Volunteer Opportunities in Guatemala with INLEXCA

Hosted by

Logo
Project Coordinator

About This Program

Guatemala is a developing country that needs as much help as possible and this program is designed to help those who need it the most. In the land of trees, volcanoes and amazing cultural experiences, we offer great programs both with groups and individuals.

Guatemala is in great need of volunteers to help it develop. We offer many different projects for a variety of skills and experiences where help is needed.

You can volunteer in:
-Childcare
-Education
-English Teaching
-Turtle conservation
-Environmental preservation.
-Micro-finance
-Medicine and Health.

• Volunteer in Education, Healthcare, Childcare, Wildlife & Marine Conservation and more
  • Visit Tikal National Park and explore the ancient Mayan citadel
  • Challenge yourself with a hike up Acatenango Volcano
  • Enjoy a day of leisure by waterfalls of Semuc Champey

Guatemala is one of the poorest countries in the Americas, that is why volunteers are needed in the most vulnerable areas of the country. With the help of many organizations Guatemala is improving little by little but there is still a big need in many areas of development.

Volunteers work 4-6 hours per day, Monday - Friday (and are encouraged to spend weekends, holidays, and time off exploring Guatemala's nature, culture, and exotic places.).

Volunteers can work on projects across a number of areas:

CHILDCARE

Guatemala is a developing country that needs as much help as possible. The program is designed to help those who need it the most. Work with children in Guatemala in low income daycare centers, orphanages or in special needs organizations.

EDUCATION

Education is the key to development . So why not teach what you know?
The education program is made around you, basically you teach what you know best, so for example if you are good at math you will be teaching math at a rural school. If you are knowledgeable with computers you will teach children computer skills. The possibilities are endless.

TEACH ENGLISH

English is becoming more and more important in Latin America and is often a way of securing a better job. Working as volunteer to teach English you can help many low income kids learn a tool for their future. A rewarding job that is sure to bring you great satisfaction and a lifetime of benefit to them.

ENVIRONMENT

In developing countries like Guatemala, the natural resources are being destroyed due to poor management and ignorance of communities. Volunteers in environmental projects will help in different natural reserves and parks ,by creating ecological plans and educating locals.

WILDLIFE & MARINE

Help us to protect the Leatherback, the Olive Ridley and the Green turtles who play an important role in the ocean’s ecosystem. You will be working in a turtle nesting and hatchery along the beach where collected eggs are reburied and allowed to hatch under protection. The nesting season runs from June through December, but peaks in August and September. The hatchery releases around 5,000 turtles into the sea every year.

HEALTH & MEDICAL

Low income communities have very limited access to good health services, and this is where this project comes in. We partner with rural clinics that provide free or very accessible services where volunteers can work with local doctors and nurses.

PHYSIOTHERAPY

The health and physiotherapy program is for volunteers with a background in physiotherapy, rehabilitation or occupational therapy. Volunteers in this program can assist one of our partner clinics where many special needs patients are treated to develop their full potential. Some patients are able to come to the clinic, but volunteers will also go on house visits along with staff from the clinic.

MICROFINANCE

You will be working with micro-finance organizations and coops that play an important role in low income communities by giving micro credits and provide help borrowers to manage it.

What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Some Meals
What's Included (Extra)

24 Hour Emergency Assistance

What's Not Included
Airfare Transportation
What's Not Included (Extra)

Medical Insurance

Accommodation is provided and includes placement with a local host family. You will have a private bedroom with shared bathroom facilities. You will be located around Antigua, Guatemala, or in Coastal towns/Mayan highlands.

Breakfast and dinner are provided seven days per week. Food differs by region, however, beans, rice, meat, seafood, fruits and vegetables, and tortillas are staples in the Guatemalan diet.

Availability

8 Weeks
$1647 USD

Apolonia

My experience in Guatemala

I feel as if I have gained a huge connection to Guatemala. Although I did come to Guatemala as a volunteer and the project was amazing, it was only one part of my experience. I don't feel as if I have visited Guatemala, I feel as if I have lived in Guatemala. I now have a family here who's doors are open to me at any time. I think that I can now call Guatemala my home and get a little rush of excitement if I hear somebody mention the country, similar to when you hear somebody mention your home country while you're abroad. This experience has definitely eye opening and I have noticed that people truly are all the same, despite growing up thousands of miles away; we are not strangers to each other. I would recommend volunteering in a country because you truly get to know the country instead of just ticking a place off a map.

Toyah

Two Weeks in Novillero

For two weeks I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to visit the town of Novillero in Guatemala and volunteer in the ecological park "Corazón del Bosque". My sister is currently in Guatemala with the program for the second time, so my trip was organized through her and because I could only come for two weeks I did not have an orientation or the Spanish course. The program made it posible for me to stay with her and her host family, which allowed me to communicate and have an amazing experience despite barely speaking Spanish! Everyone I met in Guatemala, whether they were locals, other volunteers or members of the program, were incredibly welcoming and accomodating and made many efforts to make me feel comfortable.

In the park we mainly helped the staff with the opening of a new cafetería and snack store by painting its outside and inside. Other tasks included cleaning up the forest and working in a tree nursery or greenhouse. The atmosphere among the workers and volunteers was almost like a family. As a tip I would encourage future volunteers, no matter how long they are staying or how much of a language barrier there is, to try their best to communicate with everyone and really become a part of whatever project they are working in.

Doing this trip while I am still in high school was an excellent way to prepare me for my own future gap year. I now have a much greater knowledge of what to expect from a volunteering program and living with a host family and am itching to do many more trips like these in the future!

Because I only came for two weeks I unfortunately couldnt take part in the orientation or the spanish course provided by the program to welcome and prepare the volunteers. I am extremely grateful to the program for organizing my trip with my sister and allowing me to come for such a short time and in an unconventional way.
Anna

Education Project INLEX/CA - Santo Tomas, Guatemala

Really nice town with great transport links to Antigua and neighbouring towns. Definitely felt very safe for the entirety of my stay. In terms of the project I really enjoyed working with the children, especially those who were so eager to learn English, and appreciated that I got to choose to work in another project. Out of the two projects I would say I preferred the second as I was working with a smaller group of children, and had more responsibility in teaching them. Overall would definitely recommend the project, but would also advise future volunteers to take initiative in involving themselves so as to get the most out of it. Finally, I want to thank my amazing host family for making me feel at home halfway across the world. :)

I would say that because the school was already running quite a tight ship, at times I felt a bit superfluous, and maybe next time I would try to actively involve myself with the older classes as I was mainly with the younger children.
Ana

Education Project INLEX/CA - Santo Tomas, Guatemala

My time in Guatemala has been amazing. I loved working with kids in the education project. I formed so many new connections and am so sad to be leaving, but I will be back soon! Everyone from the students, the teachers, my host family, and INLEXCA have gone above and beyond to make me feel at home. This program really solidified my plans to go into social work in a school setting. I feel that this program has given me the opportunity for a lot of professional as well as personal growth. My favorite moments throughout the month have been watching kids do things on their own. I loved seeing them go from not understanding math or being afraid of new experiences to only asking me to double check their math homework and seeing them have the confidence to at least try something on their own. I loved being able to immerse myself and feel at home in the culture of another country. An absolutely amazing experience!!

I think it would be helpful for the school to have a plan for the volunteers and maybe share the curriculum with the volunteer so that the volunteer can plan and help accordingly. That way there can be more preparation for the day and not as improvised.
Adam

My Time in Guatemala with INLEXCA

I spent seven weeks in Guatemala with INLEXCA, an organization that provides volunteers with opportunities in Central America. The first two weeks were spent with Spanish lessons, as I wanted to practice and improve my Spanish a bit. Then I spent five weeks at an ecological park called Corazon del Bosque, where I helped with may different projects, from reforestation to nursery work to painting a store and café. I have no complaints as to how things went during my stay here in Guatemala. In both of the host families I was in, things seemed to go very well, and I was able to connect and get along with all members of the families. At the volunteer project site, the park workers welcomed us with open arms and helped us integrate with the park and find work to do. The program was run very well and smooth, as INLEXCA does a great job making sure volunteers are prepared and well-situated in their respective countries. The organization staff helped me when I had questions and made me feel more comfortable about the whole experience. They do a great job with the host family placement as well, as I had no problems with any of my host families, and even if I did I imagine that the organization staff would be accommodating. I would highly recommend Guatemala and INLEXCA to anyone looking for a good volunteer experience in Central America.

I don't have any criticisms.
Dana

Inlex/Ca

Awesome experience all around and perfect for my goals. I was hoping to learn Spanish in a medical setting and this program helped me immensely with this. The family I stayed with was incredible but everyone in Patzun was very friendly and willing to work with me. I hope that I can come back in the future and help out again when I have some more experience. However I have learned a lot about health in this country while I have been here!

Fagan

My Guatemala Experience

Overall, my experience was as unique as it can get. I had always valued helping others as a valuable human instinct, which is why I'm happy to say that I achieved that during my 2-week stay. What had made my time here special was the persistent attention to a familiar setting. The locals, inlex co-coordinators, my host-family and the teachers at the school that I taught in, all contributed to creating a sense of familiarity which had helped me feel more comfortable and confident in sharing my abilities and thoughts; creating a more authentic experience. Working with children had also made me understand the importance of early child development and how that is bound to influence later life; essentially what one is taught and how others interact with a child will affect later behaviors. To anyone potentially thinking of participating in such a project, I would strongly recommend it since there is nothing more useful and pure than raising the self-esteem of traumatized children; be kind and supporting to them and see the expression on their faces.

Getter

Medical program in Guatemala

I spent 5 weeks in Guatemala with INLEXCA in the medical program. I was allocated a position in a small clinic near Antigua, Guatemala. Overall I was very content with the program. In the clinic I could work in different parts (administration, pharmacy, doctor´s and nurse´s appointments) according to where help was needed and I really felt like my help and advice was appreciated by both the staff in the hospital and patients. Every week I was given more and more responsibilities and by the end felt completely integrated into the work of the clinic. I feel like everyone could benefit from a medical program like that - from people who have an interest in medicine to fully qualified doctors (like myself). The healthcare system works completely differently here and there is so much to learn. Another integral part of the program is the host family who were just wonderful. They really got me acquainted with the Guatemalan culture and way of living. In INLEXCA the staff was super helpful and easily contactable before the arrival and during my program in Guatemala. I did not take Spanish classes so cannot comment on those. In general, I felt safe and supported by both my Guatemalan host family and the staff at the organisation. Would definitely recommend!

Robert

Very gratifying experience

Working with the children in 4 different daycare centers and being able to help them in a meaningful way was very gratifying. The appreciation shown by the children as well as the day care personnel was very touching. The host families were very welcoming and living with them allowed us to get a real understanding of what life is like for them. It also provided a great opportunity to learn another language.

Dom

INLEX - My Guatemalan family

Where to start....

I am back in Ireland now and I am a changed man. I have gained, not only a wealth of knowledge and experience in the environmental volunteering sector, but I have made friends for life and scored myself another family.

My eight week programme began with 2 weeks of Spanish lessons close to Antigua. As a 33 year old, I didn't find this the easiest. My teacher was wonderful, created a fun atmosphere and taught me all the Spanish I know. I was then taken to my project by my coordinator from INLEX - Alex. He was very professional and experienced in all things volunteering and Guate. Alex advised me impeccably for my entire stay and for that I am forever grateful. I still owe you that beer Alex!!

For the following 6 weeks I was placed with a wonderful family in the Western Highlands of Guate in a beautifully relaxed village called El Novillero. I was made to feel like one of the locals by every member of this village and in particular my host family.

The project I was working on is called Corazón del Bosque, an oasis in the highlands. My work involved supporting the full time staff with their duties which included, the maintenance of mountain trails, working in the nursery and the organisation and implementation of an anti-litter project devised by myself and my volunteering partner. Working at Corazón del Bosque was a delight, however due to my limited Spanish and the facilitators lack of English, communication and direction was somewhat tricky. However, following the implementation of our own anti-litter and information project, focus and direction was very obvious.

I can not find the words to describe exactly how I feel following my return from Guatemala. All I can say is that I have been changed forever and that it has been the most wonderful experience I have ever had. I have made friends for life and gained a brand new Guatemalan family in INLEX. The people who I have not mentioned here you know who you are. Thank you for being so supportive and I wish I will see you very very soon!! You are the most amazing people I have ever met. You do such wonderful work, not only helping young travellers to see the world, but the work you support on the ground in Guatemala is incredible. You should all be very proud of yourselves.

Jackie

Take me back!!

I stayed for 3 months, 2 weeks learning Spanish and 10 weeks working with children with disabilities. Its been the biggest and best adventure of my life... so far. Every single person I met has a beautiful heart, from every member of Inlexa to each member of my host families and not forgetting the children and staff at the JT Children Foundation. I felt safe, at home and loved in Guatemala. I got to explore so many places and to see the rich and beautiful culture Guatemala and it's people have to offer. I would do it all over again and not change a thing. If you decide to come along 3 months is not too long, its just enough time to immerse yourself into the culture. Don't be afraid to practice your Spanish, the people there will help you and give it your all!!!

Mandy

Life changing experience!

The happiness in my heart is as deep as the ocean. Volunteering with those beautiful children and living with my host family for the 2 weeks is unlike anything I've ever experienced. I enjoy stepping out of my comfort zone even if it can be challenging. This entire experience has been incredibly enriching. Guatemala is beautiful and the people are so warm and welcoming.
THANK YOU INLEXCA FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT! you are amazing :) I always felt safe and well taken care of.

Leonie

Four Months of Learning and Adventure

I learned more about language, life, and cultural assimilation than I ever could have in my ordinary environment. I did a 2 week language course and then worked in an ecological park that works to conserve and protect nature and Mayan Kiche culture. It was very hard work at times and challenging on several levels, which was a great way to grow and learn. Don't shy away from the challenges!
I stayed with a lovely host family and will never forget the friendships I formed and memories I made there.
My time in Guatemala will forever be one of the most valuable experiences I have ever had. I couldn't recommend volunteering and working in another country more highly - for people of all ages! INLEX was incredibly supportive and welcoming, so finding your way and feeling secure is as easy as it can be.
If you want to widen your horizons and become a more aware, conscientious, and understanding person, then this is the way to go.

I could have used a little more direction on tasks or projects to work on. I think I could have been more useful and assimilated faster if the leaders of the park had made clear to us in what ways we as volunteers can be most helpful to them. Sometimes it is hard to analyze that for yourself so a closer cooperation between volunteers, leaders of the project, and Inlex may have been helpful!
Joey

Great

On our second night on the trip we cooked our own dinner at the La Tortilla Cooking School. Our group had plenty of laughs and had the oppertunity to learn about the food culture of Antigua Guatemala. We made a famous dish called pepian, and even got the chance the makeparty our own corn flour tortillas to eat along with the meal. We were all given a task to help with the coming together of our food, some did better than others, but overall it was an amazing experience that I cannot wait to write about in my journal and share with back home!

Luchi

Guatemala changed my life!!

Of course I would recommend the health program in Guatemala. This simply changed my life. My stay at the home of a local family was very enjoyable. I received a lot of affection and was treated as part of the family. In the health center I learned a lot and met excellent professionals. Besides, Gloria, Carlos and Alex were very kind to me, they looked after me and cared about my well-being at all times. My volunteering in Guatemala was unforgettable and very important for my career as a doctor.
Guatemala is a wonderful country with very friendly people and beautiful places. On my days off I traveled to Antigua and Lake Atitlan. I felt very safe traveling around the country and met lovely people!

Response from INLEXCA

Luchi! So great to hear from you and thank you for leaving a review for us! I hope you are well!!