Trama Textiles is a cooperative of Guatemalan artisans who preserve ancient Mayan traditions through the techniques of backstrap loom weaving, making different types of products to sell in local and international markets using fair trade principles. The cooperative allows dozens of indigenous women to become economically independent, without having to give up their cultural identity.
We are looking for volunteers in the following sectors:
Textile design and manufacturing
Web development, SEO or e-commerce strategies.
Commitment and Benefits:
Volunteers work for at least a month, working around 10-20 hours a week.
They have the opportunity to learn about Mayan textile culture and, if they wish, they can also visit the artisans in their villages.
We also happily accept virtual volunteers!
- Opportunity to learn about ancient Mayan traditions and textiles
- Improve your Spanish skills
- Work directly with indigenous women and experience their way of life
- Partner with an enthusiastic team of volunteers from all over the world
- Improve your professional skills
It was amazing to work directly with indigenous weavers and to contribute to building a better infrastructure for them that would help for years to come. Overall, it was an incredible experience and will be planning to go back in the future. "
Volunteer with Trama Textiles