Sea Turtle Conservation & Learn Spanish in Guatemala with Monterrico Adventure

Tim Poullain-Patterson Profile Picture
Monterrico Adventure
Project Coordinator: Tim

About This Program

The setting of Monterrico is one of the finest on the Pacific coast, with the scenery reduced to its basic elements: a strip of dead- straight sand, a line of powerful surf, a huge empty ocean and an enormous curving horizon. The village is a friendly and relaxed place fringed by the waters of the Canal de Chiquimulilla, which weaves through a fantastic network of mangrove forests. The atmosphere changes a little on weekends when party-geared visitors from the capital fill up the hotels.

• Pacific beachside location staying at a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach - breakfast & lunch included - with wifi, swimming pool and beach volleyball
  • Meaningful volunteering including placement at sea turtle sanctuary
  • Turbo charge your Spanish with intensive lessons for beginner, intermediate & advanced (15 hours per week during weeks 1 & 3)
  • A busy program but lots of cool stuff to do during free time including kayaking mangrove forest, surfing, horseriding
  • Two start dates per month but welcome to arrive anytime - we also arrange airport transfers on request (2 1/2 hours from Guatemala City)

During weeks 1 & 3 each day Monday to Friday we have 3 hours intensive Spanish lessons (3 x 45 mins with 15 minute breaks between lessons) AND 3 hours volunteering.

Spanish lessons will usually be in the mornings from 09:00 – 11:45, after breakfast, but occasionally will be scheduled for the afternoon to facilitate access to schools where a lot of our volunteer activities will be focused.These lessons will be tailored to suit all levels, from beginner to advanced, and are designed to help you interact with the local community.

Volunteering tasks are varied and we enlist junior school pupils in many of our projects – many hands make light work! Part of our objective/legacy is to ensure that today’s kids become model citizens enjoying and respecting the local environment including wildlife to be found in the nearby Mangrove forest, and sea life including turtles that nest here.

During weeks 2 & 4 we move 3km up the coast to ARCAS for a residential volunteer placement. ARCAS is a wildlife rescue & conservation association supported by the Guatemalan government with a primary objective to protect the regions most important seas turtles and to help ensure conservation of the last remaining mangroves in Guatemala.

Volunteers work between 6-10 hours per day and jobs include; maintenance of infrastructure and surroundings, beach cleaning, night patrols to look for nesting female turtles (in season), transport of food and water, collection of data and releasing baby turtles into the ocean (in season).

What's Included
  • Accommodation
  • Breakfast & lunch (brunch at weekends)
  • 15 intensive Spanish lessons
  • Volunteer activities (including residential placements at ARCAS)
What's Not Included
  • Travel insurance
  • Flights

Your base in Monterrico is El Delfin Hotel – a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach with hammocks, swimming pool and lots of toys (including wifi!) to help you relax and unwind during your free time. The program is quite busy but there is still free time to enjoy a great social life and participate in the many other activities you can enjoy here.

NOTE : though program start date is Sunday you are welcome to arrive early and pay for extra nights bed & breakfast. We are open 365 days a year!

Meals

Fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, tortillas and plantains for breakfast served beachside while staying at the El Delfin Hotel.

Pricing and Availability

Laura

Amazing volunteering experience in Monterrico!

I volunteered in the beautiful town of Monterrico for two weeks. At the start of the program I was welcomed very warmly by Gabriel and Grace in Hotel El Delfin (right on the beach with a swimming pool!!). The hotel has a great view of the incredibly beautiful sunset and you can watch it from your hammock! During the first week of the program I took Spanish classes at the local Spanish school. My Spanish teacher, Jorge, got me talking Spanish very quickly. Besides my Spanish classes, I taught English at the Curvina school to kids between 7 and 9 years old. With games like bingo the kids learned English words and they defenitely taught me some Spanish too! On wednesday and friday we cleaned the beach and the mangroves with the kids and locals. You have no idea how much garbage was just lying there in the beautiful nature. That is why Monterrico Adventure also educates the kids and the community to throw there garbage in the trash bin.
During my second week, I volunteered at ARCAS, a wildlife rescue & conservation association. Here, I took care of the parrots, turtles and crocodiles by feeding them and cleaning there cages. The staff also took me kayaking in the Mangrove lake and showed me how to make an amazing smoothie with the cashew nut fruit from a tree that grows in the garden. After my second week I returned to Hotel El Delfin for their Saturday night celebrations with a live band and a lot of cocktails! That was a perfect ending to an amazing volunteering experience!!

Aaron

Fun and Friendly

I spent over a week around Monterrico. The town feels small, friendly, safe, and fun. The staff at Hotel Delfin are always smiling and having a good time. After having just met you once, when they see you again they will come up to greet you with a smile and high five. The beach bar has a lively vibe with a great view. The restaurant is open air and right on the beach and a good chill spot to use wi-fi or chat up a new friend. I met lots of interesting people in Monterrico, from other young travelers willing to party, to friendly expats willing to share their knowledge, to locals wiling to chat about life.