Bamboo - Guatemala Volunteer Program

Bamboo - Guatemala Volunteer Program

Bamboo currently has opportunities to work on a range of projects in Guatemala. Volunteers can become involved in healthcare, childcare, teaching, construction and animal care / animal rights projects.

All volunteers will be based in La Antigua, one of the most popular destinations for tourist and Guatemalans alike, and is famous for the preservation of its colonial architecture, a UNESCO world heritage site.

Volunteers may choose to work in the following areas: Childcare, Teaching English, Construction, Healthcare, Animal Rights

North America » Guatemala » Antigua
North America » Guatemala
It is free to join Bamboo GVN. If your application is successful you will be invited to "Join US". We will then get to work organizing your placement and we will send further detail on your placement with information on how to prepare for your trip abroad.

The cost for your time in the Guatemala program varies depending on how long you would like to volunteer for. Placements are from 1 weeks to 24 weeks.

Hi Michelle, According to the GVN website- "You must be 18 years or older to volunteer. There is no upper limit for volunteers; we only require that volunteers are in good health. Under 18's wishing to volunteer with an adult will be considered on a case-by-case basis."

Mike
Florida
Vanderbilt University

Solid volunteer opportunity

Had a great time volunteering with Freddy and the construction crew at Casa Maria. The residents seemed to be extremely appreciative that we were there and it was a fun and rewarding experience.

Provide information beforehand as to what is being constructed and what type of work to expect. I enjoyed doing block work but it would have still been nice to know prior to the trip.

Gary
South Florida
University of New Mexico

Interacting with the children

I was fortunate to have worked in Antigua, Guatemala, an old, well-preserved colonial city west of the capital. Part of my morning was spent in an advanced Spanish class with a wonderful teacher. We had ample time to to converse only in Spanish (the teacher had limited English ability, which worked in our favour). The teacher gently corrected my errors, some of which I was not even aware that I was making.
Shortly after 12 noon, I would go to the bus station to take the bus to a mostly indigenous village several kilometers away where I reported to work at an afternoon child care center. I worked mostly with 3rd grade students, helping them with their homework, and then teaching an English class to a group of 6th grade students. It's amazing how quickly the students became attached to me, and how I became attached to the students. At the end of my month's stay (which seemed to pass all to quickly), it was tears all around as the center held a going away party for me. I certainly learned a lot about Guatemalan youth, probably more than any knowledge that I imparted to the students. The center's directors were very supportive, and thanks to email, we can communicate with each other.
My living conditions were very adequate; I lodged with a family with two children (elementary and high school ages). The meals were super, with Guatemalan and Salvadorean specialities. The hosts would converse with me and the other guests, which further increased our Spanish-language abilities.

The hosting organisation provided me with many ESL teaching materials which I used with the children. Practical supplies were hard to come by at the center, but improvisations could always make up for that.

Bamboo is the next step in independent volunteering and adventure travel.

We're dedicated to pushing the boundaries of what responsible tourism is all about. Our dedicated team, consisting of the perfect mix of international travellers and passionate locals, know exactly how to ensure that both