Come to Guatemala for a unique blend of learning Spanish, sea turtle & marine conservation, volunteering, active volcanoes, Mayan culture & adventure!
First week in Antigua: Guatemala’s ‘must visit’ destination filled with history and vibrant culture, enjoying homestay accommodation. Each morning there are Spanish lessons with one day volunteering in a local junior school.
Week two: your cultural immersion continues as you transfer 80km south to the beautiful Pacific coastal village of Monterrico. A busy schedule of Spanish lessons, community volunteering and marine conservation to help you maximize your time.
Week three (optional): sea turtle & marine conservation at ARCAS (Hawaii beach). Focus is the important sea turtle nesting grounds and mangrove forest.
Volunteers pay a fee in order to cover the cost of their stay and contribute to the volunteer programs. It helps us make an impact in the community and provides you with an amazing Guatemalan experience!
The setting of Monterrico is one of the finest on the Pacific coast, with the scenery reduced to its basic elements: a strip sand, a line of powerful surf, a huge ocean and an enormous curving horizon. The village is a friendly and relaxed place fringed by the waters of the Canal de Chiquimulilla, which weaves through a fantastic network of mangrove forests. The atmosphere changes a little on weekends when party-geared visitors from the capital fill up the hotels.
This program has two start dates per month and can be taken for 2 or 4 weeks. Week 1 will be in Antigua a place of rare beauty, major historical significance, vibrant culture and a global hot spot. Week 3 is based in Monterrico - learning Spanish and doing a variety of community based volunteer projects including in local schools. Weeks 2 & 4 are based at a turtle and wildlife sanctuary at aneighbouring beach.
Beautiful setting with lots of variety - we look forward to hearing from you!
- First week in Antigua enjoying homestay accommodation & Spanish lessons before transferring to Monterrico - a cool pacific beachside location famous for sea turtles and unique biosphere.
- Meaningful volunteering includes volunteering in local schools and sea turtle & marine conservation.
- Turbo charge your Spanish with intensive lessons during first two weeks - tailored to all levels - combined with interactions with local people through volunteering.
- A busy program including accommodation, meals, Spanish lessons, volunteering, transfer from Antigua to Monterrico and 24/7 program support.
- Two start dates per month but welcome to arrive anytime - we also arrange airport transfers on request (1+ hour from Guatemala City).
In Antigua one morning is spent volunteering in a local school. As well as being a classroom assistant you will also assist during meal and recreational periods.
In Monterrico our focus is community and environmental volunteering including sea turtle conservation. We work closely with ARCAS - a wildlife rescue & conservation centre supported by the Guatemalan government with a primary objective to protect the areas vitally important seas turtles and to help ensure conservation of the last remaining mangroves in Guatemala.
Activities include maintenance of infrastructure and surroundings (including 3 hatcheries – 70,000 eggs incubated in 2017), beach cleaning, night patrols to look for nesting female turtles (in season), transport of food and water, collection of data and releasing baby turtles into the ocean (in season). We also work with local schools to raise environmental awareness and respect for this special place.