The setting of Monterrico is one of the finest on the Pacific coast, with the scenery reduced to its basic elements: a strip of dead- straight sand, a line of powerful surf, a huge empty ocean and an enormous curving horizon. The village is a friendly and relaxed place fringed by the waters of the Canal de Chiquimulilla, which weaves through a fantastic network of mangrove forests. The atmosphere changes a little on weekends when party-geared visitors from the capital fill up the hotels.
- Pacific beachside location staying at a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach - breakfast & lunch included - with wifi, swimming pool and beach volleyball
- Meaningful volunteering including placement at sea turtle sanctuary
- Turbo charge your Spanish with intensive lessons for beginner, intermediate & advanced (15 hours per week during weeks 1 & 3)
- A busy program but lots of cool stuff to do during free time including kayaking mangrove forest, surfing, horseriding
- Two start dates per month but welcome to arrive anytime - we also arrange airport transfers on request (2 1/2 hours from Guatemala City)
What to Expect
During weeks 1 & 3 each day Monday to Friday we have 3 hours intensive Spanish lessons (3 x 45 mins with 15 minute breaks between lessons) AND 3 hours volunteering.
Spanish lessons will usually be in the mornings from 09:00 – 11:45, after breakfast, but occasionally will be scheduled for the afternoon to facilitate access to schools where a lot of our volunteer activities will be focused.These lessons will be tailored to suit all levels, from beginner to advanced, and are designed to help you interact with the local community.
Volunteering tasks are varied and we enlist junior school pupils in many of our projects – many hands make light work! Part of our objective/legacy is to ensure that today’s kids become model citizens enjoying and respecting the local environment including wildlife to be found in the nearby Mangrove forest, and sea life including turtles that nest here.
During weeks 2 & 4 we move 3km up the coast to ARCAS for a residential volunteer placement. ARCAS is a wildlife rescue & conservation association supported by the Guatemalan government with a primary objective to protect the regions most important seas turtles and to help ensure conservation of the last remaining mangroves in Guatemala.
Volunteers work between 6-10 hours per day and jobs include; maintenance of infrastructure and surroundings, beach cleaning, night patrols to look for nesting female turtles (in season), transport of food and water, collection of data and releasing baby turtles into the ocean (in season).
- Breakfast & lunch (brunch at weekends)
- 15 intensive Spanish lessons
- Volunteer activities (including residential placements at ARCAS)
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance
Housing & Meals
Your base in Monterrico is El Delfin Hotel – a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach with hammocks, swimming pool and lots of toys (including wifi!) to help you relax and unwind during your free time. The program is quite busy but there is still free time to enjoy a great social life and participate in the many other activities you can enjoy here.
NOTE : though program start date is Sunday you are welcome to arrive early and pay for extra nights bed & breakfast. We are open 365 days a year!
Fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, tortillas and plantains for breakfast served beachside while staying at the El Delfin Hotel.