By INLEXCA   Reviews (7)   96% Rating
Help communities in Guatemala through our volunteer program!

INLEXCA: Volunteer in Guatemala

By INLEXCA   Reviews (7)   96% Rating

In the land of trees, volcanoes and amazing cultural experiences, we offer great programs
both with groups and individuals. Guatemala is in great need of volunteers to help it develop.

We offer many different projects for a variety of skills and experiences where help is needed.

We offer programs in:

-Education (schools or afterschool programs)
-Health and medicine (for medical and nursing students)
-Sustainable agriculture
-Micro finance and Small business
-Childcare (low income kinders and orphanages)
-Working with handicapped persons
-Marine Wildlife

The program can range anywhere from 2 weeks to 24 weeks

Includes:
-Welcome at airport
-Transport to host community and project.
-On call support from in country staff and emergency assistance.
-Orientation to the country, host community and volunteer work
-Accommodation with a host family with 2 meals per day

North America › Guatemala › Antigua
Cost
Includes:
-Welcome at airport
-Transport to host community and project.
-On call support from in country staff and emergency assistance.
-Orientation to the country, host community and volunteer work

Joey
Troy, Missouri

Great

Overall 10

On our second night on the trip we cooked our own dinner at the La Tortilla Cooking School. Our group had plenty of laughs and had the oppertunity to learn about the food culture of Antigua Guatemala. We made a famous dish called pepian, and even got the chance the makeparty our own corn flour tortillas to eat along with the meal. We were all given a task to help with the coming together of our food, some did better than others, but overall it was an amazing experience that I cannot wait to write about in my journal and share with back home!

Luchi

Guatemala changed my life!!

Overall 10

Of course I would recommend the health program in Guatemala. This simply changed my life. My stay at the home of a local family was very enjoyable. I received a lot of affection and was treated as part of the family. In the health center I learned a lot and met excellent professionals. Besides, Gloria, Carlos and Alex were very kind to me, they looked after me and cared about my well-being at all times. My volunteering in Guatemala was unforgettable and very important for my career as a doctor.
Guatemala is a wonderful country with very friendly people and beautiful places. On my days off I traveled to Antigua and Lake Atitlan. I felt very safe traveling around the country and met lovely people!

Provider Response

Luchi! So great to hear from you and thank you for leaving a review for us! I hope you are well!!

Steve
London

2 weeks in Guatemala

Overall 10

My stay in Santo Tomas, Milpas Altas was an experience I will never forget. My host family were very kind and couldn´t do enough for me, and the food was excellent.

The school where I was placed was a pleasure to work at and I was allocated a teacher, Ms Edlin, who guided me through the first few days. Gradually she loosened the reins so that I became more and more immersed in the day to day activities and was able to take classes on my own, which was sometimes slightly alarming but always good fun. The students were nearly always kean to learn and were very interested in my accent, where I came from, and the girls were especially interested in my blonde blue eyed son lol.

For 6 afternoons during my stay I spent time at the local EDUSI project which was attended by local children and their parents and was even more relaxed, and very enjoyable.

Altogether it was a great experience and I look forward to the next placement!

Out of a maximum of 9 days at school, 3 were cancelled due to presentations, school elections, other activities, so that a total of maybe 5-6 days were actually spent in the classroom.
Sarah
Sacramento, CA
Auburn University

Trip of a Lifetime

Overall 9

Everyone there was so incredibly nice to me! For example, I went to a coworkers graduation, and as I was waiting for him to grab his stuff, I was making conversation with one of his friends for maybe 3-5 minutes. After only talking for that short amount of time, he invited me to a family trip to the city. Being crazy enough to accept, he picked me up and we went to his aunt's house for the weekend where I was treated like part of the family. There was nothing scary about it; many people just open their homes up to kind strangers. Furthermore, the family I was placed with could not have been sweeter! They truly treated me as their daughter and made me feel as comfortable as humanly possible.

My only critique is to have a clearer explanation of the program on the website. I was expecting to go into a construction project and ended up working in agriculture.
Theresia
Cork, Ireland
Cork Institute of Technology

My volunteering experiences in Guatemala

Overall 8

Overall my experience was very positive. I had a lovely 'home' with a 'mum' who was a great cook. I worked for 3 weeks on 2 different projects which gave me the opportunity to experience even more. It suited me well, although I can imagine that not everybody would be happy with it,as it takes longer to familiarise oneself with the people and the work in the projects.
In 1 project I painted a mural with 5 and 6 year old boys and girls in their classroom. The wall preparations I did alone in the afternoons when they were off; I magnified drawings they had prepared; the painting was done with all the children in a couple of mornings - these were quite mad mornings but very much fun and very satisfactory. The finishing off (where they couldn't reach) I did alone again in some afternoons. It was brilliant to see how proud they were of 'their' wall. And the nuns of the school were almost equally excited!
In the other project I assisted in a soup kitchen where twice a week a lunch was prepared for around a hundred children of a very poor area. Although it initially was a bit unclear to me what I was expected to do as the 2 cooks were perfectly able to do the work without me, it was still lovely to help and get to know the project. A typical work (half) day started with tortilla making, then, when the children were coming, play games with them. Next handing out the lunches and finally help clean and wash everything. Before going down to this 'job' I would have Spanish tuition.
I regretted that I didn't speak better Spanish. Although I didn't come totally unprepared, it wasn't enough to be able to have a bit of conversation. As a result it sometimes was a bit lonely as I didn't work with other volunteers, nor did I meet any.
I also realise that 3 weeks is a very short time to volunteer and ideally one should go for a longer time - I am convinced that everybody profits more from a longer volunteering period.

Josefine
Berlin, Germany

Turtle Project and Teaching

Overall 10

Guatemala is an awesome country with people who are even more awesome! I enjoyed every second being there and made lots of great experiences. They are based on people mostly. The culture is so different and unique that I could never stop asking questions to my mayan hostfamily. You can integrate quite fast when you are open-minded and willing to experience. Working with turtles was one of the best things I have done in my life. The turtle project is really small and in an isolated village but this is just what makes it perfect. You cannot expect luxious but you will find awesome wildlife and experience a whole different way of lifestyle. Spanishclasses at INLEX are good and helpful, so you should take advantage of it because without speaking Spanish you cannot get as close to the people. Thank you for my perfect stay in Guatemala! I will never forget it!

more transparency of money flows.
Felix
Stuttgart, Germany

Volunteer in Guatemala

Overall 10

I really enjoyed the program.
I got to live in a Guatemalen family and participate in their daily life.
The project was also fun because I could help little kids and teach English and Math.

There always is a very high amount of self initiative if you want to help. Especially in my project there was not a certain thing where they said: "We need this".
Therefore the program can vary a lot from expectations people have.

INLEXCA offers volunteer programs , group volunteering and internships in Guatemala, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua. Our programs are customized to the participants to create great cultural experiences.

Community Photos: