local guide, and helper all in one.

JP, owner of vet pro, is the nicest person I've ever met and he is the best part of my whole week's experience. He talked about the customs, the language, encouraged trying to use Spanish, brought up safety concerns, encouraged trying new things, spoke English, and genuinely cares about every person (and animal) he meets.

When Maximo Nivel brought in the Ocelot from Antigua Exotica, he didn't ask hesitate to help. He covered all costs and the Ocelot had a full recovery. When countless people come in with animals, he takes care of them, even when those additional costs are the difference of him having nice equipment or an actual table! He always puts others first. He always cares.

The clinic could use updated equipment, but that is something that will happen in time. Even the microscope must be over 50 years old and has humidity built up in the lens. This is rather expected for the city, but I hope to see Vet-Pro receive more funding to help reach their goals.

Brandi
University of Pittsburgh

Holiday Experiance

I went back and forth on buying my plane tickets for this one week experience because it's not real until you buy the nonrefundable flight! The second I was off of the plane and saw the view from the walk; I realized how silly I was. I never did a study abroad during my undergraduate years in school and was doing this trip to satisfy my wanderlust while helping wherever I could.

I've read a ton of reviews that state one week simply isn't long enough. Not long enough to make a difference or to truly immerse yourself into the culture . I'm here to tell you this is not the case. My short time in Antigua and surrounding areas was simply amazing. I didn't save the world but I know my presence brought smiles and laughter to the kids I worked with and relief to those who did this everyday. Culturally, Maximo Nivel made it so easy to jump right into things. My second day of the volunteer week I went to an amazing FREE salsa dancing and guacamole tasting. I still move like a robot but it was fun and a great way to enjoy the music while enjoying the nightlife. The staff made this cultural transition easy by offering assistance and support when needed. I never felt afraid or lost because I knew I had this amazing team behind me all the way.

Also, Antigua is such a walk-able city that I walked everywhere and explored everything. I checked out some museums, went on an amazing Coffee Farm tour via the tour company at Maximo Nivel, ate a ton of good food, and met some really amazing people.

To make an already long story short. Do what you can and don't be afraid to just jump in with both feet. My thoughts were, if i hate it...it's only one week. I've been home less than two weeks and am already planning my next experience because I miss it!

Melissa
Estados Unidos
San Diego State University

Holiday experience

Through volunteer work I had the opportunity to know and contribute to different places where a lot of help was needed. During two weeks I had the opportunity to visit and help at a coffee plantation, help and play with children at two different orphanages, organizing parties, providing food, gifts and sharing time with the beautiful children. I also visited a special needs place with an amazing facility. It was really impacting realizing that there were very few staff for the amount of residents at the facility. Also, I had the chance to visit an elderly place where we helped the staff to distri ute food, drinks and played and spent a quality time with the abuelitos. Being able to help and share my time with others made me happy. I really want to thank Maximo Nivel for making this experience special, enjoyable and unique.

male headshot
Tony

Incredible Experience with Maximo Nivel in La Antigua Guatemala

Its difficult to express how amazing my time volunteering here has been! Learning the culture, an opportunity to practice my Spanish, daily fun, beautiful sites and most importantly helping people. I found the program through International Volunteer Headquarters and was able to spend 1 week working in an orphanage, a school and a retirement home in beautiful Antigua Guatemala.
It is strange to think how much volunteering benefits the volunteer the most, and in unexpected ways. So many eye opening experiences full of incredible joy my only regret is that I can´t stay longer.

The program is incredible as is I would only like to see it grow and continue to allow more people to experience it!

Dean

IVHQ Guatemala - Holiday Experience

The Holiday Experience program at Máximo Nivel has been a very eye opening experience. As someone who has volunteered with IVHQ in the past, I am very grateful to have participated in this meaningful program. I did a variety of different tasks, from construction to working on a coffee farm to childcare. The most memorable moment was definitely working with the disabled children and being able to see how others live their daily lives that contrasts from a typical western lifestyle. Overall, I highly recommend this program to anyone as it is very memorable and meaningful experience to take away.

Program was satisfactory.

Lily

exchange of knowledge and love in Guatemala

I participated in the program of childcare in Guatemala. This organization is very structured and welcome. We worked with children of elementary school. I fall in love with them from the first seen. They are very friendly, sweet, and smart. I was suprised by many of the kids of their talents. They are outgoing when we do outdoor activities. They are super sweet when they bring drawings and handcrafts. There are so much more to discover from these wonderful children. And the family of this organization is very nice with big heart. They appreciate life and all the books and materials I brought to them. They would do everything to help educate these children. I would suggest anyone who come here, be prepared to get your heart melted here with lovely smiles.

christina
usa
Pepperdine University

Guatemala Experience

The service project at Itzapa, Antigua is catered to children{s after-school hours wellness and education. The project family and host is extraordinary people. The children are amazingly caring and gifted. I wish all of them can succeed and go out and see the rest of the world. I was very much inspired by the host and the children. I received so much love and kindness from everyone I{ve had the chance to interact and communicate with. They{ve opened up my heart and have shown me the pathway to meaning and impact. I feel such love for the children and I sincerely hope they can have the best in this world.

More activities related to the academics

Julia
La Antigua, Guatemala
University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill

Construction

Maximo Nivel provides many wonderful services throughout the greater La Antigua community, including child care, medical, language, construction etc. I have participated in a number of service programs with other organizations, and I am happy to recommend Maximo Nivel as well. Maximo is more affordable than some volunteer organizations, and while the lodging is more modest, the overall experience is very rewarding. Participating in the construction project was amazing. I learned new skills, gained an even greater appreciation for manual laborers, and could really see the tangible results of our work.
This organization has an obvious passion for service, and it provides individuals and groups the opportunity to give back while also learning a different language in a beautiful and unique setting. As a mother of three and one of the older volunteers, I appreciated the way I was included even though most of the volunteers are college-aged. Maximo also offers one-week projects as well as more intensive programs, so there is something for everyone who genuinely wants to serve and learn.

Better communication with schedule changes and perhaps more regular visits to home placements for quality assessments.

Morgan
Antigua
Cleveland State University

Construction program

During my two weeks in La Antigua I did the contruction and renovation program and it was so much fun. We took the bus everyday to and from placement and it was so inexpensive! Locals are so nice and always made room for us to sit on the crammed buses. The program itself was a lot of fun too. I learned so many cool skills from my program manager like mixing concrete and laying cinder blocks. My favorite part was that we were able to see the wonderful progress each day that we made. Maximo Nivel does a great job at welcoming volunteers and finding good mentors for their programs in the contruction project. I also loved that no matter what time of day it was, I could take a short walk to the main office and run into at least one of my friends, or talk to someone new. This city is so beautiful so it makes you love going by foot for almost everything. The staff is funny and accommodating and I loved doing this work through Maximo. They do a great job at connecting volunteers and making such amazing realtionships.

Better communication around holidays especially because the schedule changes so much, but other than that there is really nothing I would change. One thing I would suggest is when the walking tour is being given, maybe pointing out some landmarks to be able to know when to make turns, but this is mainly because I am directionally challenged, haha!

Nichanan
University of Massachusetts- Dartmouth

Great experience at Maximo Nivel in Antigua, Guatemala

I would really recommend this program. I would say it was a once in a lifetime experience. I did not have an expectation before coming to Antigua. I had the opportunity to volunteer at two different projects: medical program, I worked with a dentist in a free clinic and then for two more weeks I had a chance to work in the orphange. They were such different yet amazing experiences, words cant describe.

Brianne
Atlanta
Georgia State University

Doing my part to make the world a better place, paso a paso!

Earlier this year I FINALLY finished my master's degree and was awarded a fellowship to work with under-served populations. I took this opportunity to take an epic multi-purpose 8-week trip abroad to celebrate, relax, study Spanish, and volunteer in Guatemala. Through Maximo Nivel, I took Spanish classes and volunteered with mentally and physically handicapped children, adolescents, and adults. Picking my volunteer project was no easy task because Maximo Nivel is involved in so many amazing projects throughout Guatemala. I definitely plan on volunteering again in the future so I can check out some of the other volunteer projects. For this trip, Maximo Nivel made sure that my volunteer team were prepared in every way. At no time did I feel uncertain or unsupported in my work. Additionally, the staff at the EVS were supportive and helped to ensure that we acclimated to the daily work flow. Being in such an environment really shows how much I take for granted in my life. Things that might seem simple, like having friends to talk to and family to hug. Many of the people I volunteered with were excited just to have somebody to talk to and spend time with. I went in thinking I would be able to practice my Spanish and use some of my clinical skills (I am a counselor) with the kids and adults. Instead, I found myself a student of life. I helped in many ways and made connections with many of the residents at my project site, but I think I learned more from them in the end. I returned home with an expanded perspective and new awareness. My experience was so life-changing that I am currently getting things in order to be able to go back and stay for much longer. As an added bonus, the staff were awesome and many of them have checked-in with me since my return home and have offered to help as I prepare to head back!

Laura

My Experience

I had an amazing time at El Amor de Patricia, the staff were amazing and supportive, and clearly doing their best with the children there. Ive never been so touched by a group of people in such a short amount of time. It is truly an amazing organization! The kids were amazing and had great manners, and the nannies were extremely loving and compassionate to the children and to me, they remained patient even though there was a language barrier between us!

Emma

Hogar Amor de Patricia

I chose to volunteer with the Childcare Program and it was my first time volunteering abroad. Although I only stayed one week, I made friends and gained an amazing experience. Maximo Nivel made me feel comfortable to approach them with any questions and made me feel informed and safe. I was placed in an orphanage named Hogar Amor de Patricia and it was one of the best experiences of my life. The children were sweet and the nannies were very sweet as well. I would tell anyone to definitely step out of their comfort zone and give volunteering abroad a try because I am sure they will fall in love with it as well.

Ale

Voluntariado en Guatemala.

TRANSLATION:
In Antigua I had the opportunity to do two projects, with rescued dogs and with children with special needs. Very different projects but I am very satisfied with both. With the dogs, I had the opportunity to take them for a walk, pet them, clean their cages and play with them. A super fun experience! With the children I felt that I grew as a person since I could understand and play with them. I'm going to miss them, too! The whole experience of volunteering was very rewarding. I got to know the Guatemalan culture through the host family and being able to live with other volunteers.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
En Antigua tuve la oportunidad de hacer dos proyectos, con perros rescatados y con niños con necesidades diferentes. Muy diferentes proyectos pero estoy muy satisfecha con los dos. Con los perros uve la oportunidad de sacarlos a pasear, acariciarlos, limpiar sus jaulas y jugar con ellos. Una experiencia super divertida! Con los niños sentí que crecí como persona ya que pude entender y así jugar con ellos. Los voy a extrañar demasiado! Toda la experiencia del voluntariado fue muy gratificante. Conocer la cultura de Guatemala por medio de la familia de acogida y poder convivir con otros voluntarios.

Lynsey

my experience

my overall experience with ivhq was extremely positive and fufilling. i feel like i made an impact on the lives of the children i worked with and grew from the experience. i would come back to guatemala again because of the experience i had with ivhq. i was able to learn about the culture and feel connected to everyone i worked with. the otther volunteer and i were able to donate 6 plants for the children to care for a grow long after our time with them.

Adan

First Time Volunteering

I spent a week in Guatemala volunteering at Casa Aleluya and had an amazing time learning and growing. From the host family, to the staff at Maximo (Jacob, who was my guide thru the program), to the staff at Casa Aleluya, everyone helped to make this one of the best experiences of my life. I was nervous at first and worried as to how impactful I could be at the orphange, but thru past working journals of activities done with the kids by past volunteers and the fact that just giving your love and time to the children all makes it a wonderful process.

Marc-Andre

Teaching English to local police in Antigua

I have been here for 3 weeks and it has been a very fun and cool experience. The staff from Maximo Nivel were all super nice and very helpful. I met a ton of travelers doing volunteering as well and made new friends. Also many cool thing to see around the city: Volcano, Lake, Ruins...

I taught English to local police. They were all very nice and eager to learn and very appreciative.

I really recommend the experience for anyone interested!!

Marc-André

The last week i was alone at my home stay and no internet. So the nights were a bit boring.

Adelaide
Australia

Positives and negatives - at this point I am fairly neutral

Maximo Nivel Guatemala, like anywhere else has many positive qualities, and some negative also. Anyone can admit that no where is perfect, so at this point, I will simply summarise the positives and negatives and say that I am of a neutral position.

I have travelled to 23 different countries and volunteered locally in Australia, and internationally in India, Bali, Vietnam, Cambodia and Guatemala to name a few. I have had almost exclusively positive experiences, some of the best times of my life have been volunteering overseas. But with Maximo Nivel, things were slightly different.

I am very willing to admit that the organisation has many good traits. They take the safety of their volunteers extremely seriously, which in areas such as South and Central America is imperative.

The accommodation was the best I have ever experienced in my volunteer tours. While it was basic (as one would expect when volunteering), it was comfortable, the food was good and I felt well looked after.

I volunteered in their healthcare project, and was placed in an orphanage for people with additional needs which was very well run, resourced and most satisfying.

In saying that, my positive experience was compromised when I was subjected to some pretty appalling discrimination on the back of my epilepsy at the face of their director of international programs.

I reported the incident at the time to the country manager who could not have been lovelier about it. However, the woman in question never so much as apologised to me for treating me in such a manner, making me think that she did not/does not believe she had done anything wrong. I was not the only person to have an issue with this woman’s attitude and aggression towards the volunteers, indicating a pattern of behaviour.

EDIT: My initial review of Maximo Nivel Guatemala was very negative, however I have since had some very positive correspondence with the country manager who apologized profusely and assured me that measures were being taken to ensure no future volunteers would be treated in the same manner that I was.

As I stated, Maximo Nivel Guatemala has some very positive traits. It is well organized, takes the safety of volunteers seriously, the programs are all highly valuable and well run, the accommodation is safe and comfortable. Most of the people working for the organization are deeply good and hardworking human beings.

While my experience was not excellent, I am willing to give it another chance, and hopefully I will be able to write a much more positive review in the future.

Some staff members need to undergo a serious attitude adjustment. I have been assured however that such modifications are now underway. I look forward to reviewing the progress.

Deborah
Loma Linda University

Medical Volunteering in Guatemala

My time here in Guatemala has been amazing. Although I was only here for one week I have learned a lot throughout my time here. I enjoyed my time working at my placement in the clinic and got to experience how the medical field operates in Guatemala. The food is amazing and the staff is very supportive. I would highly recommend coming to Guatemala through IVHQ. You will make memories that last a lifetime.

Sandy

Antigua, Guatemala

Spent 2 weeks here as a medical volunteer, and it was an amazing experience. Everything from wonderful host family to the amount of support and resources provided. It´s very well organized and takes care to ensure that I could get to my volunteer site safely. Everyone at the clinic where I volunteered were very welcoming and accepting. I joined Maximo Nivel with hopes to participate in medical volunteer, learn Spanish, and just to have fun. And Maximo Nivel made it all happen!

I´ve had no negative experience with this program in my 2 weeks here :)

Ashlee
New Jersey
Rutgers University

IVHQ Guatemala

The construction program in Antigua, Guatemala was life changing. I thoroughly enjoyed experiencing the culture through living in a dorm style home run by locals, working on building a meaningful extension, and spending time with other volunteers. This experience has truly been eye opening. The most enjoyable part of this trip was learning about and conversing with Freddy and Roberto. They are some of the nicest people Ive ever met, and they are the most humble.

Laura
New Jersey
Rutgers University

A once in a lifetime experience

Prior to my time in Guatemala, I had traveled only to European countries and Caribbean resorts. This was my first experience in a third world country, but Maximo Nivel was excellent at acknowledging our surroundings and setting us up in a volunteer house, whose hosts provided housing, laundry, and delicious meals. The coordinates did a thorough job at orienting us on our first day, and were extremely helpful throughout our week. My friends and I opted for the construction division, and though we were exposed to dangerous tools, everyone ended up having a safe, impactful, and unique learning experience. Our project was to build an extention of a clinic, so that patients may have a room to wait to be seen in. Each morning, we would watch as the patients stood outside as they waited, a daily image that made our work all the more purposeful. The supervisors were fun and respectful, and there was little to no issue with the language barrier. Highly recommend.

Winnie

IVHQ Guatemala

I volunteered with Maximo Nivel through IVHQ and had an amazing experience. The construction project was challenging and encouraged us to really push ourselves. I also enjoyed staying at the volunteer house. Breakfast and dinner were provided, and it was interesting to hear the experience of other volunteers. I highly recommend for anyone looking to give back & learn valuable skills at the same time.

Nada
Chicago
Marquette University

Family Guatemala experience

Our family of five took our first group service trip which far exceeded our expectations. We worked on the construction of a medical clinic with Fredy, who was an amazing leader! Our kids, 13,11, and 9 all were an integral part of the project. Fredy would assign them each jobs that suited their abilities. We were all eager to get to our job in the morning because we knew we were making a difference. Four hours/day was perfect because we were then able to explore antigua and the surrounding areas. Maximo Nivel helped facilitate our travels by offering ease of access to an excellent travel company, Outdoor Outfitters. We had a chance to hike Pacaya volcano, explore lake Atitlan on bike, kayak and hiking, visit the coffee farm and do a chocolate factory tour. Our host family was wonderful. We never felt unsafe or unsupported. We are looking forward to our next volunteer experience and hope that it can be as wonderful as this was!

Can't think of anything!

Amber
California State University- Monterey Bay

Coffee plantation

Overall, this was a fantastic experience. Working with local farmers and their families was inspiring and insightful, while also being fun. The families we worked with were incredibly friendly and were willing and open to answering all of our questions. It felt great to be able to help them in their day-to-day routines, as well as in their coffee businesses. I learned a lot about the coffee process from growing to selling, and how the local farmers are involved.

Give people the option to not have to stay with a family, or to at least not have to have all meals there (paid for). Our host was not that friendly and while having breakfast there was fine, I didn't see the point in having dinner there since it wasn't with the family. I have stayed with families in similar situations in similar countries, and this was at the bottom of my list of experiences for friendliness, cleanliness, and quality.

Morgan

Volunteer in Antigua

I have been in Antigua for 6 weeks now with Maximo Nivel. This has been an experience of a lifetime. Maximo helped me with literally any quesiton I had and made me feel comfortable in a new and foreign place. For my project, I was placed in Ciudad Vieja with medical and as a nursing student, I have learned so much in the clinic. I have learned how to do triage, give injections, and communicate with patients in Spanish. One of my greatest challenges was getting sick for over two weeks, but Maximo was so accomodating and helped bring in a doctor multiple times and set up tests for me as well. They do really care about each of their volunteers and will help with whatever we need. Overall, my experience with Maximo and their medical program was outstanding and I would recommend this program to anyone who was interested.

I think that for people staying over 3 weeks, there should be check ups for the volunteers every two weeks or so because I know some of the volunteers may be too nervous or scared to come to Maximo on their own with any complaints.

Billy John
San Diego State University

First best experience in Central America

If you ask me what I miss most about College, it was studying abroad. Specifically, study abroad in Guatemala. I have never been outside of the outside of the US and I have always wanted to travel to central and South America.

Initially, I wanted to go to Japan or one of the other major study abroad choices that our program offered year round. However they quickly filled and our program opened up three more choices: Guatemala, Morocco, and Portugal.

I decided on Guatemala considering my passion for wanting to learn more about the history and culture of Central and South America.

I came with so many preconceived ideas and was on my toes during the beginning of the trip. However, that all quickly changed after attending the Maximo Nivel Orientation. The staff there made us feel welcome and gave us a thorough rundown of the city. Wally (our Maximo volunteer lead) and his colleagues provided guidance to our volunteer locations and ensured us that if we ever needed anything they would be there- and they were.

I specifically volunteered with special needs children so that I could utilize my background skills and knowledge as a Kinesiology: Pre-PT major. The location was about 45 minutes away via chicken bus (fairly cheap fare) and the ride was exhilarating- roads filled with potholes and at times, the chicken buses were filled over capacity.

The kids at "Los Gozoso" orphanage were so fun to work with. At first, the staff and children were hesitant to open up, but after observing that we were really there to help, they eventually warmed up to my friend and me. We usually began our day helping the children with arts and crafts activities and then got to play soccer before lunch. I was able to perform stretches on a child who was spastic and work with a sweet autistic child.

I think what made my experience unique is that it allowed me to positively alter my views in life. After leaving the airport and driving to Antigua, Guatemala, you get to observe the busy city as well as the rural areas and see what life is like. I had several instances where I was able to interact with the people of Guatemala despite the language barrier. This is especially true in the orphanage where my little knowledge of Spanish was just enough to help me communicate with the teachers. When I played soccer with the kids, I noticed that the ones who could walk and run included their friends who were differently-abled. With what little these kids had, they utilized to the fullest. I truly enjoyed making them feel loved and leaving them with smiles on their faces.

Overall, I wouldn't trade my experience volunteering in Guatemala for anything. Wally and his staff made our experience comfortable and memorable. This was totally out of my comfort zone but I conquered and enjoyed it. I encourage you all looking to volunteer abroad to do the same! To the people of Guatemala, I will see you soon!

N/A.

Máximo Nivel (Maximum Level)—The Intercultural Center of Latin America

Máximo Nivel is a family-owned, social enterprise founded in 2003. Our three intercultural centers are locally-based organizations focused on international education and cross-cultural experiences. Our programs include: Volunteer Abroad, International Internships, TEFL Certification, and Spanish Language